Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need Help Purchasing New Open Back Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Help Purchasing New Open Back Headphones

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hello, I am looking to purchase some new headphones that are open back. I want open back specifically because the closed back headphones make my head too hot. I currently own some ATH-M50s and I love the sound but they make my head hot after wearing them too long. Also the isolation is so good that I can't gauge how loud I am talking when playing games or talking on skype so I tend to be too loud. Right now I have been considering the HD 518, HD 558, or ATH-AD700. I really like the look of the HDs but I was wondering what you guys would suggest or if there are some headphones that I have overlooked. I am looking to not spend more than $200 on headphones. Also if I could avoid buying an AMP that would be a plus. Thank you for your help.

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQKachoo View Post

Hello, I am looking to purchase some new headphones that are open back. I want open back specifically because the closed back headphones make my head too hot. I currently own some ATH-M50s and I love the sound but they make my head hot after wearing them too long. Also the isolation is so good that I can't gauge how loud I am talking when playing games or talking on skype so I tend to be too loud. Right now I have been considering the HD 518, HD 558, or ATH-AD700. I really like the look of the HDs but I was wondering what you guys would suggest or if there are some headphones that I have overlooked. I am looking to not spend more than $200 on headphones. Also if I could avoid buying an AMP that would be a plus. Thank you for your help.

I guess we can assume this for use with a Win PC using on-board audio?

 

Pick up some used HD558s from Amazon ($117) and maybe add an Xonar DG ($20-$30) or DGX ($30-$45) sound card.

ATH-AD700 has some good audio quality, but they are too bass light.

 

Or for something low cost, the Takstar Hi2050 (Technica Pro HPT-990), $70

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 

Thank you for your advice. It really helped. :)

post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 

One more question. I have been reading things about doing the foam mod on the 558s. I was wondering if it was actually worth doing?

post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQKachoo View Post

One more question. I have been reading things about doing the foam mod on the 558s. I was wondering if it was actually worth doing?

Removing the BRT (black rubber tape) from inside the cups of the Sennheiser HD558?

I did it two weeks after buying my HD558s, that was 2 years ago.

I think (guess) Sennheiser added the BRT to the HD558s to make them sound more different then the HD598, as they both use the same driver.

(the outer shell covering (opening) is still different, between the HD558 & HD598)

I think the BRT gives the HD558 a more bassy sound or maybe it's more to cripple the HD558s mids and highs (make a guess).

Anyway I think most people who remove the BRT, never put them back in.

post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 

Thank you for the insight and responses. I am going to order my 558s when i get home.

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQKachoo View Post

Thank you for the insight and responses. I am going to order my 558s when i get home.

I think my HD558 are great all around headphones, they work plugged into anything.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need Help Purchasing New Open Back Headphones