Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600 - Page 2

post #16 of 159
Thread Starter 

Ah well, ordered some D600.... Just hope these are an improvement on the Momentums


Edited by nicholars - 6/24/13 at 2:22am
post #17 of 159
I really think people didn't like the styling changes (myself included) so they kind of wrote them off. The d600 looks good but the d7100 just looks awful esp compared to the old d7000. I think if the d600 will get more love once they read more favorable comparisons to the d2000/d5000
post #18 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

I really think people didn't like the styling changes (myself included) so they kind of wrote them off. The d600 looks good but the d7100 just looks awful esp compared to the old d7000. I think if the d600 will get more love once they read more favorable comparisons to the d2000/d5000

 

Mmmm it is a bit odd why Denon would decide to stop the Dxxxx line and then replace it with an uglier, worse sounding line lol.... I agree that the D7100 do not look good for the price and from what I read don't sound much better than the D600 anyway.... Reading around the opinions of the D600 at the current pricing around £250 the reviews seem to be mostly favourable.... I think it was when Denon released a headphone that looked worse than D5000 and cost more, people were put off (at £450)... Ah well even if the D600 is similar sound quality to the D5000 for the price I paid I will be happy, I don't think they look THAT bad either.


Edited by nicholars - 6/24/13 at 8:15am
post #19 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Do the D600 have less sibilance and treble than the D2000? also is the midrange better than the D2000?

On the D2000 I found the treble was too sibilant... ("SSSSSSSSS" sounds)... After a couple of hours I was like "argh I have to take these off now because the SSSS are hurting my ear drums" ...

Also the midrange was too recessed or V shaped as you said ...

I will give them a try I think but I am a bit worried that they will be too bright in the treble looking at the FR graphs.

I recall the D2000 as being fatiguing to my ears more than sibilant per se. But I definitely have not found the D600 to be either sibilant or fatiguing.
post #20 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow Fish View Post


I recall the D2000 as being fatiguing to my ears more than sibilant per se. But I definitely have not found the D600 to be either sibilant or fatiguing.

 

Good, looking forward to them, reading on head-fi it seems to be the same old people who like to parrot other people and say these are bad without even hearing them, for example one person says they don't measure as well and have some problems compared to D5000 for whatever reason, then about 15 parrots start repeating this, without even hearing the headphones, and a negative impression is spread about them.

 

Looking at actual reviews of people that have actually owned them, they seem mostly positive at the current prices, I can even live with worse sound than the D2000/D5000 if the just have less sibilant treble, sound good overall, and have a big soundstage. My only worries about these is the reports of bad mids, but looking at the FR graph the mids from 300hz > 3Khz do not look too recessed so hopefully they will be OK. I do wish that people on head-fi would stop commenting on things they have not actually heard.


Edited by nicholars - 6/24/13 at 9:04am
post #21 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Good, looking forward to them, reading on head-fi it seems to be the same old people who like to parrot other people and say these are bad without even hearing them, for example one person says they don't measure as well and have some problems compared to D5000 for whatever reason, then about 15 parrots start repeating this, without even hearing the headphones, and a negative impression is spread about them.

 

Looking at actual reviews of people that have actually owned them, they seem mostly positive at the current prices, I can even live with worse sound than the D2000/D5000 if the just have less sibilant treble, sound good overall, and have a big soundstage. My only worries about these is the reports of bad mids, but looking at the FR graph the mids from 300hz > 3Khz do not look too recessed so hopefully they will be OK. I do wish that people on head-fi would stop commenting on things they have not actually heard, hype or negative comments

 

This will always happen! ;-)

If you check on the D600 thread you will actually find a lot of positive impressions along with the cons for the headphone. I think mine should be somewhere there too... I found that on some songs the D600 would actually sound a bit harsh (brighter) than I like and it definitely has "boomy" bass, but at the time I did not found the bass to be earth-shattering. After trying more headphones, the D600 bass is DEFINITELY more present than on other headphones I tried. Still boomy, a bit better controlled sub-bass than the D5000 but the mids left a lot to be desired (again, compared to the D5000s).

 

But all in all, enjoyable headphones, comfortable, and with a good deal of accessories. I'd recommend them for the $200 - $300 range easily. On that range too, I actually find the Yamaha Pro 500s to be better sounding BUT comfort... ugh!

 

Anyway, enjoy your new cans and post your impressions! ;-)

post #22 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Mmmm it is a bit odd why Denon would decide to stop the Dxxxx line and then replace it with an uglier, worse sounding line lol....

What happened apparently was that the "old" Denons were actually Fostex and now Denon decided to go at it herself, solo. This would explain the disaster (and judging by the measurements the D7100 are indeed a disaster).

post #23 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstar View Post

What happened apparently was that the "old" Denons were actually Fostex and now Denon decided to go at it herself, solo. This would explain the disaster (and judging by the measurements the D7100 are indeed a disaster).

 

Again, someone who has not actually heard the headphones giving a negative view, also do you have any evidence of this? They still have the Fostex nano fibre drivers I think?

 

Literally I have spent the last hour or so looking at the D600 threads.... about 80% of the negative comments are people who have not actually heard the headphones....  most of the other reviews have been positive, also a lot of people owning flagship headphones and comparing them to D600 still think they are good.

 

Anyway I will stop speculating and listen to them myself, after a few years on head-fi I have realised that you can speculate all you like but everyones opinion of sound is different and the ONLY way to know is to find some which are generally favorable and match the FR you are looking for then buy the headphones and listen to them yourself.


Edited by nicholars - 6/24/13 at 9:33am
post #24 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

I really think people didn't like the styling changes (myself included) so they kind of wrote them off. The d600 looks good but the d7100 just looks awful esp compared to the old d7000. I think if the d600 will get more love once they read more favorable comparisons to the d2000/d5000

 

If I ever find who started this, I'm going to wring them up by their ears wink.gif. It has been the seeming unanimous fallback to the D600/D7100 sounding bad. 

post #25 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

If I ever find who started this, I'm going to wring them up by their ears wink.gif. It has been the seeming unanimous fallback to the D600/D7100 sounding bad. 

 

Have you heard them? Most people who have listened to them and compared to similar headphones, seem to think they are good at the new prices....


Edited by nicholars - 6/24/13 at 10:14am
post #26 of 159

They're not bad, but I think I prefer every other headphone in its price range, i.e., AKG K702 65th Annies, HE400, DT880, Momentum, Mad Dog, HD600.

post #27 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limniscate View Post

They're not bad, but I think I prefer every other headphone in its price range, i.e., AKG K702 65th Annies, HE400, DT880, Momentum, Mad Dog, HD600.

 

Hmmm but all of those except the Momentum and DT880 are almost double the price that I paid in the UK for the D600.

post #28 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Literally I have spent the last hour or so looking at the D600 threads.... about 80% of the negative comments are people who have not actually heard the headphones....  most of the other reviews have been positive, also a lot of people owning flagship headphones and comparing them to D600 still think they are good.

 

Anyway I will stop speculating and listen to them myself, after a few years on head-fi I have realised that you can speculate all you like but everyones opinion of sound is different and the ONLY way to know is to find some which are generally favorable and match the FR you are looking for then buy the headphones and listen to them yourself.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Have you heard them? Most people who have listened to them and compared to similar headphones, seem to think they are good at the new prices....

 

I think this is the second biggest claim of the D7100/D600 fans. "If you don't love these, then you just must not have heard them."  Many people who have these headphones are also dead set on defending them, regardless of any facts presented. Try to step back and analytically review the headphones instead of emotionally defending a purchase. 

 

What makes you think I haven't heard them? All my claims are based on experience. There's a small number of headphones that currently on the market that I haven't owned or at least heard. I spent 7 days with the D7100, and I have a pair of D600. 

post #29 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

 

 

 

I think this is the second biggest claim of the D7100/D600 fans. "If you don't love these, then you just must not have heard them."  Many people who have these headphones are also dead set on defending them, regardless of any facts presented. Try to step back and analytically review the headphones instead of emotionally defending a purchase. 

 

What makes you think I haven't heard them? All my claims are based on experience. There's a small number of headphones that currently on the market that I haven't owned or at least heard. I spent 7 days with the D7100, and I have a pair of D600. 

 

Yep well I am not emotionally defending my purchase, I am perfectly capable of viewing things objectively and will do this, if I don't like them I will not keep them... not sure why you are getting all offensive about it as I am merely saying what I have read,there does seem to be a large majority of people posting negative comments who have not ACTUALLY HEARD the headphones, also people who have heard them and compared to other good headphones the views are mixed, some good, some bad, some average... Why do you still own the D600 if you dislike them?

 

2 of my pet peves about head-fi are - Parroting comments without actually trying headphones and people emotionally defending purchases.

 

I admit that the D600 do not look brilliant on paper, the FR looks alright to me except slightly uneven upper mids and treble and the square waves do not look amazing... But from what I have read they seem worth a try and I will report back my opinions. I just want some headphones which sound decent, are fun for electronic music and decent soundstage for games, as well as obviously comfort... Hopefully these will tick these boxes.


Edited by nicholars - 6/24/13 at 10:43am
post #30 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Hmmm but all of those except the Momentum and DT880 are almost double the price that I paid in the UK for the D600.

The D600 are priced at $388 on amazon.com.  Where can you get them for cheaper?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600