Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600

post #1 of 155
Thread Starter 

The Denon Dxxxx series had loads of reviews on head-fi, thousands of posts in the appreciation threads etc.

 

Then the D600 and D7100 come along and seems like it was a bit of a "damp squib"... It has the free edge nano fibre drivers and some people report it is an improvement over the Dxxxx series...

 

But there seems to be hardly any threads or talk about them, Why? Do they sound bad?

post #2 of 155
Well the folk that have them like them mostly...smily_headphones1.gif I bought a pair of the D7100's and have been pleased with them. Comfy to use for long periods, well made and good sound to my ears. Deep bass and good detail, though not as much as my HD800's obviously, but still good.
post #3 of 155
Thread Starter 

I might pick some up and try them, I am looking for something that has a bigger soundstage than the Momentums, hopefully not too bright, the frequency response on the D600 does look like they have a lot of treble..

post #4 of 155

I think they are so-so. I think at most they are worth $250 new. They are definitely good for comfort and providing a somewhat open sound (although the instrument separation isn't stellar). SQ wise, they are a bassy sound, but what's most unfortunate, is that the bass isn't very controlled, which means the bass just kind of bloats out and overruns any chance of detail or midrange. I'm getting a pair of UE6000 and intend to shoot out the two. 

post #5 of 155
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

I think they are so-so. I think at most they are worth $250 new. They are definitely good for comfort and providing a somewhat open sound (although the instrument separation isn't stellar). SQ wise, they are a bassy sound, but what's most unfortunate, is that the bass isn't very controlled, which means the bass just kind of bloats out and overruns any chance of detail or midrange. I'm getting a pair of UE6000 and intend to shoot out the two. 

 

I have the UE6000 at the moment... Not the best for bass tightness tbh, although they are decent headphones, I have read everything from tight bass to bloated as you say there.... Hmmm I think I will just buy a pair and try them.... I would be completely happy with the Sennheiser Momentums but the size of them and the small soundstage annoys me.

post #6 of 155
Probably Because every one (including me) thought they were not a suitable upgrade from the previous gen. But, are they bad?? Nop. At least I liked the D600s,...
post #7 of 155
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

Probably Because every one (including me) thought they were not a suitable upgrade from the previous gen. But, are they bad?? Nop. At least I liked the D600s,...

 

Yeh but the Dxxxx were one of the best headphones in the world for sub bass and certain genres..... So even if the D600 are 85% of the D5000 and have decent bass, less sibilant treble and more mids... Then they sound like they are worth a try anyway.....

 

The measurements on Innerfidelity do not look as good as the old Dxxxx series though.... I think I will give them a chance because I cannot think of any other headphones ~£200 which will work for me... Closed and good for EDM while also being good for gaming and decent at other genres.... Momentums are the best I have tried so far, followed by the UE6000... But the UE6000 is a bit lacking in detail and overall sound quality and the Momentums are too damn small!

 

I notice that some people who have high end flagships etc. Seem to think the D600 are decent, so they can't be that bad....


Edited by nicholars - 6/23/13 at 8:28pm
post #8 of 155

If I can find a good used one I might try it, I've read a couple of posts from people that say it matches up well against the D5000.  I find that very appealing, and it's a lot cheaper..

post #9 of 155

I like the D600 at least as much as the D5000, if not a little bit more, even though it can be a little bit edgy at times.

post #10 of 155
Thread Starter 

Hmmm this is a bit worrying because I found the D2000 too bright... Especially the problem I had was too much sibilance...

 

Is the D600 even worse than the D2000? Hmmm hope not, suppose the only way is to try because everyone seems to have different opinions anyway.

post #11 of 155
I have the D600 and like them a lot. I had D2000 for a while but sold. Too V shaped for me. D600 retains the fulsome bass but with a more balanced signature which I prefer. And they are very comfortable, and come with two cables (one with mic and controls).

I agree that they have not gotten much love because lovers of the D2000 did not think the change was a suitable upgrade.
post #12 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow Fish View Post

I have the D600 and like them a lot. I had D2000 for a while but sold. Too V shaped for me. D600 retains the fulsome bass but with a more balanced signature which I prefer. And they are very comfortable, and come with two cables (one with mic and controls).

I agree that they have not gotten much love because lovers of the D2000 did not think the change was a suitable upgrade.

Honestly never understood what the fuss was about. I had the D2000s and loved them; They're amazing headphones. Now I have the D600s and love them. Very fun cans, definitely suggest a try. 

post #13 of 155
Thread Starter 

Do the D600 have less sibilance and treble than the D2000? also is the midrange better than the D2000?

 

On the D2000 I found the treble was too sibilant... ("SSSSSSSSS" sounds)... After a couple of hours I was like "argh I have to take these off now because the SSSS are hurting my ear drums" ...

 

Also the midrange was too recessed or V shaped as you said ...

 

I will give them a try I think but I am a bit worried that they will be too bright in the treble looking at the FR graphs.


Edited by nicholars - 6/23/13 at 10:38pm
post #14 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Do the D600 have less sibilance and treble than the D2000? also is the midrange better than the D2000?

 

On the D2000 I found the treble was too sibilant... ("SSSSSSSSS" sounds)... After a couple of hours I was like "argh I have to take these off now because the SSSS are hurting my ear drums" ...

 

Also the midrange was too recessed or V shaped as you said ...

 

I will give them a try I think but I am a bit worried that they will be too bright in the treble looking at the FR graphs.


I am inclined to say that it is your signal source that is causing the problems that you have.

post #15 of 155
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxide View Post


I am inclined to say that it is your signal source that is causing the problems that you have.

 

Hmmm no definately the D2000 are sibilant.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600