Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Audiophile Network, BBSes, and The Good Old Days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audiophile Network, BBSes, and The Good Old Days

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 

Starting this thread for discussion of The Audiophile Network BBS (TAN), BBSes in general, and the "good old days" that went along with them.

 

se

post #2 of 37

Wildcat DID NOT suck.....Just sayin'  biggrin.gif

post #3 of 37
Thread Starter 

Did too suck! QUICKBBS RULZ! ADAM HUDSON IS GOD!

 

So there!

post #4 of 37

You can kiss my Ascii! evil_smiley.gif

 

How did we actually make pictures with that stuff anyway?

post #5 of 37

Blast's from the past!

 

 

 

post #6 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

You can kiss my Ascii! evil_smiley.gif

 

How did we actually make pictures with that stuff anyway?

 

Mostly we used ANSI. But I've seen some pretty incredible stuff done with plain ol' ASCII.

 

se

post #7 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

Blast's from the past!

 

 

HA! No doubt you still have a machine with a 3-1/4" drive in it too, eh? biggrin.gif

 

se

post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post

 

HA! No doubt you still have a machine with a 3-1/4" drive in it too, eh? biggrin.gif

 

Wow, that must be way old/obscure as I don't even know what that is.  Some weird amalgamation of a 5.25" and 3.5"?

post #9 of 37

I do have a 5.25 and a 3.5 around here somewhere. I still have a paper tape project in the closet somewhere too....

 

Anyone need any 10hz 287 chips? How about some 64k ram chips to add to your board?

post #10 of 37

zmodem was awesome!
 

post #11 of 37
My first modem was an Anchor Automation 300 baud. It was not Hayes compatible, and wouldn't even dial and auto-negotiate. This was a predecessor to the later "Volksmodem." It was an external modem with an attached 25 pin ribbon cable. Both the phone line and a phone handset had to be plugged into the modem. You dialed the number manually on the handset, then when the modem on the other end sent it's carrier signal, you flipped a switch on the Anchor modem and the Anchor would then send it's carrier and (hopefully) hook-up at 300 baud and you could hang-up the handset. I suppose it was one step up from an acoustic coupler - but just barely!

I don't remember the TAN BBS - the area I was in didn't have a lot of BBS locally, and I was too poor to spend much time online at long distance rates.

I was a software pirate before it was cool... I talked the geek kid at the local computer shop into making a copy of MS-DOS 2.0 for me. Score!
Edited by billybob_jcv - 6/24/13 at 7:31am
post #12 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Wow, that must be way old/obscure as I don't even know what that is.  Some weird amalgamation of a 5.25" and 3.5"?

 

Smartass. biggrin.gif

 

Yeah, I routinely got the 1/2" and 1/4" part mixed up.

 

se

post #13 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

I do have a 5.25 and a 3.5 around here somewhere. I still have a paper tape project in the closet somewhere too....

 

Anyone need any 10hz 287 chips? How about some 64k ram chips to add to your board?

 

Give me $20 and I'll take those 64k RAM chips off your hands. biggrin.gif

 

Remember when RAM prices shot through the roof when we put tariffs on the Japanese parts because Japan was dumping over here? I remember when a single chip shot up from like $1 to nearly $10.

 

se

post #14 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yage View Post

zmodem was awesome!
 

 

That gives me flashbacks of XMODEM and YMODEM. biggrin.gif

 

I gravitated to the flexible "roll your own" nature of TBBS and its clones, QuickBBS and Remote Access.

 

se

post #15 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

My first modem was an Anchor Automation 300 baud. It was not Hayes compatible, and wouldn't even dial and auto-negotiate. This was a predecessor to the later "Volksmodem." It was an external modem with an attached 25 pin ribbon cable. Both the phone line and a phone handset had to be plugged into the modem. You dialed the number manually on the handset, then when the modem on the other end sent it's carrier signal, you flipped a switch on the Anchor modem and the Anchor would then send it's carrier and (hopefully) hook-up at 300 baud and you could hang-up the handset. I suppose it was one step up from an acoustic coupler - but just barely!
 

 

Thankfully I managed to miss all that and started out with a 1200 baud modem (Hayes compatible of course). Though I dialed into a friend's Commie64 BBS that was using a 300 baud modem so got a taste of how painfully slow they were.

 

Speaking of modems, reminds me of the trick we used to play on the newbies at the local multiline chat system I frequented. We'd tell them that there was a secret backdoor to access the SysOp menu. They'd get all excited and say "Yeah? How do you get to it?" Then we'd say "Just type +++ and wait for a moment."

 

A moment later we'd see the message "So and So has left chat..."

 

For those who don't know, +++ was the command for telling the modem to hang up. So once the newbie, eager to get access to the SysOp menu typed that in, his modem would disconnect and then they'd have to dial back and log in all over again.

 

They'd come back rather pissed, but then they were the most eager to pull the same prank on the next newbie. biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
I don't remember the TAN BBS - the area I was in didn't have a lot of BBS locally, and I was too poor to spend much time online at long distance rates.

 

Yeah. And back then the long distance rates were very high.

 

Quote:
I was a software pirate before it was cool... I talked the geek kid at the local computer shop into making a copy of MS-DOS 2.0 for me. Score!

 

HA!

 

My big score starting out was AutoCAD 2.5 I believe it was.

 

se

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Audiophile Network, BBSes, and The Good Old Days