Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help with a pair of MB Quart QP 805s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help with a pair of MB Quart QP 805s - Page 2

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

So yes - this is about me. Nothing I've said has been irrefutably wrong or "silly."

You stated as fact that burn-in is "more" of a psychological effect for a specific reason. I'll repeat. It has not been proven. It is not a fact.

The OP only wanted to know if he should burn in his headphones. The best answer is not to start up the whole argument in your reply to DC2Light about break in by stating a "theory" as if it is a "fact."

In fact, the better answer to the OPs question is

1) Whether or not described benefits of burn-in are a result of physical break-in or psychological effects is highly controversial. You may or may not notice any benefits.
2) However, it doesn't hurt to burn-in your headphones. Might not even be a bad idea to go ahead and put some hours on them to make certain they are OK within a return period.
3) Still, no reason you can't listen to them right away. No need to wait for them to break-in

If you want to argue about break-in, go find one of the thousands of discussions on the web about it cool.gif
Edited by cel4145 - 6/23/13 at 2:18pm
post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpearce View Post

I would definitely try a few things before tossing the QP-805. They shouldn't sound thin.

Absolutely, try them in some newer amp to see how it compares. Even a fiio should give enough punch to get a better sense of the sound. Next, I would try to get new pads. The stock ones can be very hard to get a good seal, which could be part of the problem. they Beyerdynamic DT770 pads are great, and I have their gel pads on mine--definitely not thin sounding.

The thin German Maestro pads that they put on the new equivalent headphones are also fantastic, maximizing bass impact without messing with the balance. Those are excellent headphones, and I think you will be hard-pressed to do better in that price range.

Good idea. I have a Bel Canto I think I'll try them on. Thanks for the info on the pads as well, I'll have to give those a try too.


Edited by SimplyOrange - 6/23/13 at 2:27pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

If you want to argue about break-in,

pff... you started it.

 

I just gave my opinion and you flew off the handle. Get over it.

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

pff... you started it.

I just gave my opinion and you flew off the handle. Get over it.

Huh? Is English a 2nd language for you? Flying off the handle means to suddenly lose one's temper. I hope I didn't come across that way. I am not/have not been angry in the slightest.
post #20 of 25

To fly off the handle also means to lose one's self control, which was an exaggerated reference to your apparent compulsion to disagree with all my opinions. 

 

Maybe I'll just add "include [IMO] to everything I write" to my signature.

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

To fly off the handle also means to lose one's self control, which was an exaggerated reference to your apparent compulsion to disagree with all my opinions. 

Maybe I'll just add "include [IMO] to everything I write" to my signature.

Agreed. It would be better to make it clear what you mean. Either that, or take your own advice about "flying off the handle" and not pitch a fit because you don't like being disagreed with.
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Agreed. It would be better to make it clear what you mean. Either that, or take your own advice about "flying off the handle" and not pitch a fit because you don't like being disagreed with.

Hah, you don't give up do you? 

 

You made a mistake in calling me silly and take everything you read as you see it without the widely accepted 'pinch of salt'  and insist that I'm the one in the 'wrong' instead of conceding.

You really need to get out of 'college professor mode' and realise this is an internet forum - you're not here to correct peoples English or argue for arguments sake for better grades.

 

Remember, there isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' here. It's all about opinions and experiences, but you seem to be unable to accept others opinions and experiences that differ greatly from your own.

post #23 of 25
My occupation is not relevant here. There's an old saying, "Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some opinions are necessarily better than others." As a consequence, Head-fi does encourage debate when someone has another point of view to offer on an opinion. It might help to learn to discriminate between when someone is attacking the idea you have expressed, vs. when someone has attacked you personally.

As far as "conceding," well, if your statement as fact at the beginning was indeed just an opinion as you say (it was not stated as such), then all you had to do was admit that and that it was a controversial one. That was my major point of contention, and that pretty much ends the disagreement. It can be important to clarify the difference between the fact and opinion since people first coming to learn about audio on this forum often take things written in that way as gospel, not as opinion.
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

 "Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some opinions are necessarily better than others."

Well that just confirms what I've said.

You think you're opinions are more important than mine.

 

That is a very dangerous way of thinking.

If 100 people share the same opinion and 1 person has a different opinion, that doesn't make that 1 person's opinion wrong or less important. 
The 100 people should respect the opinion because it might just be the right one. 

 

And as I said earlier, there is no right or wrong, because 'wrong' for one person, might be 'right' for another.

You're posts have not been about sharing the other side of the coin. You're posts are suggesting my opinions and experiences are just wrong or unimportant. 

 

Your posts are just as confusing and dangerous to first time readers who will end up following the opinion of 'the person who says the other opinions don't count', instead of fully appreciating both sides of the argument.

 

Also,  I've never heard that 'old saying'.

In fact, a quick google search confirms it doesn't even exist - how can such a foolish way of thinking ever be accepted.


Edited by GREQ - 6/24/13 at 10:15am
post #25 of 25
I never said that my opinions regarding burn in are more important, and I have specifically agreed in my first response to you that psychological effects are likely a factor in burn-in and that I don't know whether physical burn in or psychological effects are the greater factor. I see you are from Germany. Is English a 2nd language for you, because you are attributing things to me that I have never said.

Meanwhile, yes. Some opinions are necessarily better than others. For the longest time, people thought the world was flat. That opinion was wrong. And by qualifying my posts as "confusing and dangerous," your argument asserts that your position is better than mine, thus supporting that some opinions are necessary better than others.

Anyway, this is way off track. I am happy to discuss/debate/argue audio science with you. If you don't like what I say, I'm sorry. But debate is encouraged on this forum.
Edited by cel4145 - 6/24/13 at 10:46am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help with a pair of MB Quart QP 805s