Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › looking for portable closed headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

looking for portable closed headphones - Page 2

post #16 of 42

I'd actually go with the Sony MDR-1R which are praised as some as the best overall headphones you can get sub-200$ with great sound performance, portability and exceptional comfort. The UE6000 are very well regarded too, but, at the same price point, may have been supplanted by the MDR-1R, at least according to Tyll Hertsens from Innerfidelity : Logitech UE6000 ($199)

This headphone was retired from the Wall of Fame due to the Sennheiser Momentum [349$] coming out with a better sounding sealed headphone (the 6000 is a bit lacking in mid-to-upper treble), and the Sony MDR-1R arriving with roughly comparable sound quality, but better looks and ergonomics at the same price" http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

post #17 of 42
Thread Starter 

the problem is that website has the pricing wrong the sony MDR-1R are over $200 which is over my budget ..

post #18 of 42
post #19 of 42

Sennheiser HD 380

post #20 of 42
Thread Starter 

i think i'm going to stick to decide between my first 2 choices either the ATH-M50 or the ultrasone hfi-780...decisions...decisions....

post #21 of 42
Out of those two I'd choose the ultrasones. M50 has kinda recessed mids, and rock/metal benefits from some emphasis around the freq range of electric guitars.
post #22 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepu View Post

Out of those two I'd choose the ultrasones. M50 has kinda recessed mids, and rock/metal benefits from some emphasis around the freq range of electric guitars.

see i've heard that the 780's have bad treble ..and i hear that they are uncomortable on the ears too..

post #23 of 42
I do not like the ultrasones all that much either, but all I've listened so far have been the pro 550s. Different cans. Sure, the M50s are a very popular choice for entry-level audiophile cans, but I would not recommend them for rock/metal in particular.
post #24 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepu View Post

I do not like the ultrasones all that much either, but all I've listened so far have been the pro 550s. Different cans. Sure, the M50s are a very popular choice for entry-level audiophile cans, but I would not recommend them for rock/metal in particular.

feels like i can't win with either one of these...might have to look into something else ....tks for the opinion 

post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jervid View Post

i think i'm going to stick to decide between my first 2 choices either the ATH-M50 or the ultrasone hfi-780...decisions...decisions....

I have both. Tough call. I definitely like the 780s for more bass heavy music. And the 780s have a more engaging sound because of the soundstage produced by SLogic. But I would probably lean more towards the M50s for rock and metal only.
post #26 of 42
Thread Starter 

now another questions is if i choose either one of these what portable amp should i go with?? or do i need one in the first place ..plan to plug it into my iphone 4s...

post #27 of 42
Both of those headphones will work very well without an amp.
post #28 of 42
Thread Starter 

ok..i've ruled out the M50's as i hear too many mixed reviews about these ..i've now thrown in the mix the HD25-1 II...so i'm now wondering if the HD25-1 II are good for rock/ metal?? if if i spent the extra money for the HD25-1 II do i need an amp for those?? or do i stick with the ultrasone HiFi 780's w/o and amp??????

post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jervid View Post

ok..i've ruled out the M50's as i hear too many mixed reviews about these ..i've now thrown in the mix the HD25-1 II...so i'm now wondering if the HD25-1 II are good for rock/ metal?? if if i spent the extra money for the HD25-1 II do i need an amp for those?? or do i stick with the ultrasone HiFi 780's w/o and amp??????

 

I think Jude himself recommended the HD25-1 II for pop/rock when compared to DT1350 in a Head-Fi tv thing. It should work fine, and is pretty comfortable as far as portable on-ear things go too.

 

Both of those were were also something I tested while choosing my headphones, and both were a bit too similar in bassiness to the Focals I already had. Otherwise I would've probably picked up one or the other. Again, this is coming from a treblehead that doesn't mind tearing his ears out with bright, aggressive sound. tongue.gif The HD25-1 II could work fine for you.

post #30 of 42

most of the portable headphones are made with the intention of having it run well even without a amp. (although they may benefit from one) Senn HD/momentum, Beyer 1350 would definately be included in such senario

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › looking for portable closed headphones