Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Upgrading from AKG K240 DFs to K702
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrading from AKG K240 DFs to K702

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

Hi people,

 

I have a dilemma.  I bought a vintage pair of K240 DFs some months back.  Basically, I love the mid range and treble on these things, they are so flat, neutral and clear (despite missing the very top end, it sounds), but I cannot abide their lack of bottom end any more!  I bought a tube amp (Bravo Audio Ocean) in the hope of driving them better and warming them up, which worked to a certain degree, but I realise that they are never going to satisfy me with their lack of bass response.  My question is whether I would be able to retain that open and neutral mid and top end plus get the extra low end response I want by upgrading to one of the K702/Q701/65th Anniversary editions?  I do hear that those cans also lack low end punch?  I'm not a basshead by any means and that is reflected in my enjoyment of my HD598s, but I wouldn't want to invest in these next level AKGs and be disappointed again.

 

Can anyone with relevant knowledge chime in?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Matt

post #2 of 6

I'm going to guess (my two cents) that if you already have the Sennheiser HD-598, your only going to see a slight improvement in audio quality with the AKG K702/Q701, at most.

My Audio Technica ATH-A900X have more bass then my HD-558s and the ATH-A900X are selling (at Digbuy) for around $155, plus shipping and tax.

Maybe a better DAC would improve your over all sound quality?

post #3 of 6

Hi Matt, The K702 is a great step up...but keep in mind that you'll need a nice SS amp to get the best out of them. I dont know the Bravo Audio Ocean, but in my experience try to forget about K70X and tubes, you'll get a better results with a solid state amp.

post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I'm going to guess (my two cents) that if you already have the Sennheiser HD-598, your only going to see a slight improvement in audio quality with the AKG K702/Q701, at most.

My Audio Technica ATH-A900X have more bass then my HD-558s and the ATH-A900X are selling (at Digbuy) for around $155, plus shipping and tax.

Maybe a better DAC would improve your over all sound quality?

Thanks for your input, PurpleAngel.  My headphone listening consists of listening through my PC, either via my ASUS STX, my Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp or directly through my Arcam integrated amp (which is where I listen to my CDs and LPs).  I do have a Sansa Clip and my Galaxy S4 as portable devices, with a Fiio E11, if needed.  Basically, an add on DAC would only be relevant to my PC listening, so in place of my Asus STX.  What kind of money would I have to spend to see any noticeable improvement over this sound card, which I hear already has a nice DAC onboard?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix View Post

Hi Matt, The K702 is a great step up...but keep in mind that you'll need a nice SS amp to get the best out of them. I dont know the Bravo Audio Ocean, but in my experience try to forget about K70X and tubes, you'll get a better results with a solid state amp.

Hey Acix, thanks for your reply.  If I do invest in another amp, I would be thinking to buy one that fits all my present cans with room to upgrade my headphones in the future.  This purchase may be some time away yet, but provisionally I thought about the Lyr as I really like my little tube amp that I have presently and generally think I'm going to favour a more warm/tubey sound.  Maybe that needs a rethink then?  Of the top of your head, which SS amps are good with both high and low impedance cans that are not too pricey?

post #5 of 6

Amigomatt.

As you already have the Asus Xonar Essence STX, guess there is no need to get an external DAC, unless you are ready to spend several hundred dollars to make it worth it.

You could try swapping the three op-amps in the STX, I went with AD707BRs op-amps with my STX.

I'm assuming you connect the Bravo Audio Ocean to the STX's RCA or computer case's front panel jack.

Beyrdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm should have more bass then the HD-598s.

Or get the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, for full bass and full treble.

post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post

Hey Acix, thanks for your reply.  If I do invest in another amp, I would be thinking to buy one that fits all my present cans with room to upgrade my headphones in the future.  This purchase may be some time away yet, but provisionally I thought about the Lyr as I really like my little tube amp that I have presently and generally think I'm going to favour a more warm/tubey sound.  Maybe that needs a rethink then?  Of the top of your head, which SS amps are good with both high and low impedance cans that are not too pricey?

 

Try to get a used Violectric V-100. About DAC for your PC, you can get the RME DIGI 96/8 as used for around $100.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Upgrading from AKG K240 DFs to K702