New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why does all my IEMs die?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Hello everyone!

 

I'm grieving for the premature death of my beloved Vsonic GR07's.

 

Right now i'm overwhelmed by distress and sorrow and asking myself existential questions... :((

 

 

The same sort occourred 3 times to my old Sennheiser IE8, wich have been repaired while still in warranty the first two times.

 

So now, while ordering a new pair of GR07 BE, i'm asking myself, what am i doing wrong?

 

I've always took care of my iems, putting them in their pouch for transport, but the drives continue to die! The cables are perfect!

 

Have some of you experienced the same problem? What can be the cause?

post #2 of 20

lol. sorry to hear that. i just put my iems in my pocket, no case or anything and take them to the gym. play basketball with them do everything with them and nothing happens 

post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsohn View Post

lol. sorry to hear that. i just put my iems in my pocket, no case or anything and take them to the gym. play basketball with them do everything with them and nothing happens 

i do this too and it breaks =(.

post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpig View Post

Hello everyone!

 

I'm grieving for the premature death of my beloved Vsonic GR07's.

 

Right now i'm overwhelmed by distress and sorrow and asking myself existential questions... :((

 

 

The same sort occourred 3 times to my old Sennheiser IE8, wich have been repaired while still in warranty the first two times.

 

So now, while ordering a new pair of GR07 BE, i'm asking myself, what am i doing wrong?

 

I've always took care of my iems, putting them in their pouch for transport, but the drives continue to die! The cables are perfect!

 

Have some of you experienced the same problem? What can be the cause?


do u listen at an extraordinary loud volume?

post #5 of 20

Do you loose sound out of a driver all at once, or do they start to distort/crackle?

post #6 of 20

Make sure which part goes wrong with your earbuds first, then you will easily see what you are doing wrong.

 

In most cases, death is performed as the failure of cable, especially for the area near connector. Inappropriate direction of your connector will lead to close contact between your connnector and your pocket. Frequent pressure and friction will then cause the death.

 

For the dynamic driving unit, water vapor is fatal. 

post #7 of 20
[quote name="Akyama Mio" url="/t/668816/why-does-all-my-iems-
For the dynamic driving unit, water vapor is fatal. 
[/quote]

Wrong. Water vapor is very harmful for balanced armatures, as is the shock from dropping them. Dynamic drivers are more resistant to both. Several ciem manufacturers I've spoken to have confirmed this. One rep for a company that has both dynamic and armature based iems told me the dynamics are much, much more resistant to water.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

[quote name="Akyama Mio" url="/t/668816/why-does-all-my-iems-
For the dynamic driving unit, water vapor is fatal. 
[/quote]

Wrong. Water vapor is very harmful for balanced armatures, as is the shock from dropping them. Dynamic drivers are more resistant to both. Several ciem manufacturers I've spoken to have confirmed this. One rep for a company that has both dynamic and armature based iems told me the dynamics are much, much more resistant to water.



Yeah, I have pretty much drowned my IE8's in beer, and they still worked without any problems. Futhermore, I think beer is quite a bit more dangerous to headphones than water, considering
all the possible residue that is left behind after the liquid has dried out.

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCS View Post



Yeah, I have pretty much drowned my IE8's in beer, and they still worked without any problems. Futhermore, I think beer is quite a bit more dangerous to headphones than water, considering

all the possible residue that is left behind after the liquid has dried out.

I didn't want to say it, but "You could drop them in a glass of water, dry them out and they'd still work" is how an audio engineer described the dynamic drivers he uses. The acoustic filters and balanced armatures are another story entirely!
post #10 of 20

I had the TF10s. The cable went out on me probably about 4 times. 

post #11 of 20

OP, how did they break?

 

I usually have the wires go bad.

 

My favorite pair were some altec lansing headphones they no longer make. They lasted about 8 months and sounded great. However, most of my headphones die within 3 months.

post #12 of 20
My IEMs have all been through the washing machine their fair share.
post #13 of 20

Its funny though, you would think for $400 they would last longer than the cheapy headphones.

post #14 of 20

I'm not sure that OPs version of taking care of iems is the same as mine for example... I don't even use the cases, just carry them around in pockets and nothing has happened to any of my iems

(except for meelec m21. their cord got so stiff, that they have more memory than my old Chinese mp3 player )

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnguyen1983 View Post

Its funny though, you would think for $400 they would last longer than the cheapy headphones.

Who wouldn't?

 

For the increased price, one would expect better Quality Control.

As well as more testing and usage of better materials.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home