Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Universal IEM remolded OR Custom IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Universal IEM remolded OR Custom IEM - Page 2

post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

OK. There are few decent options. But you are probably limited to 2 or 3 driver ciems.(Not that I have anything against having few drivers) Look at some smaller companies, like cosmic ear, stage 94... Most big companies like UE, JH, UM doesn't really have good options for cheaper ciems.
Thanks, I am looking into those smaller companies and will either end up with a cheap under $400 triple armature CIEM or maybe dual with enhanced bass.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagellanR14 View Post


Thanks, I am looking into those smaller companies and will either end up with a cheap under $400 triple armature CIEM or maybe dual with enhanced bass.

Oh, forgot to mention this. Do not get deceived by number of drivers. A triple driver iem(like UE and Fitear ciems) can sound better than iems with 6 drivers.

post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

Oh, forgot to mention this. Do not get deceived by number of drivers. A triple driver iem(like UE and Fitear ciems) can sound better than iems with 6 drivers.
I understand that, but thanks for reinforcing it haha..helps to save money.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagellanR14 View Post


I understand that, but thanks for reinforcing it haha..helps to save money.

OK. Just making sure. But stay away from single drivers. They are limited in their extension ability.

post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

OK. There are few decent options. But you are probably limited to 2 or 3 driver ciems.(Not that I have anything against having few drivers) Look at some smaller companies, like cosmic ear, stage 94... Most big companies like UE, JH, UM doesn't really have good options for cheaper ciems.

 

Okay, so you think a custom tip would offer the isolation and seal as a "regular" CIEM? In that case, should I go for something along the lines of a Westone UM3 with the custom tip or a Cosmic Ear BA3 (triple armature)(or another cheap triple driver CIEM)? I want good isolation and seal so I can be active and the monitors will stay in my ear while blocking out outside misc. noise.

 

Thanks, this is the moment of faith haha 


Edited by MagellanR14 - 6/20/13 at 11:39pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagellanR14 View Post

Okay, so you think a custom tip would offer the isolation and seal as a "regular" CIEM? In that case, should I go for something along the lines of a Westone UM3 with the custom tip or a Cosmic Ear BA3 (triple armature)(or another cheap triple driver CIEM)? I want good isolation and seal so I can be active and the monitors will stay in my ear while blocking out outside misc. noise.

Thanks, this is the moment of faith haha 
They are supposed to, according to measurement datas. Also, it's much easier to clean the custom tips than a ciem.
post #22 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post


They are supposed to, according to measurement datas. Also, it's much easier to clean the custom tips than a ciem.

So then what is the point of remolding a universal if you can get a custom tip for less...? It sounds like you recommend the tip route, in that case is their a specific company that is known for making good tips? I am looking at the Westone UM56 Custom Adaptor, Sensaphonics Sleeve, Perfect-Fit Ear Molds, 1964 Sleeve, Alien Ears Friction Mold Sleeve, Aurisonics ASG-1 Custom Tips, and the Future Sonics SofterWear Sleeve. Do you have any idea which ones I should consider OR should not to help narrow down the decision? Wait, is there a difference between custom tips and custom sleeves?

 

thanks

 


Edited by MagellanR14 - 6/21/13 at 8:27am
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagellanR14 View Post

So then what is the point of remolding a universal if you can get a custom tip for less...? It sounds like you recommend the tip route, I am going to pursue that option then.

Well, not all universals supports/goes well with custom tips. Now that you mentioned it, I wonder why so many people reshell their iems. However, on certain iems, reshelling will provide better sound and fit(especially ones with big housing).

post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

Well, not all universals supports/goes well with custom tips. Now that you mentioned it, I wonder why so many people reshell their iems. However, on certain iems, reshelling will provide better sound and fit(especially ones with big housing).

So is it a gamble/trial and error?

If we took Sony's XBA4 (quad armature), which I am getting for a sweet $125, would I be better off remolding it completely or doing custom tips?

 

thanks,


Edited by MagellanR14 - 6/21/13 at 1:37pm
post #25 of 28
Thread Starter 

?

post #26 of 28

I really don't know how it'd go. In fact, no one will know(unless someone has done that before) until they've tried reshelling them. Sorry I couldn't help more. It is a gamble.

post #27 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

I really don't know how it'd go. In fact, no one will know(unless someone has done that before) until they've tried reshelling them. Sorry I couldn't help more. It is a gamble.

I will be brave and try a reshell via InEarz

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagellanR14 View Post

I will be brave and try a reshell via InEarz

Alright. Good luck mate.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Universal IEM remolded OR Custom IEM