Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Portable Mini-to-Mini Cables Quick Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portable Mini-to-Mini Cables Quick Impressions - Page 3

post #31 of 120

Thanks tomscy that certainly was new information to me. I was just watching some short video about cable development, I did not know that even for simple trial and error test purpose the company had to order over 1000 feet worth of cable even if they simply want to experiment their new style. Seems very strange but that is seem to be what the interenet is saying about development of cable. 

 

It seems very odd.

post #32 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post  Thanks tomscy that certainly was new information to me. I was just watching some short video about cable development, I did not know that even for simple trial and error test purpose the company had to order over 1000 feet worth of cable even if they simply want to experiment their new style. Seems very strange but that is seem to be what the interenet is saying about development of cable. It seems very odd.


Oh no, that's not what I mean. For experimentation, builders can certainly get sample prototypes. Once they commit, however, the MOQ is pretty big, since the OEM needs to recalibrate and sometimes retool to get the right OD, bunch pattern, etc. so the OEM needs some kind of guarantee that what they're building won't go to waste. Some companies are willing to sell leftover surplus from custom orders that were terminated early, etc. but that's on the fringe of ethical propriety.

post #33 of 120
Thread Starter 
Can someone please clarify to me about the 6N, 7N, etc classifications? I've googled on the web and kinda know what it means but what puzzled me was VentureCraft telling me that their mini-to-mini and their 30-pin digital LODs are (were, back when they made them) the only properly certified 7N. I wasn't too sure what they meant.

[Speculation]
Other 7N classified aren't proper 7N cables?
[/Speculation]
post #34 of 120
.

Edited by seeteeyou - 11/4/14 at 11:17pm
post #35 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeteeyou View Post

From my limited understanding, N should stand for the number 9 and that's meant to indicate the purity of copper / silver etc.
 
5N, 6N, 7N, 8N
 
99.999%, 99.9999%, 99.99999%, 99.999999%

In other words, 5N = five 9s and the same deal for the rest of them.

Personally I would rather trust 8N (or more) products from major ones such as Acoustic Revive / Acrolink / Esoteric these days IMHO.
Yep. Got that already from here (http://www.atlascables.com/conductor-purity.html) too. Is there some governing body that officially certifies this? The comment from VentureCraft was perplexing me.
post #36 of 120

Could it be that they buy from a company who have it officially certified by someone? (whomever that someone is?)

post #37 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Could it be that they buy from a company who have it officially certified by someone? (whomever that someone is?)
Could well be.

I'll ping them again to ask them to clarify but I'm usually cautious about f*b from f*ct. Which is one of the reasons I asked here hoping someone more independent with knowledge may be able to expand.
post #38 of 120

.


Edited by seeteeyou - 11/4/14 at 11:17pm
post #39 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post  Can someone please clarify to me about the 6N, 7N, etc classifications? I've googled on the web and kinda know what it means but what puzzled me was VentureCraft telling me that their mini-to-mini and their 30-pin digital LODs are (were, back when they made them) the only properly certified 7N. I wasn't too sure what they meant.

[Speculation]
Other 7N classified aren't proper 7N cables?
[/Speculation]

 

Using modern equipment, the precision of a metallurgical assay machine only goes up to 99.99998%, so companies can really only say that it's "more pure than 6N", and have labeled that as "7N". Perhaps there are machines that have actual 7N precision now, and that VentureCraft has gotten their cables tested on those machines. I don't have experience with precious metals, so I can't presume to know which machines have that kind of capability.

 

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like seeteeyou found more relevant information.


Edited by tomscy2000 - 6/23/13 at 10:25pm
post #40 of 120

It's all crazy. wink_face.gif

 

My usual mini-to-mini is a DIY Mundorf/Neutrik and I have an Audioquest mini-to-RCA which I've found fine too. I have the Tralucent cables here along with the 1plus2 and I figured I'd see if I feel there was any benefit to changing from what I use once I get the JH13s. Switching IEM cables made a significant difference though. Ergonomics be damned and all that. smile.gif

post #41 of 120

I've ordered the ADL mini-mini cable which is cryogenically frozen (whatever that means). So far my finding of all the copper based IEM ranging from some fancy DIY to oyadie 3.5 to some cheap 5 dollar one is sound wise they all the same however the cheaper one suffer from poor shielding and in rooms where there are lots of cable going around they will hum (the ortofon cable) where as the oyadie one is silent as it gets.

 

If I ever upgrade my IEM cable it will be for ergonomic reasons I do not see myself buying things which I have to be more careful as my own body part. 

post #42 of 120

.


Edited by seeteeyou - 11/4/14 at 11:17pm
post #43 of 120

Those large silver tabs seem very large.

post #44 of 120
.
Edited by seeteeyou - 11/4/14 at 11:17pm
post #45 of 120
That's just insanity.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Portable Mini-to-Mini Cables Quick Impressions