Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Portable Mini-to-Mini Cables Quick Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portable Mini-to-Mini Cables Quick Impressions - Page 2

post #16 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Are you planning to add more mini-mini products in the near future?
Hmmm...as they come in, sure. Although I don't actively go out seeking for mini-2-mini's to review.

If a maker asks me to review I will as long as they accept that I say as I hear it.
post #17 of 86

Hey Anak, in terms of strain relief did you get a say about right angle or straight plug? Am trying to think in my head what would have better durability

post #18 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeteeyou View Post

Do you guys have any ideas about ordering a meter of Dreamline bulk wire?

 

http://www.avx.hu/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=184758

 

http://www.kohutaudio.sk/produkty/prislusenstvo/crystal-cable/uploader/Crystal%20cenn%C3%ADk%207_2011.pdf

 

I'll split that up to make a handful of very short cables by asking Toxic Cables (authorized dealer) to help us out.

 

you could ask a Crystal Cable's authorized dealer if they can order you a couple of meters of the cable without terminations, but I doubt is possible (but there's no harm in asking). another option is to order a pair of interconnects (one meter cost over $7k), then have an authorized dealer is possession of the special machine for cutting it to cut/terminate the cable for you, if they agree to do it.

 

I think the best option would be to order a pair of one meter interconnects Diamond ($495), then ask someone like Toxic cables if he would cut/terminate it for you, as long the machine can be used on other cables other than the Piccolino.

 

that'd be awesome.

post #19 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

Hey Anak, in terms of strain relief did you get a say about right angle or straight plug? Am trying to think in my head what would have better durability

 

Hmmm...if -nothing- rests on the cables or connectors, then either are fine. However with straight connectors the possibility of unintended strain or pressure is higher. I have a personal preference of L-shaped connectors to further reduce the profile.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenni View Post

 

you could ask a Crystal Cable's authorized dealer if they can order you a couple of meters of the cable without terminations, but I doubt is possible (but there's no harm in asking). another option is to order a pair of interconnects (one meter cost over $7k), then have an authorized dealer is possession of the special machine for cutting it to cut/terminate the cable for you, if they agree to do it.

 

I think the best option would be to order a pair of one meter interconnects Diamond ($495), then ask someone like Toxic cables if he would cut/terminate it for you, as long the machine can be used on other cables other than the Piccolino.

 

that'd be awesome.

 

I would like try Crystal Cables sometime but more for IEMs rather than short IC's.

 

On a side note, Custom Art will be sending me ICs to add to this review.

post #20 of 86

Nice of them, they come across as a very responsive company.

post #21 of 86

Has anyone tried this cable before?

Link

post #22 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Has anyone tried this cable before?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Link

 

FYI - that eBay store is selling Nordost ODIN-wannabe cables but you could actually see how much the real deal is:

 

http://www.audiofederation.com/dealership/prices/nordost/

 

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20interconnect.htm

 

Pretty much the same case as those cheap "Siltech" cables and we could tell what they really are:

 

http://www.siltechcables.com/news-detail.php?id=42

 

And then I was totally laughing my butts off when I checked their site:

 

http://audiothinker.com

 

Quote:
REDEFINING

ATATE OF THE ART

Introducing the Rudeze LCD3
 
OTSUpEpl.jpg
 

 


 

Whenever we see someone claiming one of those magic numbers with ultra purity like 7N or even 8N, that better comes with the burden of proof such as certification of OCC authorized by Atsumi Ohno

 

http://www.audiosensibility.com/faq/FAQ_OCC_Technology.htm

 

http://headphonelounge.com/2011/09/10/why-go-for-silver-cables/

 

IMHO relatively trustworthy ones are Acoustic Revive / Acrotec / Acrolink / Esoteric / Furutech / Neotech and those brands should be associated with manufacturers like Furukawa or Mitsubishi.

 


 

8N (99.999999% purity) and sterling silver are actually oxymoron to begin with, ROFLMAO

 

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5818978_differences-silver-925-sterling-silver.html

 

Quote:
Sterling silver must be 92.5 percent pure (or 925) to be classified as sterling silver.

 

That hilarious irony totally reminded me this awesome video I was watching last night

 

 


 

BTW, these guys here might have some potential for their prices

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPod-Mini-Mini-Solid-Core-Mundorf-Gold-Interconnect-/250826536989

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPod-Mini-Mini-Jena-Ultra-Wire-Interconnect-/250830680459

post #23 of 86

Thanks for that information. I have been reading alot about cable and the more I read the less I like to spend on those cables. When I buy an IEM I know where my money goes and most of the time I know what I am buying however the cable world is totally different. 

 

For example I was just checking a certain well respect brand mini-mini maker. Upon doing a little research I found that the cable the used is 9 euro per meter and their 3.5 mm jack is 15 dollar (total of 30 USD). 

post #24 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Thanks for that information. I have been reading alot about cable and the more I read the less I like to spend on those cables. When I buy an IEM I know where my money goes and most of the time I know what I am buying however the cable world is totally different. 

 

For example I was just checking a certain well respect brand mini-mini maker. Upon doing a little research I found that the cable the used is 9 euro per meter and their 3.5 mm jack is 15 dollar (total of 30 USD). 

 

To be fair, you could apply that to a lot of other manufacturing processes. It really isn't any different wink.gif

 

They "need" the profit margin to continue, survive, and be well paid, not to mention, look into more R&D along the way. 

post #25 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenz View Post

 

To be fair, you could apply that to a lot of other manufacturing processes. It really isn't any different wink.gif

 

They "need" the profit margin to continue, survive, and be well paid, not to mention, look into more R&D along the way. 

I agree  and yes one can argue they charge craftman ship and we should value it however the margin for cable is considerably higher than IEM simply because R&D is something the cable manufacture company carry not the LOD maker. 

I guess the cheapest way is DIY.

 

I have also been reading a lot of positive review about blue jeans cable they seem to charge decent prices. 


Edited by audionewbi - 6/22/13 at 9:53pm
post #26 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

For now I'm in the process of procuring the Mezzo Soprano L-shaped IC. It's the closest I can get to the Uber without fear of breakage from flexing the cable.

According to Mezzo Soprano, their cables here are silver Vaird-based but they re-sheath the actual wires.

Edit: I was also given the Tralucent Uber pricing of $325 (on special? Regular price?). I'll update my 1st post later tonight.

 

Just found another > $300 (NT$9,500) IC from Taiwan, 7N copper + 5N silver

 

http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/e49472311

 

Terminated with this copper/silver/gold/rhodium-plated ATL PH-3506RH mini plug for NT$1,980 a piece

 

http://www.atl-newcablestudio.com/PH-3506RH03.html

 

http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=116103

 

901_20.jpg

 

901_21.jpg

post #27 of 86

That plug is so obscenely overpriced. A lot of people are using it here, though. The Rhodium plating is indeed more robust than both those from Oyaide and Furutech, though. Personally, the hybrid gold/rhodium plug, which is a little cheaper, intrigues me more.

post #28 of 86

Yeah, definitely high ticket items when those plugs were most likely made in relatively small batches.

 


 

I was reading quite a bit about this HD800 cable lately

 

http://bbs.headphoneclub.com/thread-225241-3-1.html


http://www.hifi.com.tw/adm_static/reviews/Duchess_crown.pdf

 

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=luric&logNo=110152509081

 

I've been contemplating about getting Siltech Duchess Crown from Korea for 970,000 Won (roughly $840) and then asking someone skillful to split that into a few short cables. Not a bad deal for such 2-meter cable while that probably costs much more to purchase one here in Hong Kong.

 

Now the question is really who could handle that critical job properly. I could simply let that shop in Taipei selling ATL plugs covering everything. Or paying more to ask the legendary richard2633 (of MyAV) to get that done for me? He might laugh at someone who wanna use Siltech for something terminated with mini plugs, though.

 

That TRS plug looked wicked cool, really nice to have something good-looking for connecting Bialbero Epsilon S and PAD EVOLUZIONE from WAGNUS.

 

sB5g33Y.jpg

post #29 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post

Congrats for your Wagnus Epsilon S
Look like you and me have this wonderful amp Wagnus Epsilon S
I don't have Tera Player , I have heard my friend Tera
I would like to recommend you , please try UBER cable mini to mini .

 

I just saw a picture your Wireworld cable on that Portable Rig thread, now I wanna find out if your friends were familiar with their flagship Platinum Eclipse 7 or not. It would be really interesting to compare UBER with that one

 

VJp6PMW.jpg

 

AOpLQdq.jpg

 

Another flagship mini-to-mini for comparison is obviously Audioquest Angel

 

9RoyKn1.jpg

 

PVUcvBE.jpg

 

QLWTlnG.jpg

post #30 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post  I agree  and yes one can argue they charge craftman ship and we should value it however the margin for cable is considerably higher than IEM simply because R&D is something the cable manufacture company carry not the LOD maker. I guess the cheapest way is DIY. I have also been reading a lot of positive review about blue genes cable they seem to charge decent prices. 


I'd say there are two different philosophies about cables in the world. One is performance-oriented, which is what most American and European companies are about. They claim, with "scientific proof", that their cables transmit information better and faster, yadda yadda yadda. Then, there's the Asian outlook toward cables; prices are dictated by whatever qualitatively sounds good. People switch cabling and stuff simply because they like to experiment with different sounds, and don't really care about what theoretically raw performance is. These are generalizations, of course, and most companies are mixtures of both, but you get the point.

 

The cheapest way is indeed to DIY. However, if you're like me, I know how to solder a thing or two, but prefer not to breathe too much Quad Eutectic down my respiratory tract, or accidentally overheat PVC sleeving and give myself an angiosarcoma of the liver.

 

Raw material is also more expensive than people think. Quality OCC cabling from a certified manufacturer like Wanlung Electric (aka Neotech), for example a pure 6N+ (marketed as 7N) silver OCC 40-strand cable in LLD-PE would cost several dollars per foot. Custom OD thicknesses, custom strand counts, etc. all factor into added costs and increased MOQ. Cable builders have to plunk down 1000+ feet of that at a time for ready-made products, while custom spools usually require at least 5000 feet. The cable business is such a niche business that volume isn't as high as people think, so one spool of cable will last a while. That's why so many builders sell DIY cabling, in order to allow themselves to get rid of 'overstock' so they can move onto newer cable products.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Portable Mini-to-Mini Cables Quick Impressions