or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review - Page 10

post #136 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightanswer@ear View Post
 

The headphone is called "Aluminium" isn't it? Why call it "Aluminum" when that isn't the name?

Leaving out the "I" for no-good reason, one might as well call Sennheiser "Sennheser" or Anniversary Edition "Annversary".

Not to mention Pottasum and Magnesum or Uranum or Sodum.

In any case, the material was invented by Sir Humphry Davy, so the name he settled for should be the one in use. No point naming something if people call it what they like. Henceforth, let posters here refer to "Aluminium" for this headphone please! 


The issue isn't that people are leaving off the letter i wantonly.  It's that aluminium is spelled aluminum in the United States.  Note that North American product pages usually leave out the i as well.

 

Here's a fun little experiment for you:

 

1. If you have access to a copy of Microsoft Word, change the spelling dictionary from British to U.S. English.  If you don't have access, then visit to the site of a U.S. dictionary, such as Merriam-Webster Online.  

 

2. Type the word aluminium in a Word doc or, on M-WO, type it into the search field and hit Return.

 

3. If you're using Word, notice that aluminium is flagged as a misspelling.  If you're looking up aluminium in Merriam-Webster, note that it's defined as a "British variant of aluminum."

 

You can insist on the British spelling all you like, but that's the equivalent of yelling at Americans for using color instead of colour.  Not the most tolerant approach to an entire nation of people who've been taught to spell the word differently from childhood, is it?

 

By that logic, the entire German language is incorrect as opposed to merely being different from British English.  Good luck telling that to Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel.


Edited by scrypt - 1/8/14 at 9:00pm
post #137 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrypt View Post
 


The issue isn't that people are leaving off the letter i wantonly.  It's that aluminium is spelled aluminum in the United States.  Note that North American product pages usually leave out the i as well.

 

Here's a fun little experiment for you:

 

1. If you have access to a copy of Microsoft Word, change the spelling dictionary from British to U.S. English.  If you don't have access, then visit to the site of a U.S. dictionary, such as Merriam-Webster Online.  

 

2. Type the word aluminium in a Word doc or, on M-WO, type it into the search field and hit Return.

 

3. If you're using Word, notice that aluminium is flagged as a misspelling.  If you're looking up aluminium in Merriam-Webster, note that it's defined as a "British variant of aluminum."

 

You can insist on the British spelling all you like, but that's the equivalent of yelling at Americans for using color instead of colour.  Not the most tolerant approach to an entire nation of people who've been taught to spell the word differently from childhood, is it?

 

By that logic, the entire German language is incorrect as opposed to merely being different from British English.  Good luck telling that to Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel.

 

I think you missed his point. He was saying that except the US and Canada, every country in the world calls it the way the person named it. It's not just using lift vs elevator or orientated vs oriented or color vs. colour. It's a name someone has given it. But does it matter? I agree with you that both ways are standard somewhere, so call it whatever you learned to call it. We all know what is meant ;-) Even though I like the sound of aluminium more, personally. 

 

And in the end it all came from german in any case. Quoting wikipedia:

English is a West Germanic language that originated from the Anglo-Frisian dialects, brought to Britain by Germanic invaders and/or settlers from the places which are now called North West Germany and the Netherlands.

 

:-)

 

I am now back to listen to my Amperior, cheers,

K

post #138 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
 

 

I think you missed his point. He was saying that except the US and Canada, every country in the world calls it the way the person named it.

 

I think you're reading odd messages into wrightanswer@ear's post that were never actually stated by her/him or anyone else.  This might have something to do with the radio frequencies which metal fillings tend to pick up.  My advice to you is to try porcelain.

 

He said absolutely nothing about the U.S. and Canada (though, in case you're wondering, the latter country does use British spelling).  I'm the person who mentioned the U.S.

 

Quote:

It's not just using lift vs elevator or orientated vs oriented or color vs. colour. It's a name someone has given it. But does it matter? I agree with you that both ways are standard somewhere, so call it whatever you learned to call it. We all know what is meant ;-) Even though I like the sound of aluminium more, personally.

 

In fact it's exactly a question of using colour vs. color and has nothing to do with the inventor of aluminium.  Football is called soccer in the States regardless of who invented the sport (hint: it's wasn't a North American). The same is true of the 25th Anniversary Aluminium headphones. 

 

My post actually contained a link to an American site on which the name of the headphones in ques is conformed to U.S. spelling. This tends to be true on most U.S. sites.  A bit of cursory googling on your part would reveal as much.

 

It isn't a matter of my "calling it whatever I learned to call it."  It's a matter of my learned collagen's not being a rectal hook by insisting that North Americans use British spelling and pronunciation.

 

I'm an editor by trade; I could spell the word either way depending on my readership.  My point is that North Americans shouldn't be scolded for spelling the word in precisely the way they learned it.  In North America, aluminium is interpreted by spell check (and, sadly, by any number of readers) as a mistake.

 

Quote:
And in the end it all came from german in any case. Quoting wikipedia:

English is a West Germanic language that originated from the Anglo-Frisian dialects, brought to Britain by Germanic invaders and/or settlers from the places which are now called North West Germany and the Netherlands.

 

The fact that

 

(1) you've resorted to Wikipedia, the haven of the superficially informed,

(2) you're quoting irrelevant facts as if they constituted a refutation and

(3) you seem to be under the impression that the obvious is news

 

suggests that you haven't got a passing acquaintance with the history of English.  Your very obvious point -- that English is the combined linguistic repository of whichever horde happened to brutalize the realm that week and is perfected in writing not by conforming to the perfect syntactical grid of Romance languages but rather by logical thought, logical usage and harmonious word associations -- is the premise and theme of The Reader over Your Shoulder, by Graves and Hodge, a book that I've recommended to other writers since the days when you were a gleam in your father's good eye.  So instead of being an indefatigable dink in the manner of your friend and assuming that anyone who spells aluminium as aluminum has failed to grasp the history of English or the importance of correct spelling, perhaps you can devote a few hours of study to The Reader over Your Shoulder and learn to construct a reply worthy of being taken seriously by a hyperopic vole.

 

Enjoy your Amperiors!


Edited by scrypt - 1/9/14 at 3:44am
post #139 of 354

Thanks, scrypt, am indeed enjoying my Amperiors a lot.

 

Thanks as well for your elaborate response. I indeed learned a lot. However it seems to me that I hurt your feelings somehow with my response? If so, I apologise. English is not my first language, Sir, in fact it's my 3rd. You seem to be a Master of the English language and all my knowledge of the history or the language comes from reading Bill Bryson's Made in America more than 10 years ago. 

 

I probably haven't expressed myself adequately, I neither wanted to discount AE or BE nor insult anyone. And I did not discount people who spell Aluminium as Aluminum. If you replace "how you learned it" in my reply with "how it's standard in your language" that might be more precise.

 

As a German company Sennheiser might just want to call its headphone "HD 25 Aluminium" because that's the name they gave it. They might even name it "HD25 Fussball Edition" and neither use Soccer or Football even for the North American market, that doesn't make it wrong, because it's what THEY call their product. 

 

That's allI was trying to say. I don't have your command of the English language but I think you made this a bit too personal. You insulted my teeth (and their fillings) and told me my response is not worth being read by a mouse. I in turn didn't scold anyone to use a different spelling. The opposite. I encouraged you to use what you learned. Especially in a forum that is frequented by many different nationalities that might find the one or the other spelling odd.

 

Anyhow, thanks for your time writing your response and I hope you put your editing and language skills to good, friendly and peaceful use. Many thanks for your book recommendation.

 

Enjoy your music!

post #140 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrypt View Post
 

Football is called soccer in the States regardless of who invented the sport (hint: it's wasn't a North American). The same is true of the 25th Anniversary Aluminium headphones. 

 

 

"Soccer" is an English word for football. It's the English nickname for the sport used since the early 1900s and a contraction of "Association Football".

Many UK magazines have used "Soccer" in their titles throughout the history of the sport (for example "Soccer Star" (launched in 1952) and "World Soccer" (1960). In 1968 the famous "Goal" magazine launched as "The World’s Greatest Soccer Weekly".

 

That Americans have used a nickname as the official name of a sport is as crass as their use of "ping-pong" instead of table tennis. It's only since the Americans stole this affectionate nickname for the sport and misused it, that the use of the word "soccer" in England has fallen into disrepute.

 

As for "aluminum" versus "aluminium", the only reason Americans changed it is because it's harder to say "aluminium" with their accents. It's almost a tongue twister. So instead of taking elocution lessons, they change the word instead.


Edited by wrightanswer@ear - 1/21/14 at 12:28am
post #141 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightanswer@ear View Post

 

"Soccer" is an English word for football. It's the English nickname for the sport used since the early 1900s and a contraction of "Association Football".

Many UK magazines have used "Soccer" in their titles throughout the history of the sport (for example "Soccer Star" (launched in 1952) and "World Soccer" (1960). In 1968 the famous "Goal" magazine launched as "The World’s Greatest Soccer Weekly".

 

That Americans have used a nickname as the official name of a sport is as crass as their use of "ping-pong" instead of table tennis. It's only since the Americans stole this affectionate nickname for the sport and misused it, that the use of the word "soccer" in England has fallen into disrepute.

 

As for "aluminum" versus "aluminium", the only reason Americans changed it is because it's harder to say "aluminium" with their accents. It's almost a tongue twister. So instead of taking elocution lessons, they change the word instead.

 

Fortunately, the meanings and pronunciation of both "pompous" and "irrelevant" remain generally agreed-upon on both sides of the pond. 

 

Anybody else with HD25 listening notes they'd like to share? 

post #142 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat37 View Post
 

Imo the original HD25 still kick the asses of the Amperior and Alu. Both Amp and Alu are too heavy if you're really used to the HD25. + the sound signatature of HD25 is better defined as the Amperior. Amperior is more boomy while the HD25 has definition. This is very noticeable in techno and house music.

 

You can modifiy things from your HD25 to make it better: better cable, velours earpads, remove foam and acoustic foam at the back of the drivers in the cups.........

 

I have had the HD25-II and now the Amperior and HD25-ALU. Given the right amp/synergy, I would rank them in this order:

 

HD25-ALU > Amperior > HD25-II

 

I don't find the ALU heavy at all. In fact, I find it very comfortable. As far as comfort goes, it would be:

 

Amperior > HD25-ALU > HD25-II (I have not swapped the velour pad on the Amperior with the leather pad on the HD25-ALU to see if the comfort level will be reversed).

 

A thing to note is that to change cable on Amperior and HD25-ALU, a separate clamp set is required.

post #143 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post
 

 

I have had the HD25-II and now the Amperior and HD25-ALU. Given the right amp/synergy, I would rank them in this order:

 

HD25-ALU > Amperior > HD25-II

 

I don't find the ALU heavy at all. In fact, I find it very comfortable. As far as comfort goes, it would be:

 

Amperior > HD25-ALU > HD25-II (I have not swapped the velour pad on the Amperior with the leather pad on the HD25-ALU to see if the comfort level will be reversed).

 

A thing to note is that to change cable on Amperior and HD25-ALU, a separate clamp set is required.


That's interesting. Well let's just say the HD25 are as light as a feather and the Amperior actually weigh something. I mean it's noticeable if you move your head there is extra weight being swung on your head. I actually made my HD25 as comfortable (even more comfortable because it'ss less weighty) as the Amperior: I've got the velours headband and earpads of the Amperior on my HD25. Imo that's a major major upgrade the velours headband and earpads found on the Amperior.

post #144 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat37 View Post
 


That's interesting. Well let's just say the HD25 are as light as a feather and the Amperior actually weigh something. I mean it's noticeable if you move your head there is extra weight being swung on your head. I actually made my HD25 as comfortable (even more comfortable because it'ss less weighty) as the Amperior: I've got the velours headband and earpads of the Amperior on my HD25. Imo that's a major major upgrade the velours headband and earpads found on the Amperior.

 

Yeah that is something I did not try - the changing of velour headband and pads.

 

I am ordering the Stefanart E-Series cable for the Amperior and HD25-ALU to see how things will change.

 

Did you get the velour headbad and pads from custom cans?

post #145 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post
 

 

Yeah that is something I did not try - the changing of velour headband and pads.

 

I am ordering the Stefanart E-Series cable for the Amperior and HD25-ALU to see how things will change.

 

Did you get the velour headbad and pads from custom cans?


Indeed from Custom Cans. Did you try the HD600 cable yet?

post #146 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat37 View Post
 


Indeed from Custom Cans. Did you try the HD600 cable yet?

 

I see.

 

I don't have any HD600 around to try its cable. I am using the HD25-ALU for portable so the length and the design of the cable is important. I think so far only a few cable companies offer the stock style design as opposed to the Y-cord.

post #147 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat37 View Post


That's interesting. Well let's just say the HD25 are as light as a feather and the Amperior actually weigh something. I mean it's noticeable if you move your head there is extra weight being swung on your head. I actually made my HD25 as comfortable (even more comfortable because it'ss less weighty) as the Amperior: I've got the velours headband and earpads of the Amperior on my HD25. Imo that's a major major upgrade the velours headband and earpads found on the Amperior.

Guys i have a pair of hd25s and momntums over ear.... I am now thinking of getting a amperior to make a trio and mostly because i think ot would be even better than regular hd25 when connected to my ipod touch but most important at all because i am hoping that the velour pads will increase the confort a bit since on the 25s after half an hour its like there are no pads amd my ears are glued to the drivers....
I will still keep the 25s though since imo they are not worst than the momentums in sq, just different tunings. Its amazing to listen a 25 driver almost matching the sq and clarity of a great nowaday driver like the one on the momentums....

Anyway, what o wanted to ask is this.... Since the 25s and the amperiors share different pads, whats the difference in sound quality, isolation and confort? Also wich is cleaner and wich is bassier?

Cheers...
post #148 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post


Guys i have a pair of hd25s and momntums over ear.... I am now thinking of getting a amperior to make a trio and mostly because i think ot would be even better than regular hd25 when connected to my ipod touch but most important at all because i am hoping that the velour pads will increase the confort a bit since on the 25s after half an hour its like there are no pads amd my ears are glued to the drivers....
I will still keep the 25s though since imo they are not worst than the momentums in sq, just different tunings. Its amazing to listen a 25 driver almost matching the sq and clarity of a great nowaday driver like the one on the momentums....

Anyway, what o wanted to ask is this.... Since the 25s and the amperiors share different pads, whats the difference in sound quality, isolation and confort? Also wich is cleaner and wich is bassier?

Cheers...


So my findings with earpads: Earpads make a huge huge difference. The one that gives the most isolation and bass = pleather (what you have). Negatives: It get's hot, sweaty and 2 hours with them = braincrush + the pleather can be too isolating resulting in changes like what yo uexperience in the airplane

 

Next up is the Amperior pad: It has less bass than the pleather but is the most comfortable of velours pads. It's soft heavenly etc.

 

The HD25 velours seems like a badly made rip-off compared to the Amperior velours. Also they offer less bass (or more mid/high wathever you like to see it).

 

Then finally there is the Zomo aftermarket velours: never buy this. It's horrible horrible. It makes you itch after 30 minutes. It gives absolutely no bass whatsoever.

 

On my HD25 I got the Amperior velour. So it has the bass quantity between the pleather and HD25 velours. + Is super comfortable

On my Amperior(s) I got the HD25 velour (to compensate for their boomy bass)

 

For the HD25 I prefer the sound signature with the pleather, but my ears just can't handle the isolation it offers.

On the Amperior the pleather is way way way to boomy, the Amperior velours still a bit and the HD25 velours quite right

 

I have not tried the 'leather' pads on the HD25 Alu. My guess is that they are like the pleather so I will not be able to wear them without having earpain, so I won't buy them.

post #149 of 354

Yes I think you are talking about the stock copper cord right (for the HD25-13)? It's coiled so it's not really an option for on-the-go.

 

But the HD600 cord can be worn like the HD25 stock cord: it's fine enough to sit tightly in the headband. Ofcourse you'll have some extra 1.5 meter but you can use a cable tie for that :)

post #150 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat37 View Post
 

Yes I think you are talking about the stock copper cord right (for the HD25-13)? It's coiled so it's not really an option for on-the-go.

 

But the HD600 cord can be worn like the HD25 stock cord: it's fine enough to sit tightly in the headband. Ofcourse you'll have some extra 1.5 meter but you can use a cable tie for that :)

 

Coiled?

 

HD25-1 II, Amperior and HD25-ALU all sport a straight cable (although the one on ALU is a little too long).

 

There will be excesses of cable on the right earcup as the HD600 cable are of equal length on both side (Y-Style) as opposed to the HD25 stock style.

 

Plus, it is simply a mess to bring out the HD600 3M cable with 1/4" plug.

 

I have the Oyaide aftermarket cable for the HD25-1 II and it simply works fine - low profile, light, stock style and comes with a mobile phone friendly 3.5mm jack.

 

I eagerly await my Stefan Audio Art cable to arrive.


Edited by uelover - 1/27/14 at 3:04pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review