Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why do you people spend hundreds of dollars on headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do you people spend hundreds of dollars on headphones - Page 3

post #31 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFULMTL View Post

Try the JVC HA-S500 for $50.

 

/thread

 

Actually, I still ask why people would pay $700 for phone...

Or +$400 for a GPU to play a game...

Or expensive cars, that just get you from A to B...

Or more expensive organic food

Or 

Or

Or

Or

Or

Or

Or

 

Or why when people ask me why did I spend $800 on earphones, why did they spend $2000 on a camera lens along with $1000 for the camera (I'm not bagging on people who buy expensive cameras by the way. Just using it as a point of reference. I enjoy taking pics too :))

 

It's a hobby.

 

Using Beats as a reference point is a problem though. My HD202s sounded better. Hell my Monoprice 8320s competed with them.

post #32 of 134

I just let them listen to Amber Rubarth in binaural on my transportable rig, just as I would show them the pictures I take with my camera. Then they understand. wink_face.gif

post #33 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseWithWorms View Post

Well, i have never ever owned a smartphone and have always been fine with 30$ nokias (currently the nokia 1616 which is dreary as hell). The money that i saved up by not buying what today is considered as almost necessary, got spent on the akg k550.

Spending wisely is something completely subjective. If that's what this thread is all about, then it has no reason to be.

+1

Everything is indeed. Cars, phones, headphones, music...
Any sort of outcome you spend money on
Good thread though.
post #34 of 134
Why? Because I was taught you get what you pay for. Quality comes at a price. I used to buy $20 earphones and would have to replace them every couple of months. Unfortunately for me, not only did build quality get better but also sound quality. Which led to a never ending search for my perfect pair of headphones.

Actually audio seems tame for me because I know if I ever have the capital for it, I'll be buying probably a 100k sports car. Which makes less sense to me than audio since speed limits. At least I can see (or rather hear) the full value of the gear I buy.
post #35 of 134

Well, for starters I don't really consider $200 to be that much money. Plus, I just like nice stuff.

post #36 of 134

OP seems like an obvious troll, but ironically he makes a point. I personally am about as obsessed with music as I am headphones. I think the two obsessions correspond very deeply.

post #37 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseWithWorms View Post

Well, i have never ever owned a smartphone and have always been fine with 30$ nokias (currently the nokia 1616 which is dreary as hell). The money that i saved up by not buying what today is considered as almost necessary, got spent on the akg k550.

 

Spending wisely is something completely subjective. If that's what this thread is all about, then it has no reason to be.

 

The notion that the Earth revolves around the Sun is subjective in that we're free to choose whether to adopt it or not. Regardless, a good case can be made that the Earth does revolve around the Sun, and likewise a good case can be made that certain ways to spend money are wiser than others - for instance, if you need to feed two people, it's generally wiser to buy one big portion than two smaller ones.

post #38 of 134

i spend a lot of time at home working and i love music... above all this stuff makes up a portion of what makes me happy and a price cant be put on that.

Its a personal case of what your concept of "value" is

You cant say i'm wrong for buying some orpheus (i wish) just as i cant say anyone is wrong for spending £800 on a shirt. if it makes you happy, do it.

post #39 of 134

That a product is laden with subjective sentimental value doesn't mean buying it is a wise use of money. A wiser use of money might involve convincing yourself not to let emotion guide your spending, then sussing out whether there are cheaper, better alternatives.

 

Whether it's wrong to spend unwisely, I don't know.

post #40 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

 

The notion that the Earth revolves around the Sun is subjective in that we're free to choose whether to adopt it or not. Regardless, a good case can be made that the Earth does revolve around the Sun, and likewise a good case can be made that certain ways to spend money are wiser than others - for instance, if you need to feed two people, it's generally wiser to buy one big portion than two smaller ones.

 

 

But isn't that only true if the one big portion is cheaper than the two smaller ones? After all, the latter could be on special.  tongue.gif

post #41 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

The notion that the Earth revolves around the Sun is subjective in that we're free to choose whether to adopt it or not. Regardless, a good case can be made that the Earth does revolve around the Sun, and likewise a good case can be made that certain ways to spend money are wiser than others - for instance, if you need to feed two people, it's generally wiser to buy one big portion than two smaller ones.

I don't understand this...How does one make a case for the earth NOT revolving around the sun? It is fact, it's not up for debate or subjectivity. Choosing to adopt a belief does not make the truth irrelevant. Buying one large portion for two people is only wiser if it is actually of greater value - more food per dollar - than the two smaller ones and that is not always a given. It is an unwise assumption, in fact wink.gif.

Quite frankly, you could argue against spending a lot of money on anything out of bare necessities as "unwise". I find it funny when people are horrified by the cost of my earphones and I ask about the cost of their shoes, "But, but, I can hear music just fine with my $20 headphones!" and your $200 shoes don't appear to make you able to walk any better than my $20 shoes enable me to.

There's certainly a case to be made for the lack of wisdom of people who are spending money on headphones instead of, you know, bonds or education or food. But if you have the expendable income, you should be allowed spend as much money on whatever your heart wishes without other people's disdain because they don't see the value in it. Expensive earphones, expensive music equipment, camera equipment, cellphones and gadgets... You're not just paying for "stuff", it's the joy and time spent with that stuff and the fact that you'll often get more joy out of something that is higher-end (higher-end does correlate directly with the cost) It would seem many people to me make themselves incredibly unhappy with always buying new things in the hope of something better sounding instead of spending time enjoying their recent investments. Too much time on sites like this that make you feel like whatever you currently possess simply isn't good as the other thing that the other people on that other website liked more.

I have a lot of expensive hobbies - guitar, audio equipment, computers and gadgets, digital arts. At least with headphone gear you don't have to take perishables into account too much except if you use tube amps and need to replace earpads or tips. And even then... My guitar amp has 11 tubes - seven Preamp and four Power. So much pain when I get them replaced and have the whole unit serviced, rebiased, etc... Last time it cost me the equivalent of $250. For a service, guys, this isn't even a new piece of gear to hold in the hands at the end of the day. And these were'nt special NOS tubes or anything - try get a bunch of those for an 11-tube amp and see how much your wallet likes you then. I hear the same stuff, though, "Woah, how can you spend so much money on something like that?! I have a solid state amp that doesn't need tubes to be replaced and it's fine! How can you justify that kind of expense?"

If it's great for you, then take your money and run away, Simba, and never return to this hobby.

And how do I justify it? Because I can afford my daily expenses, I am not in debt and I do not have any dependents. I pay for everything important and when I have some extra hard-earned money available, I will do whatever I please with it.

Because I spend my budget across so many hobbies, I need to be careful and patient and buy things that are investments instead of the latest and greatest FOTM. I always try get something second-hand or on special because why spend more if you don't have to? That way I have more money to spread into the other hobbies and because I'm limiting myself, I take more care in what I buy and take more time to enjoy what I've got.
Edited by hatefulsandwich - 6/16/13 at 8:19am
post #42 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

 

The notion that the Earth revolves around the Sun is subjective in that we're free to choose whether to adopt it or not. Regardless, a good case can be made that the Earth does revolve around the Sun, and likewise a good case can be made that certain ways to spend money are wiser than others - for instance, if you need to feed two people, it's generally wiser to buy one big portion than two smaller ones.

Technically speaking, I would say that which body revolves around which depends upon the coordinate system used for a reference. If there were a fixed reference point in the universe, it would be observed that both bodies are moving and the gravitational forces between them affect the motion of both. The sun's motion would be less affected due to its significantly greater mass.

 

All of which has nothing to do with prioritizing one's spending...

post #43 of 134
Why spend money? Because we can.

I have gifted people that don't have the money right now stuff as well. Headphones and gaming headsets.
post #44 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulsandwich View Post

Quite frankly, you could argue against spending a lot of money on anything out of bare necessities as "unwise".

(higher-end does correlate directly with the cost)

 

I argue that when given the choice of two equally good products to buy, it's generally unwise to choose the more expensive one, and if such a choice is made, it's quite likely the result of not having known better the quality of the other product. With headphones, buying modern mid-fi is potentially unwise since their technology is largely at a level attained in the '80s while the phones from the '80s can be had for a fraction of the price second-hand.


Edited by vid - 6/16/13 at 10:04am
post #45 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

I argue that when given the choice of two equally good products to buy, it's generally unwise to choose the more expensive one, and if such a choice is made, it's quite likely the result of not having known better the quality of the other product. With headphones, buying modern mid-fi is potentially unwise since their technology is largely at a level attained in the '80s while the phones from the '80s can be had for a fraction of the price second-hand.

Oh, I meant to say "does not". Typing on an iPad is an affair fraught with inaccuracies and (often comical) misunderstandings.

That does raise another point, though, how do you present two products as equally good? "Good" is subjective and one's preference for the sound of one earphone does not technically make it better than the other. If it were clear that two earphones were equal in all but price, I'm quite certain everyone would go for the one that costs less. If only the hobby were that simple...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddycrow View Post

Technically speaking, I would say that which body revolves around which depends upon the coordinate system used for a reference. If there were a fixed reference point in the universe, it would be observed that both bodies are moving and the gravitational forces between them affect the motion of both. The sun's motion would be less affected due to its significantly greater mass.

All of which has nothing to do with prioritizing one's spending...

I'm not an astrophysicist or anything, and I understand your point about bodies affecting one another, but doesn't what you're saying actually illustrate that one orbits the other and it isn't a question of coordinates? From what very little I know, orbit is established by mass and so the lower-massed planets orbit the greater-massed sun while bodies of even lower mass sometimes get caught in the gravitational pull of planets and become moons.

Again, nothing to do with spending or headphones, but I do enjoy learning new things in unexpected places and hopefully no one minds the slight off-topic banter as long as we don't derail things completely smily_headphones1.gif.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why do you people spend hundreds of dollars on headphones