I'm still thinking about this, I've been reading reviews for a week now and I'm not really much closer to a decision. I think I've ruled out the Mad Dogs, as I really want to drive from my Samsung phone at work, an amp would be a hindrance as it would need to be locked away at night. I'm in New Zealand so the cost of trying and returning headphones is relatively high - around $80 shipping both ways usually.
Requirements: closed, comfortable with glasses, no amp required, balanced sound, not for critical listen just want fun headphones for work. Preferred price around $200, up to $350 if I have to but I'd rather not pay that much.
- Sony MDR-R1. Good price, reviews are decent, heavy bass. Not great build quality, but cable/rattle problem, squeaky too.
- Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro: mostly a gimmick around an adjustable port. Very mixed reviews.
- V-Moda M100 - highly recommended by Jude for portable music, comfort rated not great due to shallow ear cups, lots of bass and recessed mids
- Sennheiser Momentum - expensive, but rates pretty well. A bit much bass, not super detail. Perhaps the front runner if I decide to spend that much
- Beyerdynamic 880 - semi open, lacking bass, more monitors than music headphones
- SoundMagic HP100 - good price, decent sound, cheaply made, coiled cord (awful) that's difficult to replace
- AKG K550 - doesn't suit people with smaller heads like myself, so not considering these
- Mad Dogs (not great from portable)
- Senn 280 (had em), akg 271 (had 'em),
For comparison, the Beats by Dr Dre are ok, not good detail or balance, but not awful. I use LCD2 at home. A900 were sonically just about perfect for me.
Every headphone has good and bad reviews, strengths and weaknesses. I've read so many reviews I'm getting confused. Help or guidance would be appreciated.