Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Neil Young - Heart Of Gold
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Neil Young - Heart Of Gold

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Dear Fellow Members

Hope you're all doing well. As the title suggests I've got this track on both 'Harvest' and 'Greatest Hits' albums. On both the CDs this particular track clips on two occasions within the first couple of minutes. Could anyone comment on this please?

Thanks

Ven

post #2 of 17

I have the 'Harvest' album ripped in FLAC from a CD. I checked "Heart Of Gold" and there is no clipping. The file I have is from the 1990 Warner / Reprise Canada release. The catalog number is CD 2277.

 

I know there is a remastered CD version, which I think was released in 2009.

 

All I can think of is that perhaps you have a remastered version of the song. I think all CD versions of the song were the same until it was remastered in 2009.


Edited by StratocasterMan - 6/16/13 at 12:04am
post #3 of 17

How do you know it is clipping?

post #4 of 17
Try to identify the time into the song of each occurrence. I have HoG (ALAC) & will listen for them, yet knowing the spots would help...
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thank you all for the replies. I have bought the 'Greatest Hits' in 2007 and it exhibits clipping. And I bought the 'Harvest' in 2010 but not a remaster. It clips/distorts @ 0.42/3, 0.46/7 at the right channel on both the CDs. 

post #6 of 17

I have the 2009 SHM-CD release and it distorts at those exact time points. I'm not sure if it is really clipping. I also have a vinyl rip of this album somewhere and will check out.

post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiterknight View Post

I have the 2009 SHM-CD release and it distorts at those exact time points. I'm not sure if it is really clipping. I also have a vinyl rip of this album somewhere and will check out.

 

Bad copy then. There is no distortion or clipping on the original release. Neil didn't release the song with clipping and distortion.

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 

Well, been to an Apple store couple of days ago, luckily they had this track on some of their iPod/Phones. And guess what, it distorts at those two instances.

post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvedam View Post

Well, been to an Apple store couple of days ago, luckily they had this track on some of their iPod/Phones. And guess what, it distorts at those two instances.

 

I'm guessing that a bad digital copy of the song somehow got replicated everywhere. Interesting. I mean, the album "Harvest" was released in 1972 right? "Heart Of Gold" is just a classic Neil Young track. There certainly aren't any problems with the original track.

 

I'm thinking that there must be a bunch of faulty digital copies of it. My 1990 CD has no clipping or distortion.

 

By the way, isn't Neil Young great? Yes, he is. biggrin.gif

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

 

I'm guessing that a bad digital copy of the song somehow got replicated everywhere. Interesting. I mean, the album "Harvest" was released in 1972 right? "Heart Of Gold" is just a classic Neil Young track. There certainly aren't any problems with the original track.

 

I'm thinking that there must be a bunch of faulty digital copies of it. My 1990 CD has no clipping or distortion.

 

By the way, isn't Neil Young great? Yes, he is. biggrin.gif

Neil is great..

 

I listened to the vinyl version of this song. This is the original master and it still distorts/clips at those two points, although it is much less audible than when I compare it to the remaster version. I expect that the DR is lesser on the remasters than on my vinyl version.

 

You can send me a copy from your 1990 CD of this song and I will check it out. Just for the sake of science and fun :-)

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiterknight View Post

Neil is great..

 

I listened to the vinyl version of this song. This is the original master and it still distorts/clips at those two points, although it is much less audible than when I compare it to the remaster version. I expect that the DR is lesser on the remasters than on my vinyl version.

 

You can send me a copy from your 1990 CD of this song and I will check it out. Just for the sake of science and fun :-)

 

Done! I sent you the FLAC file of "Heart Of Gold" for your evaluation. I used the software program Audacity to check the file for clipping, and I found none. Let me know the results of your testing. k701smile.gif

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
^Could you send me a copy please?
Thanks...
Ven
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvedam View Post

^Could you send me a copy please?
Thanks...
Ven

 

Sent you a PM...

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks for sending us the file John. Had a listen and it does distort but not as bad as the cds that I have.

post #15 of 17

My name is not John.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Neil Young - Heart Of Gold