Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb! - Page 39

post #571 of 769

Hey grizzlybeast, you gave a nice small review with some songs on the differences between the Mad Dog 3.2 and the Mad Dog Pro (for those who are interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread/2490#post_10394261)

 

How about doing this with the ZMF thrown in?

post #572 of 769
Later when I have time I will do a full review of the zmf v.2 and I will through in some of that from my notes. I had to do that because I sold the md3.2 today
post #573 of 769

Hey Guys I just got some very nice Pics of my Black Panther ZMF, and I want to share them with all of you!

To me It's a terrific work! Thanks Zach :)

 

 

post #574 of 769

Hey guys, I got a chance to visit Zach in Chicago today- he is super nice!  A really swell guy.  Also, and I hope Zach doesn't mind me posting about his new wooden cans, but I got a chance to hear them (apparently I 'm the first one besides the Zach himself!)

 

the verdict:

Fantastic!

 

I haven't heard a closed back pair image like that EVER.  I thought the headphones were super comfortable with the alpha pads and pilot pad.  Comfiest headphones I've tried in a long while.  The soundstage and balance really blew me away with these.  I quite liked the other headphones there, but the Turbulent, as I see its being called now, really had a sense of accuracy and pinpoint presentation - most certainly a "wow" factor headphone.  I liked the version with all three bassholes out the best, but even with all of them covered the bass felt well presented and even-handed.  The presentation wasn't as intimate as his other phones, more second or third row seats rather than on stage, to my ears at least.  What most impressed me was the tempo of the headphones; they were neither too fast, nor too slow.  for me at least, they hit a perfect balance that was easy to just aurally "hop on" to and stay engaged in the music without becoming either fatigued, or needing to turn the volume up.  Even on the HD800 I always felt the need to keep fiddling with volume.  Not on these.  I got a chance to listen to some Wilson Sophia's early today, and honestly, these headphones reminded me quite a lot of them.  Loads of accuracy and a very effortless sound, great texture and a sense of tangibility to it that only really excellent audio reproduction has (I'm a classically trained musician, so timbre, rhythm, and texture are really big for me- the Turbulent hits all the right notes to my ear)

I did hear more resolution on these than on the other cans, but I think that may have been just because the cans were clearer in general, and I felt that the added detail was because more sound was reaching my ear and not being lost in the housing. (one of the other ZMF pairs sounded a bit muffled, and though the rest were great, I tend to think Orthos sound a tad "distant" though much of that is the T50rp housing I'm sure) There was almost as much perceived resolution (though again, that warm, mor distant ortho sound) as on a pair of Grado Ps1000s I tried today too- and those fit about as well as an old banana peel!

 

I would buy these in a heartbeat if my budget would allow (and if they were released yet!)

I did decide to go with a pair of Grado sr325is today, just because I really dig the open-back sound and my budget was very limited.  (Sorry Zach!)  But if I had an opportunity to pick up a pair of closed cans, and didn't have to worry about cost, these would be my first choice, hands down.  Great job Zach!

post #575 of 769
The turbulent zmf looks awesome! I may even send in my zmf for an upgrade.cool.gif
post #576 of 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioKyle View Post

The turbulent zmf looks awesome! I may even send in my zmf for an upgrade.cool.gif

I dont know if Zach has the same upgrade program as Mr Speakers. I would check with him to be sure. He is super open to suggestions though as he solicits them on his site.

post #577 of 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

I dont know if Zach has the same upgrade program as Mr Speakers. I would check with him to be sure. He is super open to suggestions though as he solicits them on his site.

 

There's a big difference because the ZMF hasn't been changed over and over as Mad Dog has. Zach got it right the first time (before the first release).

 

Still, it's an idea. Might be easier, though, to buy the wood version and sell your old ZMF to a fellow Head-Fier in need of listening pleasure. :bigsmile_face: 

post #578 of 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

There's a big difference because the ZMF hasn't been changed over and over as Mad Dog has. Zach got it right the first time (before the first release).

 

Still, it's an idea. Might be easier, though, to buy the wood version and sell your old ZMF to a fellow Head-Fier in need of listening pleasure. :bigsmile_face: 

word up

post #579 of 769
Zach said he was thinking of an upgrade program when I visited. He said somewhere in the realm of $700 for the Turbulent base, and maybe a few hundred bucks off for an upgrade. Don't quote me for hard numbers on that one though.
post #580 of 769

I had the privilege of hearing the ZMF flagship wood prototype yesterday afternoon. I listened to it quite briefly, perhaps for half an hour. First, it is very comfortable. It is also versatile with the genres I listen to regularly and tried it with: classical, jazz, and metal.

 

The overall sound of the wood ZMF will be familiar to all who have tried the standard ZMF. That said, I believe that it is 1.75 to 2.5 times as good. How good is it? It is very good. It is simply one of the best models--open or closed--that I have ever heard. The presentation is distinctly natural. The most notable success is the openness of the sound. It has almost none of the thicker sound of the standard ZMF. After that, the other noteworthy change is the increase in instrument separation and soundstage width.

 

The only respect in which the standard ZMF is more successful is that the treble on the prototype isn't so effortless. Don't worry: the treble's fine, but it makes you more conscious of hearing it. Bear in mind, though, that this is a prototype so I would expect a few small changes between now and production. But what a start!

 

I was emotionally moved by what I heard, which very seldom happens, and it gave me an instinctive pleasure. The Turbo (my nickname for it) gets out of the way, and I was scarcely listening to the Turbo itself because I was immersed in the music. I can't wait to hear it again.

post #581 of 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

I had the privilege of hearing the ZMF flagship wood prototype yesterday afternoon. I listened to it quite briefly, perhaps for half an hour. First, it is very comfortable. It is also versatile with the genres I listen to regularly and tried it with: classical, jazz, and metal.

 

The overall sound of the wood ZMF will be familiar to all who have tried the standard ZMF. That said, I believe that it is 1.75 to 2.5 times as good. How good is it? It is very good. It is simply one of the best models--open or closed--that I have ever heard. The presentation is distinctly natural. The most notable success is the openness of the sound. It has almost none of the thicker sound of the standard ZMF. After that, the other noteworthy change is the increase in instrument separation and soundstage width.

 

The only respect in which the standard ZMF is more successful is that the treble on the prototype isn't so effortless. Don't worry: the treble's fine, but it makes you more conscious of hearing it. Bear in mind, though, that this is a prototype so I would expect a few small changes between now and production. But what a start!

 

I was emotionally moved by what I heard, which very seldom happens, and it gave me an instinctive pleasure. The Turbo (my nickname for it) gets out of the way, and I was scarcely listening to the Turbo itself because I was immersed in the music. I can't wait to hear it again.

Im jealous of those that live in Chi town! I got a lot of friends there too.

 

He mentioned that the new design enables him to tune more sub bass. That is something I am interested in. 

 

I need to hold off on purchasing things and save up for one.


Edited by grizzlybeast - 3/27/14 at 11:13pm
post #582 of 769
There were three bass hole ports. Zach said he'd talk with customers- 0-3 bass ports. I tried it with tape covering the holes in different combos. I thought all hopes covered was slightly too little bass (and I like Grados) but not what I'd call anemic. The difference between individual holes was minor, but 3 holes was great- maybe just a tad too much, it felt a little less balanced, but still excellent. I felt two yielded excellent results. I think 1-2 will be most peoples choices.
Side note: I felt it affected the whole of the bass and not just a specific section.

Edit:
Zach just told me he figured out a way to use rubber dowels so you can adjust the bass response yourself, and have all the options! Pretty neat. He said 12 will come with each set in case any get lost. Very cool.
Edited by ThePianoMan - 3/28/14 at 10:10am
post #583 of 769

man this is making me excited. I am holding on to some other headphones here as collateral so I can be able to cough up the funds for it. 

post #584 of 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

man this is making me excited. I am holding on to some other headphones here as collateral so I can be able to cough up the funds for it. 

 

That's the way to do it: I'm going to sell my K702 and a number of other items. I'd much rather have the Turbo.

post #585 of 769

I was in Chicago 2days ago. I hesitated to stop by Zack's place to get a try of its wooden proto...now I regret it a lot!!

A upgrade plan, would be great...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!