Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb! - Page 26

post #376 of 769

I'm sure you'll love them audiokyle.  what amp will you use with them?  they seem to love power

post #377 of 769
I feel compelled to mention that you both live in Hawaii. Maybe it's not as cool as I think it is.....but I do think it's cool!
post #378 of 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach915m View Post

I feel compelled to mention that you both live in Hawaii. Maybe it's not as cool as I think it is.....but I do think it's cool!

I never noticed. I wonder how much head fiers there are on this rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

I'm sure you'll love them audiokyle.  what amp will you use with them?  they seem to love power

Haha well I'm tight on money so I'll just be using my x3. I'll probably get a desktop amp later like a magni or o2.
post #379 of 769

Hello. 

A few days ago found this topic about modified t50RP when was looking for a headphones in class of Denon D600, Philips X1, Soundmagic HP100. 

In the past month I had all of them (as well as Soundmagic HP200, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro) and made a final choice for Denons. 

I was thinking about some isodynamic headphones. And finally I am here. 

 

There was great discussion about HP100, D600 and X1. Each of them has good and bad points. 

As for HP100, sound was great! Overall clarity and details in whole freq. range was super! But the pads were too bad and I had pain in my ears after about an hour. 

X1 does really has a great soundstage, but were too soft in its sound. Additionally sound was too warm compared to D600. Also it sound like through the cap. 

D600 appears to be best for me due to its superb clarity, though too much bass. When listen to high quality music then bass is ok, but when occasionally listen to some general youtube videos of some live-concert, there bass is too much!

 

As for the amp/dac I use Audinst HUD mx2.

 

How do you think would be t50rp compared to headphones above? Of course I mean ZMF mod, mainly v1.


Edited by dreame77 - 12/18/13 at 8:43am
post #380 of 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreame77 View Post
 

Hello. 

A few days ago found this topic about modified t50RP when was looking for a headphones in class of Denon D600, Philips X1, Soundmagic HP100. 

In the past month I had all of them (as well as Soundmagic HP200, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro) and made a final choice for Denons. 

I was thinking about some isodynamic headphones. And finally I am here. 

 

There was great discussion about HP100, D600 and X1. Each of them has good and bad points. 

As for HP100, sound was great! Overall clarity and details in whole freq. range was super! But the pads were too bad and I had pain in my ears after about an hour. 

X1 does really has a great soundstage, but were too soft in its sound. Additionally sound was too warm compared to D600. Also it sound like through the cap. 

D600 appears to be best for me due to its superb clarity, though too much bass. When listen to high quality music then bass is ok, but when occasionally listen to some general youtube videos of some live-concert, there bass is too much!

 

As for the amp/dac I use Audinst HUD mx2.

 

How do you think would be t50rp compared to headphones above?

I do not know if it is a good comparison.  isodynamic are not like the above listed.  t50rps change in character (a whole bunch) based on the mod, so that make it even more difficult to answer your question.  If you are curious you will just have to pick up a pair stock with the intent to mod or buy pre modded to really understand.

post #381 of 769

this is what I planned to do. 

Unfortunately in any case there would be significant shipping costs as far as I am from Germany=)

And also there are no pure version of t50rp available. All what I found on ebay was from USA or UK. 

In any case I have no intent to do any modding. Just use as is. If don't like, then ship back. 

 

Probably if I would say which music I listen, it would be easier.It depends on the mood, but in general:

Classic, Latina, Heavy metal (GnR, Ozzy, Velvet Revolver), Sympho rock (Evanescence, Nightwish, ...), classic rock (Beatles, ACDC, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Queen, Aerosmith,Scorpions,...), J-Rock, J-pop, K-pop, Club, Trance, Electronic. 

Something like this.

post #382 of 769

dreame77, I can't help you because I haven't heard none of the cans you mentioned.

But even considering the shippingcosts, the ZMF's are a steal. I doubt you can find a closed headphone with this quality for the same price.

 

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi!

I see the damage to your wallet is already done :beyersmile:

post #383 of 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreame77 View Post
 

As for HP100, sound was great! Overall clarity and details in whole freq. range was super! But the pads were too bad and I had pain in my ears after about an hour. 

Why don't you swap pads for something more comfortable? 

Mine are in transit, the seller added W1000x pads, if you are interested I'll let you know how this combo works together comfort-wise

post #384 of 769

In the topic about HP100 there was idea to use Beyerdynamic 770 pads, which add great comfort.

The reason why I shipped them back is simple -- D600 have the best comfort for me, and the clarity of the sound was significantly better. Not so detailed, but instruments separation was significantly better on D600. Details are more refined on HP100, but probably it was not most important factor for me.

In any case it would be interesting to know about comfort with w1000x pads.

 

 

Finally I just ordered a pair of ZMF's. Let's try =)

post #385 of 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreame77 View Post
 

Hello. 

A few days ago found this topic about modified t50RP when was looking for a headphones in class of Denon D600, Philips X1, Soundmagic HP100. 

In the past month I had all of them (as well as Soundmagic HP200, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro) and made a final choice for Denons. 

I was thinking about some isodynamic headphones. And finally I am here. 

 

There was great discussion about HP100, D600 and X1. Each of them has good and bad points. 

As for HP100, sound was great! Overall clarity and details in whole freq. range was super! But the pads were too bad and I had pain in my ears after about an hour. 

X1 does really has a great soundstage, but were too soft in its sound. Additionally sound was too warm compared to D600. Also it sound like through the cap. 

D600 appears to be best for me due to its superb clarity, though too much bass. When listen to high quality music then bass is ok, but when occasionally listen to some general youtube videos of some live-concert, there bass is too much!

 

As for the amp/dac I use Audinst HUD mx2.

 

How do you think would be t50rp compared to headphones above? Of course I mean ZMF mod, mainly v1.

I have heard them (not the hp100) 

Compared to the above  you can expect tighter bass but not as warm or full with as either, with a sound that is not nearly as open as the  x1 but way more full and less soft. Also the zmf to me was among the least fatiguing hp's I have owned, smooth treble and great mids. better than the x1 but still sounded balanced. Overall I think if you wanted less bass than both and a full sound then you cant go wrong here. The zmf sounds really natural as well..  more natural than the denons with better timbre...a little bass light for my preference but the sound better than the mad dogs I had by far. 

 

You need to amp them well though. They need more power than the hp's you mentioned. 

post #386 of 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

I have heard them (not the hp100) 

Compared to the above  you can expect tighter bass but not as warm or full with as either, with a sound that is not nearly as open as the  x1 but way more full and less soft. Also the zmf to me was among the least fatiguing hp's I have owned, smooth treble and great mids. better than the x1 but still sounded balanced. Overall I think if you wanted less bass than both and a full sound then you cant go wrong here. The zmf sounds really natural as well..  more natural than the denons with better timbre...a little bass light for my preference but the sound better than the mad dogs I had by far. 

 

You need to amp them well though. They need more power than the hp's you mentioned. 

According to the review of Audinst mx2 here on head-fi

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audinst-hud-mx2/reviews/8629

this amp can power even LCD-2 and HE-500. Thus I probably wouldn't have any problem. 

post #387 of 769
Hope everyone's enjoying the holidays! Since I'm not doing anything right now I decided to post my thoughts on the ZMF V2 which I got 4 days ago.



When these arrived the left ear cup was detached from the headband held on only by the wire. The fix was easy since it seemed that the screw that holds the leather strap, the headband, and the sliding adjusters together was loose. So I put everything together and tightened the screw. It then popped off again a couple days later. I noticed the screw is chipped on the end and that's why it isn't holding together well. Not criticizing Zach for this just thought I'd share. All it needs is a new screw.

Now onto the sound. I got the bass version since I generally like a slightly warm sound. Let me tell you, Zach is not lying when he calls this the "bass version". It's quite the bassy headphone imo. That can be good or bad depending on your preference. To compare, the V2 is more bassy than my esw9a, a900x, and m80's that I used to own. Now on a side note I have just the bare minimum standard version of these headphones with no gold re-jack or mogami cable.

Now the thing that impressed my about these are the realism and black background to the sound. Vocals just sound so real. It's as if Norah Jones is singing to me. There's no grain to the sound as well. Just the music plays. Even though these do have an elevated bass response, I still hear new things I've never heard before in my music because of the lack of grain and the realism.



UlUL's first post stated that he boosted the bass/lower mids 3 db on the V1 to get the bass he wanted out of it. I did the opposite by lowering it 3db. This is more my preference and hope the V1 sounds similar.

Keep in mind I've only tested these on a Fiio e17 on high gain so not exactly the most powerful amp ever. However I don't think a more powerful amp will change the sound signature of the headphone much. Although I do plan to get a magni or vali. wink.gif

I have contacted Zach and I will ship these back to try out the V1.



On another side note, I noticed me and Zach have the exact same Bluecell Dual Headphone Stand!
Edited by audioKyle - 12/24/13 at 3:34pm
post #388 of 769

I believe that you will find noticeable improvements with a higher power linear amplifier. You will get even more of what you already like about the ZMFs.

post #389 of 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolinho View Post
 

Why don't you swap pads for something more comfortable? 

Mine are in transit, the seller added W1000x pads, if you are interested I'll let you know how this combo works together comfort-wise

Maybe I'm out of the topic , sorry for that, but HP100 with W1000x pads are VERY confortable.

Very good sounding headphones!

post #390 of 769

Hi guys! Finally gotten my zmf. Just wanted to say a big thanks to Zach for this pair of headphones. First impressions are that the zmf V1 is very detailed, more so than my hd650. Bass is plentiful on the V1, so i think unless you're a basshead, one should probably get the V1 instead. Soundstage is also quite wide for a close pair of headphones with decent isolation. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!