Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › (Asus Essence One) vs (Modi+Asgard 2 (or Magni))
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

(Asus Essence One) vs (Modi+Asgard 2 (or Magni))

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 

Hey guys I'd like opinions,impressions and suggestions from anyone who owns these devices...I'm intetioned to buy Modi + Asgard 2 but I've not really decided because of lack of personal impressions about essence one.thanks to anyone will answer.

post #2 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldduck2004 View Post

Hey guys I'd like opinions,impressions and suggestions from anyone who owns these devices...I'm intetioned to buy Modi + Asgard 2 but I've not really decided because of lack of personal impressions about essence one.thanks to anyone will answer.

Honestly, I don't know if anyone ones both of those. What kind of sound are you looking for? Modi+magni is flat with slightly harsh treble.

post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

Honestly, I don't know if anyone ownes both of those. What kind of sound are you looking for? Modi+magni is flat with slightly harsh treble.

post #4 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

Honestly, I don't know if anyone ones both of those. What kind of sound are you looking for? Modi+magni is flat with slightly harsh treble.

I'd like to found a smooth and full sound especially for the bass that I like so much...any suggestions about it?

post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldduck2004 View Post

I'd like to found a smooth and full sound especially for the bass that I like so much...any suggestions about it?

Well, Magni and Modi is know for flatness. Yes, bass is present, but I won't call them warm and smooth. You should probably look for tube amps.

post #6 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

Well, Magni and Modi is know for flatness. Yes, bass is present, but I won't call them warm and smooth. You should probably look for tube amps.

tube amps?are tou talking about Schiit Valhalla?

post #7 of 37
Thread Starter 

ok but my budget can't go out of 500 $...In other way I will decide for modi+asgard 2 thinking about an upgrade in the future...

post #8 of 37

No no. It obviously doesn't have to be valhalla. Tube amps in general are more smooth and warm then solid state amps. You can find a tube amp that varies fro $50 to 300,000. There are lots of options for you.


Edited by kimvictor - 6/13/13 at 6:26am
post #9 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

No no. It obviously doesn't have to be valhalla. Tube amps in general are more smooth and warm then solid state amps. You can find a tube amp that varies fro $50 to 300,000. There are lots of options for you.

please give me suggestions about this choose because I am new about this topic (I've learnt some things about hardware till now but not about amplifier and DAC...)...

 

Are you talking about this 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595113/differences-between-tube-amps-and-solid-state-amps-how-do-i-know-which-one-to-get

?


Edited by donaldduck2004 - 6/13/13 at 2:29pm
post #10 of 37

Take a look at the little dot amps. I used to own the mk III combined with the dt880/600. Now I am using the MK IV SE with my hd600 and it sounds wonderful. Lots of tube rolling options with the little dots. If you want a warm and full sound, go with the mullard m8100 tubes. I prefer the m8161 as i found the m8100 had a bit more bass than I liked.

 

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=86ec7c265c8cfebd70197bce734c6de0

 

Another option is the project sunrise amp, which is a hybrid tube/solid state amp that can be had for under $300.

post #11 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner100 View Post

Take a look at the little dot amps. I used to own the mk III combined with the dt880/600. Now I am using the MK IV SE with my hd600 and it sounds wonderful. Lots of tube rolling options with the little dots. If you want a warm and full sound, go with the mullard m8100 tubes. I prefer the m8161 as i found the m8100 had a bit more bass than I liked.

 

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=86ec7c265c8cfebd70197bce734c6de0

 

Another option is the project sunrise amp, which is a hybrid tube/solid state amp that can be had for under $300.

Good but the problem is to try them.How can I choose one instead of another without trying its sound?mad.gif

 

but what about differences between solid state and tube amps in terms of sound quality?about price I've found MK IV SE at much over 500$ but I don't know anything about tube amps...till now I knew only solid state amp (an only now I've met them...)


Edited by donaldduck2004 - 6/13/13 at 3:01pm
post #12 of 37

Unfortunately you can't try them all. It really depends on what headphones you're using and the sound that you're looking for. Best to look for reviews with the amps and headphones in question.

post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldduck2004 View Post

Good but the problem is to try them.How can I choose one instead of another without trying its sound?mad.gif


but what about differences between solid state and tube amps in terms of sound quality?about price I've found MK IV SE at much over 500$ but I don't know anything about tube amps...till now I knew only solid state amp (an only now I've met them...)

Trying them is the rub. Best way to get some experience with different amps is to see if there is a head-fi meetup in your area: http://www.head-fi.org/f/24/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers

Otherwise, better solid state amps should aim towards transparency. That is, they should do their best to accurately reproduce the original sound. Tube amps color the sound, often adding warmth and/or changes to soundstage. Buy something like an O2 or Magni, and you are already getting very, very close to transparency.

Since you are are new to this, I suggest getting a good solid state amp instead of trying to think of using amps to change the sound when you can't demo them. Especially since the differences (if any) between the sound of two amps can be very subtle. Any subjective descriptions of amp differences you find here may not be what you experience.

Plus, if you go with a good solid state amp, since they are aimed at being accurate for the money, you'll then have a perspective for understanding whether or not you want to get a tube amp in the future.
post #14 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Trying them is the rub. Best way to get some experience with different amps is to see if there is a head-fi meetup in your area: http://www.head-fi.org/f/24/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers

Otherwise, better solid state amps should aim towards transparency. That is, they should do their best to accurately reproduce the original sound. Tube amps color the sound, often adding warmth and/or changes to soundstage. Buy something like an O2 or Magni, and you are already getting very, very close to transparency.

Since you are are new to this, I suggest getting a good solid state amp instead of trying to think of using amps to change the sound when you can't demo them. Especially since the differences (if any) between the sound of two amps can be very subtle. Any subjective descriptions of amp differences you find here may not be what you experience.

Plus, if you go with a good solid state amp, since they are aimed at being accurate for the money, you'll then have a perspective for understanding whether or not you want to get a tube amp in the future.

ok I thin I'll go with modi+asgard 2 or at least with magni because of money (even if people thinks that its volume nobble is not good as other pieces of what the  amplifier is made of).Do you think I could change something in this setup?I'll use them with a pair of dt770-250 ohm.

 

P.S. But what are o2 amps?I've never heard them?


Edited by donaldduck2004 - 6/14/13 at 8:14am
post #15 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner100 View Post

Unfortunately you can't try them all. It really depends on what headphones you're using and the sound that you're looking for. Best to look for reviews with the amps and headphones in question.

I'll use a pair of dt770 - 250 ohm but I have not bought them yet...I'd like to buy them together with ampli+dac.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › (Asus Essence One) vs (Modi+Asgard 2 (or Magni))