Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 52

post #766 of 2825
Hopefully some upgrades (gain board?) won't be so hard to be mounted, I pointed that out because for many customers living outside US it would cost big money to send the unit back to Shiit, so that should be taken into account.

 

Anyway, the solid state Ragnarok should have an all discrete (no opamps) audio path, am I right?


Edited by Pidgeon - 11/6/13 at 3:47pm
post #767 of 2825

^ I could be mistaken, but it looks like the summer has opamps in the signal path. I don't see them anywhere else though.

post #768 of 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

^ I could be mistaken, but it looks like the summer has opamps in the signal path. I don't see them anywhere else though.

The opamps are for the DC servo for the summers alone. There's no DC servo in the main balanced output path.

post #769 of 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

The opamps are for the DC servo for the summers alone. There's no DC servo in the main balanced output path.

Thanks for the clarification Jason :)

post #770 of 2825
I am under the impression that op-amps are bad and they should feel bad. But i have no idea what a dc servo is, so i'm not sure how important it is (or how it should feel).
post #771 of 2825

haha

post #772 of 2825

Hi Jason,

 

Just want to say that one of the coolest things about trudging to meets and shows is that we are rewarded with "sneak peeks" at products on the horizon or in development...please continue to bring these things out for us if you would.

 

For those of us waiting for these products, we get to see that they are real and happening...there is also an education in listening to the differences between prototypes and production versions.  

 

Totally interesting to hear and see the process.

 

Thank you! 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

Hey all, a quick update on Ragnarok.

 

The one that we had with us at the show had multiple problems, including simple mechanical stuff like a loose output connection, and bigger stuff like an oscillating summer. No, not that kind of summer. Summers convert balanced into single-ended output, which is why the SE out on the Ragnarok was unlistenable, and the balanced output was acting, well, odd, and not sounding up to snuff. That's what we get for bringing early stuff. Ah, well.

 

Here's where we are now: with a set of new production qualifier boards, ready for new firmware and integration this week. If all goes well, we should be able to meet our December ship date. If it turns out we want to make some more tweaks, we may be slipping a bit. This one won't go out until it is absolutely, 100%, no-excuses perfect.

Reply
post #773 of 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post

Totally interesting to hear and see the process.

 

While I can't speak for hearing, I absolutely love reading about the process you guys go through to design and refine your products!

post #774 of 2825

This thread that the OP started was also about the YGGDRASIL, however nobody ever talks about it any more. Any news when this is supposed to be released? Also the original information about the specifications for this DAC have long since disappeared. I only asked because I'm VERY close to buying a DAC but if this isn't coming out for several more months then I'll need to move along.

post #775 of 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrat View Post
 

This thread that the OP started was also about the YGGDRASIL, however nobody ever talks about it any more. Any news when this is supposed to be released? Also the original information about the specifications for this DAC have long since disappeared. I only asked because I'm VERY close to buying a DAC but if this isn't coming out for several more months then I'll need to move along.

 

They said in the very beginning that the release dates are quite different, so don't expect it to be talked about until it gets its development round turn.

post #776 of 2825

I believe the last Jason told us was 1st quarter 2014. Here's hoping it's sooner rather than later-but I wouldn't hold my breath. That said I have always been extremely interested in the Yggi-moreso than any other Schiit product.

 

-Daniel

post #777 of 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

That said I have always been extremely interested in the Yggi-moreso than any other Schiit product.

 

-Daniel

 

Same here, ever since it was announced

post #778 of 2825

Me too. I've been watching this space ever since it was announced. Any time now..

post #779 of 2825

I've a feeling that Yggdrasil will likely be released in Q3 2014. But it will be perfect, and that's the most important thing! ;)

 

Talking about Ragnarok, is it a pure Class A amplifier?


Edited by Pidgeon - 11/18/13 at 7:08am
post #780 of 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeon View Post
 

I've a feeling that Yggdrasil will likely be released in Q3 2014. But it will be perfect, and that's the most important thing! ;)

 

Talking about Ragnarok, is it a pure Class A amplifier?

At 60 watts per channel ?  I doubt it - the heatsinks would need to be massive.  It would double as a space heater.  It should be heavily biased towards Class A though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil