It's very much a chicken & egg problem for DSD...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family! Last post on Today at 12:28 pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Head Fi's Favourite Amp for the Audeze LCD 2: $200-$1000 [POLL] Last post on 1/21/15 at 5:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up Last post on Yesterday at 4:44 am in Jason Stoddard
- Toys for Boys Last post on Today at 5:26 am in High-end Audio Forum
- Schiit Uberfrost + Lyr + tubes + more!!! Last post on Yesterday at 9:02 am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 11/28/14
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely...
Ever since picking these IEMs up, they have been my go-to pair for almost every genre of music. They provide a great balance of neutrality paired with extremely forward and lush mids which do not...
This is a very impressive can for less than 1000.00! If this was a 1300-1500.00 can, I wouldn't say it was overpriced. Especially given what some of the audeze and hd800 cost. Now I wouldn't say...
Hello Head-Fi It's been a while since I've participated here since I more or less found my end game and now I only have the urge to change my music player. Today I'll be writing about the AKG...
New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 38
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
It always is.
It was for quadraphonic.
It was for reel to reel.
It was for elCassette.
It was for HDCD.
It was for DVD-Audio.
It was for SACD.
It is for DSD, and DSD 2X, and DXD, and all the other unicorn formats out there.
Software is always the problem. And that's not getting into how many SACDs were upsampled from PCM, or trying to count the number of "pure DSD" recordings that have never been edited in PCM. There are very, very few of those.
However, there is a lot of current interest on DSD, so we have to provide an answer for it. We will be announcing our answer in the next week or so. And that's all I can really say about that, other than it doesn't affect any current upgrades to Bifrost or Gungnir, nor will it involve sending Bifrost or Gungnir back in to us for changes.
Sorry to be mysterious, but all will be revealed shortly.
Seems to me more like many egg crate manufacturers when there aren't that many chickens or even eggs around.... Anyhow, back on topic...?
Bingo. Mike Moffat thinks it's because the press is fundamentally bored, so any new format, especially one that elevates "audiophilia" from "the common man" will be shouted from the rooftops. Personally, I think that the real issue is compressed vs uncompressed formats. The reality is that 99% of music is bought as AAC/MP3, because that's what's out there, and because it's easy.
Tell someone, "Hey, you know, 16/44 uncompressed is even better but there's also 24/96 for some stuff, and a bit of 24/192, and you can also go DSD or DSD 2x, but you need 24/384 capability for that, and then there's DXD and DSD 4x..." and they'll look at you like you've lost your head and go back to buying from iTunes.
If there was one, single, accepted "step up" standard, say 24/96, sold at a premium through the standard channels, we might get somewhere. But with so many different variations, it's not going to happen. DSD and its variants just compound the problem.
Sorry, yes, back on topic. Looking forward to bringing Ragnarok to RMAF!
Correct me If im Wrong but as far as i know, while there are higher than 24/96 decoders, there are no higher than 24/96 encoders. So every song that is recorded in a Studio has that cap for its real quality (im guessing electronic music could go higher in this case).
I remmber reading something about it while randomly googling stuff about music.
What im trying to say is that i Guess there is a limit to how "good" things can actually sound, based on the encoding/compression.
Frankly, anything over 160 kbps mp3 is quite good for me, as long as its a good quality recording.
192kHz is the highest sampling rate supported by Pro Tools, the industry leading software. There are all sorts of arguments that 24/96 is ideal and 192 actually degrades audio performance but let's stay on topic The point is, I"m sure the statement Schiit will support any need.
Edited by azteca x - 9/27/13 at 5:46am
you're not the only one... i wonder which other dac is schiit working on...
I think he's referring to things like the Loki, not necessarily big amps like the Rag or Mjolnir
- New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Who still has the Sony SA5000? 41 seconds ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 2 minutes ago
- › Chicago Area Meet - Saturday April 25 - Part of the Ear Gear Expo... 2 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 3 minutes ago
- › Arizona Head-Fi Meet: January 24th 2015 - Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!! 3 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by inline79
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)