It's very much a chicken & egg problem for DSD...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread Last post on Today at 5:14 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil? Last post on Today at 10:33 am in High-end Audio Forum
- Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise Last post on 5/20/15 at 11:44am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Magni2 Uber/Modi2 Uber vs Vali/Loki Last post on 7/18/15 at 4:05pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Happens.....A Lesson In Customer Service. Last post on 5/15/15 at 8:01am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 6/26/15
for the price is good but if you want to have that premier sound qualtiy of studio you need a dac of 300 dolllar +
I'm using eartips I found on a pair of Dollar Store earbuds. They look like JVC Spiral dot tips but with a larger dameter opening, more rubbery too. I also tried the CKW1000anv with the JVC's...
About Me I stumbled into the head-fi world when my itchy fingers picked up a Shure SE846 back in January’14. Since then, it has been a long journey, and I’m only just starting. Exploring the...
Introduction: As a well-known cable maker company, Forza AudioWorks is located in Poland. Its CEO and founder Matthew, a good English speaker and known as ‘’Matez’’ on Head-Fi, is a nice guy to...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My first introduction to Bluetooth earphones came with the Brainwavz Blu-100, and whilst...
New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 38
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #557 of 88208/28/13 at 1:00pm
It always is.
It was for quadraphonic.
It was for reel to reel.
It was for elCassette.
It was for HDCD.
It was for DVD-Audio.
It was for SACD.
It is for DSD, and DSD 2X, and DXD, and all the other unicorn formats out there.
Software is always the problem. And that's not getting into how many SACDs were upsampled from PCM, or trying to count the number of "pure DSD" recordings that have never been edited in PCM. There are very, very few of those.
However, there is a lot of current interest on DSD, so we have to provide an answer for it. We will be announcing our answer in the next week or so. And that's all I can really say about that, other than it doesn't affect any current upgrades to Bifrost or Gungnir, nor will it involve sending Bifrost or Gungnir back in to us for changes.
Sorry to be mysterious, but all will be revealed shortly.post #558 of 88208/28/13 at 1:03pm
Seems to me more like many egg crate manufacturers when there aren't that many chickens or even eggs around.... Anyhow, back on topic...?post #559 of 88208/28/13 at 1:16pmQuote:
Bingo. Mike Moffat thinks it's because the press is fundamentally bored, so any new format, especially one that elevates "audiophilia" from "the common man" will be shouted from the rooftops. Personally, I think that the real issue is compressed vs uncompressed formats. The reality is that 99% of music is bought as AAC/MP3, because that's what's out there, and because it's easy.
Tell someone, "Hey, you know, 16/44 uncompressed is even better but there's also 24/96 for some stuff, and a bit of 24/192, and you can also go DSD or DSD 2x, but you need 24/384 capability for that, and then there's DXD and DSD 4x..." and they'll look at you like you've lost your head and go back to buying from iTunes.
If there was one, single, accepted "step up" standard, say 24/96, sold at a premium through the standard channels, we might get somewhere. But with so many different variations, it's not going to happen. DSD and its variants just compound the problem.
Sorry, yes, back on topic. Looking forward to bringing Ragnarok to RMAF!post #560 of 88208/28/13 at 1:18pmpost #561 of 88208/28/13 at 1:29pmpost #562 of 88208/28/13 at 11:56pm
Correct me If im Wrong but as far as i know, while there are higher than 24/96 decoders, there are no higher than 24/96 encoders. So every song that is recorded in a Studio has that cap for its real quality (im guessing electronic music could go higher in this case).
I remmber reading something about it while randomly googling stuff about music.
What im trying to say is that i Guess there is a limit to how "good" things can actually sound, based on the encoding/compression.
Frankly, anything over 160 kbps mp3 is quite good for me, as long as its a good quality recording.post #563 of 88208/29/13 at 3:32ampost #564 of 88209/26/13 at 2:20ampost #565 of 88209/27/13 at 5:45amQuote:
192kHz is the highest sampling rate supported by Pro Tools, the industry leading software. There are all sorts of arguments that 24/96 is ideal and 192 actually degrades audio performance but let's stay on topic The point is, I"m sure the statement Schiit will support any need.
Edited by azteca x - 9/27/13 at 5:46ampost #566 of 88209/28/13 at 8:39pmpost #567 of 88209/28/13 at 9:00pmQuote:
you're not the only one... i wonder which other dac is schiit working on...post #568 of 88209/28/13 at 9:19pmpost #569 of 88209/29/13 at 12:23pmpost #570 of 88209/29/13 at 12:30pmQuote:
I think he's referring to things like the Loki, not necessarily big amps like the Rag or Mjolnir
- New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Basically unused JDS Labs Element 39 seconds ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Nashua, New Hampshire Meet: Decemeber 5th, 2015 4 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - The Shard Event 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 7 minutes ago
- › Looking for new portable headphones 10 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 10 minutes ago
- › Grado SR225 or SR225I 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by younes berrada
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CKW1000ANV Inner Ear Headphones 50th Anniversary... by kameenadesi
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by Tobias89
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2