It's very much a chicken & egg problem for DSD...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread Last post on Today at 12:56 am in High-end Audio Forum
- Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil? Last post on 12/4/15 at 10:14am in High-end Audio Forum
- Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise Last post on 5/20/15 at 11:44am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Magni2 Uber/Modi2 Uber vs Vali/Loki Last post on 7/18/15 at 4:05pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Happens.....A Lesson In Customer Service. Last post on 12/8/15 at 2:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/30/15
The E5 is so close to being a giant killer but it has a few major flaws in my opinion. This is a technically oriented review. I like neutral sound signatures and bit perfect playback. I don't...
"Massdrop Blue Box - NuForce HEM IEMs" special drop pricing = $169.99*; Actual MSRP = $399.00 (I joined the drop on Massdrop and received the HEM6; LINK. You can find these and the other...
Hi All, I was given the chance to review the new Shozy Zero Rosewood earphones in exchange for just a small fee to cover the shipping. I received, as I'm sure some other reviewers did, an...
-- I give you Lend Me UR Ears house brand Alpha & Delta D2 Sports Earphone: **A few Disclaimers to get out of the way here**: #1 – I was approached by Lend Me UR Ears to review the...
I really like the t-90; I have had them for about two months and really enjoy the brightness. I also have the T70p and the t-5p second gen. I like the t70p better than anything so far. The t 90...
New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 38
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #557 of 91998/28/13 at 1:00pm
It always is.
It was for quadraphonic.
It was for reel to reel.
It was for elCassette.
It was for HDCD.
It was for DVD-Audio.
It was for SACD.
It is for DSD, and DSD 2X, and DXD, and all the other unicorn formats out there.
Software is always the problem. And that's not getting into how many SACDs were upsampled from PCM, or trying to count the number of "pure DSD" recordings that have never been edited in PCM. There are very, very few of those.
However, there is a lot of current interest on DSD, so we have to provide an answer for it. We will be announcing our answer in the next week or so. And that's all I can really say about that, other than it doesn't affect any current upgrades to Bifrost or Gungnir, nor will it involve sending Bifrost or Gungnir back in to us for changes.
Sorry to be mysterious, but all will be revealed shortly.post #558 of 91998/28/13 at 1:03pm
Seems to me more like many egg crate manufacturers when there aren't that many chickens or even eggs around.... Anyhow, back on topic...?post #559 of 91998/28/13 at 1:16pmQuote:
Bingo. Mike Moffat thinks it's because the press is fundamentally bored, so any new format, especially one that elevates "audiophilia" from "the common man" will be shouted from the rooftops. Personally, I think that the real issue is compressed vs uncompressed formats. The reality is that 99% of music is bought as AAC/MP3, because that's what's out there, and because it's easy.
Tell someone, "Hey, you know, 16/44 uncompressed is even better but there's also 24/96 for some stuff, and a bit of 24/192, and you can also go DSD or DSD 2x, but you need 24/384 capability for that, and then there's DXD and DSD 4x..." and they'll look at you like you've lost your head and go back to buying from iTunes.
If there was one, single, accepted "step up" standard, say 24/96, sold at a premium through the standard channels, we might get somewhere. But with so many different variations, it's not going to happen. DSD and its variants just compound the problem.
Sorry, yes, back on topic. Looking forward to bringing Ragnarok to RMAF!post #560 of 91998/28/13 at 1:18pmpost #561 of 91998/28/13 at 1:29pmpost #562 of 91998/28/13 at 11:56pm
Correct me If im Wrong but as far as i know, while there are higher than 24/96 decoders, there are no higher than 24/96 encoders. So every song that is recorded in a Studio has that cap for its real quality (im guessing electronic music could go higher in this case).
I remmber reading something about it while randomly googling stuff about music.
What im trying to say is that i Guess there is a limit to how "good" things can actually sound, based on the encoding/compression.
Frankly, anything over 160 kbps mp3 is quite good for me, as long as its a good quality recording.post #563 of 91998/29/13 at 3:32ampost #564 of 91999/26/13 at 2:20ampost #565 of 91999/27/13 at 5:45amQuote:
192kHz is the highest sampling rate supported by Pro Tools, the industry leading software. There are all sorts of arguments that 24/96 is ideal and 192 actually degrades audio performance but let's stay on topic The point is, I"m sure the statement Schiit will support any need.
Edited by azteca x - 9/27/13 at 5:46ampost #566 of 91999/28/13 at 8:39pmpost #567 of 91999/28/13 at 9:00pmQuote:
you're not the only one... i wonder which other dac is schiit working on...post #568 of 91999/28/13 at 9:19pmpost #569 of 91999/29/13 at 12:23pmpost #570 of 91999/29/13 at 12:30pmQuote:
I think he's referring to things like the Loki, not necessarily big amps like the Rag or Mjolnir
- New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 58 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread 3 minutes ago
- › DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, February 27, 2016 -- Impressions... 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 3 minutes ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 4 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze's 2016 revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered headphones, the... 7 minutes ago
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by vapman
- › NuForce HEM6 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Triple... by Hi-Fi EDU
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by jant71
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by BloodyPenguin
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by glennkresge
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by ryanjsoo
- › Rhapsodio Galaxy by taz23
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse