It's very much a chicken & egg problem for DSD...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread Last post on Yesterday at 5:09 am in High-end Audio Forum
- Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil? Last post on 6/4/15 at 6:38am in High-end Audio Forum
- Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise Last post on 5/20/15 at 11:44am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Magni2 Uber/Modi2 Uber vs Vali/Loki Last post on 7/18/15 at 4:05pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Happens.....A Lesson In Customer Service. Last post on 5/15/15 at 8:01am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 6/26/15
First off, I got the E80 on loan from a generous fellow headfi'er. You know who you are. Thanks! I have absolutely no connection to SoundMagic and have no incentive to compose this review...
The Blackwood and Cherrywood side by side. Overall view of what this review consisted of. First of all, I’d like to thank Zach for supplying the Omni for this...
Everybody knows Sennheiser. They are doing great job at delivering good sound for all prices. I am doing this review with price factor in thought. First of all it is suprisingly detailed sounding...
Wow. There doesn’t seem to be a more appropriate way to word the beginning of this review, than to simply express my genuine surprise, and indeed – to a certain extent – admiration of the UMi Voix...
I bought the Q Audio French Silk balanced cable for my Audeze LCD-3's mainly because of the ergonomics and cool design/look over the stock cables. When running balanced, I doubted I would hear much...
New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 38
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #557 of 84628/28/13 at 1:00pm
It always is.
It was for quadraphonic.
It was for reel to reel.
It was for elCassette.
It was for HDCD.
It was for DVD-Audio.
It was for SACD.
It is for DSD, and DSD 2X, and DXD, and all the other unicorn formats out there.
Software is always the problem. And that's not getting into how many SACDs were upsampled from PCM, or trying to count the number of "pure DSD" recordings that have never been edited in PCM. There are very, very few of those.
However, there is a lot of current interest on DSD, so we have to provide an answer for it. We will be announcing our answer in the next week or so. And that's all I can really say about that, other than it doesn't affect any current upgrades to Bifrost or Gungnir, nor will it involve sending Bifrost or Gungnir back in to us for changes.
Sorry to be mysterious, but all will be revealed shortly.post #558 of 84628/28/13 at 1:03pm
Seems to me more like many egg crate manufacturers when there aren't that many chickens or even eggs around.... Anyhow, back on topic...?post #559 of 84628/28/13 at 1:16pmQuote:
Bingo. Mike Moffat thinks it's because the press is fundamentally bored, so any new format, especially one that elevates "audiophilia" from "the common man" will be shouted from the rooftops. Personally, I think that the real issue is compressed vs uncompressed formats. The reality is that 99% of music is bought as AAC/MP3, because that's what's out there, and because it's easy.
Tell someone, "Hey, you know, 16/44 uncompressed is even better but there's also 24/96 for some stuff, and a bit of 24/192, and you can also go DSD or DSD 2x, but you need 24/384 capability for that, and then there's DXD and DSD 4x..." and they'll look at you like you've lost your head and go back to buying from iTunes.
If there was one, single, accepted "step up" standard, say 24/96, sold at a premium through the standard channels, we might get somewhere. But with so many different variations, it's not going to happen. DSD and its variants just compound the problem.
Sorry, yes, back on topic. Looking forward to bringing Ragnarok to RMAF!post #560 of 84628/28/13 at 1:18pmpost #561 of 84628/28/13 at 1:29pmpost #562 of 84628/28/13 at 11:56pm
Correct me If im Wrong but as far as i know, while there are higher than 24/96 decoders, there are no higher than 24/96 encoders. So every song that is recorded in a Studio has that cap for its real quality (im guessing electronic music could go higher in this case).
I remmber reading something about it while randomly googling stuff about music.
What im trying to say is that i Guess there is a limit to how "good" things can actually sound, based on the encoding/compression.
Frankly, anything over 160 kbps mp3 is quite good for me, as long as its a good quality recording.post #563 of 84628/29/13 at 3:32ampost #564 of 84629/26/13 at 2:20ampost #565 of 84629/27/13 at 5:45amQuote:
192kHz is the highest sampling rate supported by Pro Tools, the industry leading software. There are all sorts of arguments that 24/96 is ideal and 192 actually degrades audio performance but let's stay on topic The point is, I"m sure the statement Schiit will support any need.
Edited by azteca x - 9/27/13 at 5:46ampost #566 of 84629/28/13 at 8:39pmpost #567 of 84629/28/13 at 9:00pmQuote:
you're not the only one... i wonder which other dac is schiit working on...post #568 of 84629/28/13 at 9:19pmpost #569 of 84629/29/13 at 12:23pmpost #570 of 84629/29/13 at 12:30pmQuote:
I think he's referring to things like the Loki, not necessarily big amps like the Rag or Mjolnir
- New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Great news for rooted android users--Viper4Android 14 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 46 seconds ago
- › What is resolution and how is it measured? 1 minute ago
- › Apple Touch 6G 128GB - Info and impressions 5G vs 6G 5 minutes ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 7 minutes ago
- › Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (Reviewed: #8:CT6E, #7:H8P,... 7 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 8 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 9 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Edition 10 minutes ago
- › PSB Speakers M4U 4 --- Hybrid BA/Dynamic IEM 11 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by nmatheis
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by Jjacq
- › Sennheiser - Sennheiser CX 200 Street II by Gonomon
- › UMI Voix Blu by Rashmosh
- › Q Cables by Mediahound
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by goodyfresh
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3