It's very much a chicken & egg problem for DSD...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread Last post on Yesterday at 5:22 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil? Last post on 12/4/15 at 10:14am in High-end Audio Forum
- Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise Last post on 5/20/15 at 11:44am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Magni2 Uber/Modi2 Uber vs Vali/Loki Last post on 7/18/15 at 4:05pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Happens.....A Lesson In Customer Service. Last post on 12/8/15 at 2:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/30/15
Unboxing and Packaging The ShareMe 5 arrived in a box that looks similar to the ShareMe Pro, but thicker. The packing inside is slightly nicer looking. The plastic container holding the...
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/ibasso-it03-review/ I was honoured to be approached by iBasso with their first venture into IEM territory and they...
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/jomo-samba-pro-audio-ciem-review/ Jomo Audio is a Singapore local company that crafts in ear earphones that sound and...
Elephone Whisper Noise Cancelling Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to GearBest for the sample. Full review...
Disclaimer: These headphones were sent to me thanks to the Oppo loaner program. They have since been returned and sent to the next reviewer. Want a headphone that sounds excellent, is easy...
New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 38
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #557 of 92908/28/13 at 1:00pm
It always is.
It was for quadraphonic.
It was for reel to reel.
It was for elCassette.
It was for HDCD.
It was for DVD-Audio.
It was for SACD.
It is for DSD, and DSD 2X, and DXD, and all the other unicorn formats out there.
Software is always the problem. And that's not getting into how many SACDs were upsampled from PCM, or trying to count the number of "pure DSD" recordings that have never been edited in PCM. There are very, very few of those.
However, there is a lot of current interest on DSD, so we have to provide an answer for it. We will be announcing our answer in the next week or so. And that's all I can really say about that, other than it doesn't affect any current upgrades to Bifrost or Gungnir, nor will it involve sending Bifrost or Gungnir back in to us for changes.
Sorry to be mysterious, but all will be revealed shortly.post #558 of 92908/28/13 at 1:03pm
Seems to me more like many egg crate manufacturers when there aren't that many chickens or even eggs around.... Anyhow, back on topic...?post #559 of 92908/28/13 at 1:16pmQuote:
Bingo. Mike Moffat thinks it's because the press is fundamentally bored, so any new format, especially one that elevates "audiophilia" from "the common man" will be shouted from the rooftops. Personally, I think that the real issue is compressed vs uncompressed formats. The reality is that 99% of music is bought as AAC/MP3, because that's what's out there, and because it's easy.
Tell someone, "Hey, you know, 16/44 uncompressed is even better but there's also 24/96 for some stuff, and a bit of 24/192, and you can also go DSD or DSD 2x, but you need 24/384 capability for that, and then there's DXD and DSD 4x..." and they'll look at you like you've lost your head and go back to buying from iTunes.
If there was one, single, accepted "step up" standard, say 24/96, sold at a premium through the standard channels, we might get somewhere. But with so many different variations, it's not going to happen. DSD and its variants just compound the problem.
Sorry, yes, back on topic. Looking forward to bringing Ragnarok to RMAF!post #560 of 92908/28/13 at 1:18pmpost #561 of 92908/28/13 at 1:29pmpost #562 of 92908/28/13 at 11:56pm
Correct me If im Wrong but as far as i know, while there are higher than 24/96 decoders, there are no higher than 24/96 encoders. So every song that is recorded in a Studio has that cap for its real quality (im guessing electronic music could go higher in this case).
I remmber reading something about it while randomly googling stuff about music.
What im trying to say is that i Guess there is a limit to how "good" things can actually sound, based on the encoding/compression.
Frankly, anything over 160 kbps mp3 is quite good for me, as long as its a good quality recording.post #563 of 92908/29/13 at 3:32ampost #564 of 92909/26/13 at 2:20ampost #565 of 92909/27/13 at 5:45amQuote:
192kHz is the highest sampling rate supported by Pro Tools, the industry leading software. There are all sorts of arguments that 24/96 is ideal and 192 actually degrades audio performance but let's stay on topic The point is, I"m sure the statement Schiit will support any need.
Edited by azteca x - 9/27/13 at 5:46ampost #566 of 92909/28/13 at 8:39pmpost #567 of 92909/28/13 at 9:00pmQuote:
you're not the only one... i wonder which other dac is schiit working on...post #568 of 92909/28/13 at 9:19pmpost #569 of 92909/29/13 at 12:23pmpost #570 of 92909/29/13 at 12:30pmQuote:
I think he's referring to things like the Loki, not necessarily big amps like the Rag or Mjolnir
- New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 19 seconds ago
- › I can't decide between the SMSL SD793-II and the FIIO E10K 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 6 minutes ago
- › Kumitate (くみたて) Lab: A Triumph and Celebration of DIY - Impressions... 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 7 minutes ago
- › Anything have more soundstage than a Q701? 7 minutes ago
- › LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ? 8 minutes ago
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by pkshiu
- › iBasso IT03 by sonickarma
- › Jomo Audio Samba Pro CIEM by sonickarma
- › Elephone Whisper by mark2410
- › OPPO PM-1 by maxh22
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by rebbi
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA MA750i by High-End-Addict
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by HiFiChris
- › 64 Audio U10 by Brooko
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...