or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 152

post #2266 of 9301

I was expecting this kind of response. :cool:

post #2267 of 9301

To elaborate a little bit more:

 

1. The opportunity in lower priced gear is much, much, much higher than the ultra high-end--at least 5x higher for each halving of the price--in total sales, not units. We don't want to address the 400 people a year who will consider products with 5-figure price tags. That's not us.

 

2. We don't have a problem building some walls around what we do, and staying focused. To wit:

 

a. You won't see a surround processor from us, for licensing and ongoing changes in the HDMI standard. That's for other people.

b. You won't see an electrostatic amp from us, for liability (high voltage) and political reasons.

c. You won't see transducers from us (headphones and speakers) because we have no expertise in that field.

 

3. There are other products that we need to have a unique spin on, one that really contributes to the overall market, before we introduce them. This could include speaker amps, preamps, etc--more conventional 2-channel products. I'm not saying you won't see them, we just don't want to do "just another speaker amp."

 

What you will see from us is more fun, high-value, interesting and groundbreaking stuff at affordable price points. And yes, there'll be some surprises in where we go and what we do.

 

That's what we're about. That's what we love to do. And there's a ton of opportunity there.

post #2268 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by seb7 View Post


I can definitely wait because there is nothing out there like it for the price. Go ahead and buy another dac if you can't wait. As for me (and probably quite a few like me), I don't think schiit has to worry about us moving on.

A big +1!
post #2269 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

 

a. You won't see a surround processor from us, for licensing and ongoing changes in the HDMI standard. That's for other people.

 

 

That's a bit disappointing yet understandable. Too bad the surround audio in general is supposed to be so much better than traditional 2-channel audio.

 

But with ever-decreasing size of homes people will get in future (prime reason headphones are on rise) and ever-increasing price of high-end audio equipment in general sucked out any remaining potential the surround audio had.

post #2270 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post


c. You won't see transducers from us (headphones and speakers) because we have no expertise in that field.

Damn it. And I was holding my breath to buy a pair of Schiit Cans. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Jones Bob - 6/23/14 at 10:47am
post #2271 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot View Post

I really like the look of the ping-pong ball knob on the Vega, but at twice the price of the Yggy, no thanks.

Buy this for $44.50 to set on your stereo rack, and wait for the Yiggy. It has two ping-pong ball knobs. One more than the Vega.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BZ3207P-Full-Aluminum-Enclosure-chassis-preamp-case-Power-amp-box-/400523705862?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item5d4112be06
post #2272 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

 

I was talking about Ragnarok. We have not set a firm release date for Yggdrasil.

 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if the timeline and feature set do not work for you, or you find our delays or other business practices unacceptable, there are plenty of other products out there.

 

Have fun, and I hope you find a product that meets your needs perfectly!

 

Ha!  And I don't expect to be buying a Yggy much before the end of this year/ first quarter next year, considering the backlog of existing DACs I have at home. :wink:

 

Does this meet your sales projection timeline?

 

As for feature set, if you tell me that the subsequent Yggy Mk2 will have a LVDS I2S input, I'm there.

post #2273 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

To elaborate a little bit more:

 

1. The opportunity in lower priced gear is much, much, much higher than the ultra high-end--at least 5x higher for each halving of the price--in total sales, not units. We don't want to address the 400 people a year who will consider products with 5-figure price tags. That's not us.

 

2. We don't have a problem building some walls around what we do, and staying focused. To wit:

 

a. You won't see a surround processor from us, for licensing and ongoing changes in the HDMI standard. That's for other people.

b. You won't see an electrostatic amp from us, for liability (high voltage) and political reasons.

c. You won't see transducers from us (headphones and speakers) because we have no expertise in that field.

 

3. There are other products that we need to have a unique spin on, one that really contributes to the overall market, before we introduce them. This could include speaker amps, preamps, etc--more conventional 2-channel products. I'm not saying you won't see them, we just don't want to do "just another speaker amp."

 

What you will see from us is more fun, high-value, interesting and groundbreaking stuff at affordable price points. And yes, there'll be some surprises in where we go and what we do.

 

That's what we're about. That's what we love to do. And there's a ton of opportunity there.

 

Kudos to you! I really think you got it nailed and believe in your way of thinking in 10000%

 

What I would like to see though is probably going to be a product line that's higher-tier than Modi/Magni that can compete with products like Geek Pulse at a reasonable price, if possible, DSD/DXD included.

 

Also I believe you might want to enter the Analog market at some point.

 

Still looking forward to the Ragnarok.

 

Edit: Regarding Auralic Vega, it's an absolutely amazing DAC, if you have it, you would understand how much of an impact a DAC can have (And that's saying a lot).

But perhaps Yggdrasil could give as much sound quality for being a bit perfect DAC, the problem is the lack of DSD/DXD support, mainly, otherwise, I would have waited for it. But I'm really not feeling buyers remorse and like I said previously, I'd love to make even a DBT with Vega and Yggdrasil, maybe even add the Yggdrasil later for perhaps a different system (say for a stereo system).


Edited by XVampireX - 6/23/14 at 11:07am
post #2274 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacal01 View Post
 

 

Ha!  And I don't expect to be buying a Yggy much before the end of this year/ first quarter next year, considering the backlog of existing DACs I have at home. :wink:

 

Does this meet your sales projection timeline?

 

As for feature set, if you tell me that the subsequent Yggy Mk2 will have a LVDS I2S input, I'm there.

 

Yggy will probably be much sooner, but until we have it booting reliably, I can't say when. I expect you'll see it at the August show in SoCal, with shipping soon thereafter, at this point.

post #2275 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post

Yggy will probably be much sooner, but until we have it booting reliably, I can't say when. I expect you'll see it at the August show in SoCal, with shipping soon thereafter, at this point.

Thanks Jason. Looking forward to buy, but only as soon as it is ready.
post #2276 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post

 

There will be nothing above Ragnarok and Yggdrasil. Period.

 

 

Nice, but this does not preclude a Ragnarok 2 ;) 

post #2277 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVampireX View Post

 

What I would like to see though is probably going to be a product line that's higher-tier than Modi/Magni that can compete with products like Geek Pulse at a reasonable price, if possible, DSD/DXD included.

 

 

We consider DSD a non-issue at this point. Last year, about 1/2 the inquiries at Newport revolved around "when will you support DSD?" This year, we had a total of one inquiry (1). Also, the sales of our DACs have not slowed due to lack of DSD support. So, unless DSD gains significant traction, I don't think we're going to bother with "the HDCD of today."

 

Now, if DSD does gain significant traction, then yes, we will introduce a seamless box that does DSD and allows you to use any PCM DAC with it (unlike today's Loki, which requires manual switching.) But we are not fans of DSD and PCM sharing the same filter design and output stage. Nor will Yggy ever be able to do DSD, no way, no how.

post #2278 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

b. You won't see an electrostatic amp from us, for liability (high voltage) and political reasons.

 

The Ragnarok actually removes most of the need: Ragnarok owners can probably add electrostatic support with the Woo WEE using the Ragnarok's speaker terminals.

post #2279 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

 

We consider DSD a non-issue at this point. Last year, about 1/2 the inquiries at Newport revolved around "when will you support DSD?" This year, we had a total of one inquiry (1). Also, the sales of our DACs have not slowed due to lack of DSD support. So, unless DSD gains significant traction, I don't think we're going to bother with "the HDCD of today."

 

Now, if DSD does gain significant traction, then yes, we will introduce a seamless box that does DSD and allows you to use any PCM DAC with it (unlike today's Loki, which requires manual switching.) But we are not fans of DSD and PCM sharing the same filter design and output stage. Nor will Yggy ever be able to do DSD, no way, no how.

 

And that's why I have the Auralic Vega (Because I absolutely like having the benefit of having support for everything, even though I don't have support for DSD256... which sounds silly because content in DSD64 is really the only thing we have atm with some labels like NativeDSD doing DSD128 too..) ;)

But I was mentioning this DSD support for other reasons (Business)

 

So what do you say, can we get some specs soon? :P

post #2280 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVampireX View Post
So what do you say, can we get some specs soon? :P

 

When the products are released, they'll have full specs. Which will pretty much have nothing to do with the way they sound.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil