I sure hope this can drive HE-6's well. I can cancel around $4000 off my budget if it does, and I REALLY hope it does.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Head Fi's Favourite Amp for the Audeze LCD 2: $200-$1000 [POLL] Last post on 5/12/14 at 2:23am in High-end Audio Forum
- Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up Last post on Yesterday at 6:06 pm in Jason Stoddard
- Toys for Boys Last post on 9/8/14 at 4:16pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Influence of cold/analytic DAC/AMP on warm sounding cans Last post on 5/6/14 at 12:05am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Should I ditch my Creative X-Fi? Last post on 3/8/14 at 11:49am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 16
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
You don't need a 4k amp to drive the HE-6 properly.
Like this cheap.
Pretty sure that would be an amazing option for the he-6s, or you can always go find a used Firstwatt amp, i know from experience that the F1/J works very well and theres plenty of impressions of people using the others ones to general acclaim as well.
Yea it was sitting there for over 2 weeks, a pair of legendary ML2 monos for only $500. I thought about snagging it.
I had a pair of those levinson monoblocks for a short while driving the quad esl56's. Great amps.
Room heaters too. If you look at the schematics you might notice how little has changed in the
last 35 years. A bit silly for headphone amps, and due to possible grounding issues, you might
want to wire them as 4 wire, but should work just great. Balance input too. At 120 lbs for the pair
this is my style of overkill. Not really as much power as you might think, rated at 18 watts rms of
pure class A per channel, typically about 25 watts into 8 ohms, so just about right for he6.
But if the input section ever blows up, the jfets are impossible to replace these days.
Edited by kevin gilmore - 6/28/13 at 5:00pm
That's the wonderful thing about tube amps, I bet 50 years from now they would still be found. I have some CBS 12AX7 made in the late 50's in my tube amp sounding wonderful.
obviously theres no way to tell now without hearing it, but do you suspect the amp will carry the same signature of the mjolnir? i find the mj too precise and dry at times, causing some fatigue. i wonder if the new amp will give the existing design a hint of warmth and a more full bodied sound.
I think the larger fets running at higher currents and voltages will give a more relaxed and less forced sound signature.
Should be lots of fun.
I would definitely run an 845 at at least 800 volts!
Edited by kevin gilmore - 6/29/13 at 4:29pm
Perhaps I missed it being said, but I can't help wondering if these two new gizmos are really the "Statement" equipment that keeps getting mentioned. Has anyone considered that these new models really aren't the "Statement" folks seem to be waiting for, but another intermediate model?
- New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › Receivers/Integrated/Transports with BEST headphone jack? 2 minutes ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Switcher, selector, splitter, or whatchamacallit? 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 7 minutes ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 9 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 12 minutes ago
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)