or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 144

post #2146 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWaj10 View Post
 

^^ Seriously, plus some of what his posts say....something disturbing is going on with that fellow.

I hope you aren't claiming YOU'VE never had relations with a goat ... c'mon ... we are all just people here. How could any of us resist those doe eyes and the soft tongue?  PS. I should at least mention that the Ragnorok is huge ... so we start competing with "speaker amps" here, and mine are single ended 300b monoblocks - knowing Schiit, it will all work out - the real estate will be justified even if you don't use speakers ... but what about that goat, huh ?

post #2147 of 9301

What will be the best way to use the HE-6 with the Ragg - headphone out or speaker taps?  Or does the amp deliver the same amout of power to both?

post #2148 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

Yes.

Cool. :ph34r:


Edited by Pidgeon - 6/12/14 at 10:23am
post #2149 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHamster View Post
 

I hope you aren't claiming YOU'VE never had relations with a goat ... c'mon ... we are all just people here. How could any of us resist those doe eyes and the soft tongue?  PS. I should at least mention that the Ragnorok is huge ... so we start competing with "speaker amps" here, and mine are single ended 300b monoblocks - knowing Schiit, it will all work out - the real estate will be justified even if you don't use speakers ... but what about that goat, huh ?

 

...can't say that I have, no.

post #2150 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

What will be the best way to use the HE-6 with the Ragg - headphone out or speaker taps?  Or does the amp deliver the same amout of power to both?

 

They're exactly the same.

post #2151 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

Hmmmmmm....

 

Yes, please, please! :L3000:

post #2152 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

NOS has SIGNIFICANT technical problems relating to high-order analog filters.

 

Very true. NOS is a fundamentally flawed approach. And my experience with it has confirmed it for me.

post #2153 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady65 View Post
 

Very true. NOS is a fundamentally flawed approach. And my experience with it has confirmed it for me.

 

And I thought my Bifrost was a good DAC. :(

post #2154 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHamster View Post
 

Cool - do you mind answering my lengthy question? Is "R2R" the new nomenclature for "Multibit", or is this a new thing ... this is not me pretending to be dumb and setting someone up for a trap. I have genuinely not done any research on DACS for MANY years ... they now seem to be all "sigma-delta" ... but I have always had a multi-bit" (or I think they used to call it a "ladder" DAC). I have heard GREAT 1 bit SACD, but that old crappy Naim CD player from so long ago really HAD something ... I am hoping that "R2R" is just the new way of saying "This is OLD and GOLD a multi-bit bacchanalian orgy of dynamics". 

R2R and Multibit are effectively the same thing....

post #2155 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

And I thought my Bifrost was a good DAC. :(

 

Huh? your Bifrost is not a NOS Dac, but rather a pretty standard Delta-Sigma design...

post #2156 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady65 View Post

 

Huh? your Bifrost is not a NOS Dac, but rather a pretty standard Delta-Sigma design...

 

I guess I'm confused. I thought NOS was non-oversampling. But the one used in Bifrost is still doing some sort of oversampling as part of digital filtering?

 

Still marketed as a bit-perfect DAC, though.


Edited by madwolfa - 6/12/14 at 1:45pm
post #2157 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

I guess I'm confused. I thought NOS is non-oversampling. But the one used in Bifrost is still doing some sort of oversampling as part of digital filtering?

 

Still marketed as a bit-perfect DAC, though.

 

NOS operation is fundamentally impossible with Delta-Sigma Dacs. They rely on massive Oversampling ratios in order to achieve practical resolution, be it 18, 20 or even 24 bit. Without it, they would have essentially no resolution, specially so in the case of pure 1-bit Dacs, although these are no longer produced or employed, and for good reason!

post #2158 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

 

 

This is what Mike has really been working towards on the DAC side--a truly bitperfect DAC, from input to output, without having to go non-oversampling (NOS.) 

When will you or Mike touch more on all this? Closed-form bitpefect digital filter, working in god's domain, the D/A conversion. . .

post #2159 of 9301

I think there's a confusion with the word "oversampling" here (and it's pretty widespread). Bifrost is non-oversampling in terms of the input signal (let's say, 44.1 -> 192),

but it still does the digital filter oversampling (like 8x), as part of delta-sigma design. So marketing any delta-sigma DAC "bit-perfect" is a bit misleading...


Edited by madwolfa - 6/12/14 at 1:55pm
post #2160 of 9301
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

I guess I'm confused. I thought NOS was non-oversampling. But the one used in Bifrost is still doing some sort of oversampling as part of digital filtering?

 

Still marketed as a bit-perfect DAC, though.

 

Being Bit-perfect has nothing to do with whether the DAC is NOS (Multibit) or not, but rather, as Schiit themselves explain here, dependent on the Clocking Scheme employed:

 

Advanced Bitperfect Clock Management

Most DACs in this price range sacrifice every single one of your original music samples to get their 192kHz spec. Every input is routed through a sample rate converter and upsampled to 24/192. Bifrost dispenses with the sample rate converter and uses a sophisticated master clock management system to deliver bit-perfect data to the DAC, preserving all the original samples--whether it's 16/44.1 or 24/192
.

 

Do not confuse Oversampling with Upsampling! The latter is optional, the former is NOT, at least in the case of Delta-Sigma Dacs.


Edited by rocksteady65 - 6/12/14 at 1:57pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil