A remote is worth the extra 100-200$ and is not a bell or a whistle. :P
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread Last post on Today at 12:44 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil? Last post on 10/2/15 at 12:42pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise Last post on 5/20/15 at 11:44am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Magni2 Uber/Modi2 Uber vs Vali/Loki Last post on 7/18/15 at 4:05pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Happens.....A Lesson In Customer Service. Last post on 5/15/15 at 8:01am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 6/26/15
Many thanks to Venture Electronics for the VE Monk review sample! Product website: http://eng.52ve.cn/product.php?cm_id=205 I haven't been using earbud for quite a long time since my...
INTRODUCTION: The Havit H91DJ is a budget over-ear headphone with a warm signature. Sound quality is very impressive considering the low cost. The value of these headphones is quite high,...
Intro: SoundFoundations, is a company which manufactures accessories like racks, stands, and vibration control & custom cables. It is based in India. SoundFoundations is known in India for...
Introduction I would like to start this review off by saying thank you to the folks at Pro-Ject Audio systems for lending me a pair of their brand new Hear-it-One headphones....
Preamble: Before I start with my review, I’d like to thank Vivian from DUNU-Topsound for providing me with a sample of the DN-2000J for my evaluation. My review reflects my actual honest opinion...
New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 86post #1276 of 88133/26/14 at 1:49am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1277 of 88133/26/14 at 3:00am
For a desktop amp, a remote is most certainly a useless and worthless feature. Whether or not the Ragnarok is a desktop amp is what you're essentially debating here. To me, headphone amps should be desktop amps, and therefore I regard the Ragnarok as a desktop amp. Sure, more or less the biggest of them all...
For the Yggdrasil, if used with the Ragnarok or Mjolnir it is certainly out of its scope to have a volume control or a remote. But if this will be as high-performing a DAC as it seems, it will most certainly be used in stereo systems that not reside on a desktop as well. And then a remote certainly makes sense. Actually, for the Yggdrasil my stance is that even a volume control would make sense. (If nothing else because my Mjolnir has too high gain for my Denons ;) )post #1278 of 88133/26/14 at 3:36ampost #1279 of 88133/26/14 at 5:09am
WIth my current setup I don't think I could live without a remote - I use a rack and the headphone amplifier ends up on the bottom shelf with the source on the top shelf. Desks get pretty crowded when using flagship components, add in a USB transport, cabling headaches, and a rack soon becomes a necessity. For speaker guys I'm pretty sure a remote is essential. There are surely costs, delays etc with certification. IMO if you have good quality relay based volume control you want to use that rather than DAC or software volume control.post #1280 of 88133/26/14 at 5:26amQuote:Originally Posted by estreeter
It's the R500, but the 700/900 models seem to justify the increase in price via a larger enclosure and correspondingly heftier bass response : AFAIK, they have the same driver array.
Curiously for mine, KEF seems intent on targeting the smaller model floorstander at the HT crowd, where the R-series has reportedly been well received - if this review is anything to go by, there is a lot more to the R500 than most Blu-Ray soundtracks would hope to reveal :
I understand that many with larger rooms will rush straight for larger speakers, but I will have the opposite problem to contend with and its very easy to overpower a smaller room.
cool, i was actually listening to those all day yesterday in my friends house. He has a lovely clear audio concept turntable. I have to say though - i do prefer my WA2/HD800post #1281 of 88133/26/14 at 9:14ampost #1282 of 88133/26/14 at 10:02amQuote:
Why does a DAC need to go throught FCC approval that an amp doesn't?post #1283 of 88133/26/14 at 10:11amQuote:
My guess is that the DAC could give out some RF noise due to higher frequency that some DAC's run at.post #1284 of 88133/26/14 at 10:14amQuote:
I can't really see how getting FCC approval for an off the shelf remote can be much of burden. It's not going to be a Schiit remove, you can, I assume, just buy implementations from Tawain. May be the 'made in USA' hurdle?post #1285 of 88133/26/14 at 10:22ampost #1286 of 88133/26/14 at 10:38ampost #1287 of 88133/26/14 at 10:50am
I have an iMac/CD transport in my study that feeds my Mytek/WA22/HD800. When I'm reviewing music on the Mac, I don't always want to have the headphones on so I also have a pair of Quad 21L speakers in the room. The ability of the Rag to handle both chores is why I will purchase ASAP.
I think my application is a good example of the target demographic - a world-class desktop headphone amplifier that can also power my speakers. If we add too much more to the product, it becomes more expensive and loses focus - and its appeal for my application.
If, for some, a priority application is room speaker amplification, and a remote is needed, there is always the option of buying a preamp/dac with a remote.
While all manufacturers appreciate client input, I think one of the reasons Jason doesn't jump into these kinds of conversations is to ensure they are designing by application and not by committee.
Edited by tomlink - 3/26/14 at 1:27pmpost #1288 of 88133/26/14 at 11:29ampost #1289 of 88133/26/14 at 11:45ampost #1290 of 88133/26/14 at 12:34pm
I have, but it had nothing to do with audio...
- New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Review: RIVA Turbo X High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth... 57 seconds ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-ZX100 DAP 58 seconds ago
- › 2015 CanJam @ RMAF Impressions thread - (October 2-4, 2015) 1 minute ago
- › Focal Sphear earphones 1 minute ago
- › S.O.S. (Save on Schiit) 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 2 minutes ago
- › xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED! 3 minutes ago
- › Warm, lush sounding headphones 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 4 minutes ago
- › A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun 4 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › SoundFoundations Barracuda PowerMax Elite by YoYo JoKeR
- › Pro-Ject Audio - Hear it One - Audiophile stereo headphone - Black by ForShure
- › DUNU DN-2000J by HiFiChris
- › MEElectronics A151 2nd Generation by HiFiChris
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by hakushondaimao
- › Creative T4W 2.1 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System by BloodyPenguin
- › G430 Gaming Headset by themastercheif
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by themastercheif
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2