A remote is worth the extra 100-200$ and is not a bell or a whistle. :P
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread Last post on Today at 2:27 am in High-end Audio Forum
- Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil? Last post on 6/4/15 at 6:38am in High-end Audio Forum
- Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise Last post on 5/20/15 at 11:44am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Magni2 Uber/Modi2 Uber vs Vali/Loki Last post on 7/18/15 at 4:05pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Happens.....A Lesson In Customer Service. Last post on 5/15/15 at 8:01am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 6/26/15
Introduction So a little a bit myself, I am a semi-audiophile. It means that I listen to "normal" song and audiophile song kind of 50:50. During my commute to work I listen to "normal" song such...
Thank You's and Sorries A big thank David Maudlin for sending me the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio to me back in late May and I apologise that it's taken me 3 months to put something up about...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Jive you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated with...
Name- DUNU TITAN 1 Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company. Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore. Description- First, some note about me. I am a 25...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 86post #1276 of 87153/26/14 at 1:49am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1277 of 87153/26/14 at 3:00am
For a desktop amp, a remote is most certainly a useless and worthless feature. Whether or not the Ragnarok is a desktop amp is what you're essentially debating here. To me, headphone amps should be desktop amps, and therefore I regard the Ragnarok as a desktop amp. Sure, more or less the biggest of them all...
For the Yggdrasil, if used with the Ragnarok or Mjolnir it is certainly out of its scope to have a volume control or a remote. But if this will be as high-performing a DAC as it seems, it will most certainly be used in stereo systems that not reside on a desktop as well. And then a remote certainly makes sense. Actually, for the Yggdrasil my stance is that even a volume control would make sense. (If nothing else because my Mjolnir has too high gain for my Denons ;) )post #1278 of 87153/26/14 at 3:36ampost #1279 of 87153/26/14 at 5:09am
WIth my current setup I don't think I could live without a remote - I use a rack and the headphone amplifier ends up on the bottom shelf with the source on the top shelf. Desks get pretty crowded when using flagship components, add in a USB transport, cabling headaches, and a rack soon becomes a necessity. For speaker guys I'm pretty sure a remote is essential. There are surely costs, delays etc with certification. IMO if you have good quality relay based volume control you want to use that rather than DAC or software volume control.post #1280 of 87153/26/14 at 5:26amQuote:Originally Posted by estreeter
It's the R500, but the 700/900 models seem to justify the increase in price via a larger enclosure and correspondingly heftier bass response : AFAIK, they have the same driver array.
Curiously for mine, KEF seems intent on targeting the smaller model floorstander at the HT crowd, where the R-series has reportedly been well received - if this review is anything to go by, there is a lot more to the R500 than most Blu-Ray soundtracks would hope to reveal :
I understand that many with larger rooms will rush straight for larger speakers, but I will have the opposite problem to contend with and its very easy to overpower a smaller room.
cool, i was actually listening to those all day yesterday in my friends house. He has a lovely clear audio concept turntable. I have to say though - i do prefer my WA2/HD800post #1281 of 87153/26/14 at 9:14ampost #1282 of 87153/26/14 at 10:02amQuote:
Why does a DAC need to go throught FCC approval that an amp doesn't?post #1283 of 87153/26/14 at 10:11amQuote:
My guess is that the DAC could give out some RF noise due to higher frequency that some DAC's run at.post #1284 of 87153/26/14 at 10:14amQuote:
I can't really see how getting FCC approval for an off the shelf remote can be much of burden. It's not going to be a Schiit remove, you can, I assume, just buy implementations from Tawain. May be the 'made in USA' hurdle?post #1285 of 87153/26/14 at 10:22ampost #1286 of 87153/26/14 at 10:38ampost #1287 of 87153/26/14 at 10:50am
I have an iMac/CD transport in my study that feeds my Mytek/WA22/HD800. When I'm reviewing music on the Mac, I don't always want to have the headphones on so I also have a pair of Quad 21L speakers in the room. The ability of the Rag to handle both chores is why I will purchase ASAP.
I think my application is a good example of the target demographic - a world-class desktop headphone amplifier that can also power my speakers. If we add too much more to the product, it becomes more expensive and loses focus - and its appeal for my application.
If, for some, a priority application is room speaker amplification, and a remote is needed, there is always the option of buying a preamp/dac with a remote.
While all manufacturers appreciate client input, I think one of the reasons Jason doesn't jump into these kinds of conversations is to ensure they are designing by application and not by committee.
Edited by tomlink - 3/26/14 at 1:27pmpost #1288 of 87153/26/14 at 11:29ampost #1289 of 87153/26/14 at 11:45ampost #1290 of 87153/26/14 at 12:34pm
I have, but it had nothing to do with audio...
- New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 24 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Impressions Thread! August 29-30, 2015! 1 minute ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 minute ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 4 minutes ago
- › AKG - K701 vs. Q701 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Wanted - Schiit Fulla or Fiio E10K or something very similar. 5 minutes ago
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio Portable Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier by AnakChan
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2