A remote is worth the extra 100-200$ and is not a bell or a whistle. :P
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread Last post on Today at 8:45 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil? Last post on 12/4/15 at 10:14am in High-end Audio Forum
- Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise Last post on 5/20/15 at 11:44am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Magni2 Uber/Modi2 Uber vs Vali/Loki Last post on 7/18/15 at 4:05pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Happens.....A Lesson In Customer Service. Last post on 12/8/15 at 2:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/30/15
Looks: 10 These look really good and matured in design. The carbon fiber earcups especially (when not covered in fingerprints) Can't go wrong with all black. What concerns me a little is how long...
I'm using this cable with my SMSL SD793-ii because its only option for a computer is its optical output. It does its job and for $8/6ft its worth it for sure. Overall just gives the user great...
-Introduction- HifiMe is a company that specializes in building bare-bones DAC with no frills, focusing entirely on price-to-performance ratios. That’s a good thing for audiophiles on a budget,...
-Introduction- It’s not often I have the chance to review products as high-end as the ZMF x Vibro MK II. I approached Zach in July, and asked for a loaner unit. One wasn’t readily available...
Firstly, many thanks to iFi for the loan of this amp. I am not affiliated with iFi, just a regular Head-Fi addict to happens to be lucky enough to get loan units now and again from the generous iFi...
New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 86post #1276 of 92803/26/14 at 1:49am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1277 of 92803/26/14 at 3:00am
For a desktop amp, a remote is most certainly a useless and worthless feature. Whether or not the Ragnarok is a desktop amp is what you're essentially debating here. To me, headphone amps should be desktop amps, and therefore I regard the Ragnarok as a desktop amp. Sure, more or less the biggest of them all...
For the Yggdrasil, if used with the Ragnarok or Mjolnir it is certainly out of its scope to have a volume control or a remote. But if this will be as high-performing a DAC as it seems, it will most certainly be used in stereo systems that not reside on a desktop as well. And then a remote certainly makes sense. Actually, for the Yggdrasil my stance is that even a volume control would make sense. (If nothing else because my Mjolnir has too high gain for my Denons ;) )post #1278 of 92803/26/14 at 3:36ampost #1279 of 92803/26/14 at 5:09am
WIth my current setup I don't think I could live without a remote - I use a rack and the headphone amplifier ends up on the bottom shelf with the source on the top shelf. Desks get pretty crowded when using flagship components, add in a USB transport, cabling headaches, and a rack soon becomes a necessity. For speaker guys I'm pretty sure a remote is essential. There are surely costs, delays etc with certification. IMO if you have good quality relay based volume control you want to use that rather than DAC or software volume control.post #1280 of 92803/26/14 at 5:26amQuote:Originally Posted by estreeter
It's the R500, but the 700/900 models seem to justify the increase in price via a larger enclosure and correspondingly heftier bass response : AFAIK, they have the same driver array.
Curiously for mine, KEF seems intent on targeting the smaller model floorstander at the HT crowd, where the R-series has reportedly been well received - if this review is anything to go by, there is a lot more to the R500 than most Blu-Ray soundtracks would hope to reveal :
I understand that many with larger rooms will rush straight for larger speakers, but I will have the opposite problem to contend with and its very easy to overpower a smaller room.
cool, i was actually listening to those all day yesterday in my friends house. He has a lovely clear audio concept turntable. I have to say though - i do prefer my WA2/HD800post #1281 of 92803/26/14 at 9:14ampost #1282 of 92803/26/14 at 10:02amQuote:
Why does a DAC need to go throught FCC approval that an amp doesn't?post #1283 of 92803/26/14 at 10:11amQuote:
My guess is that the DAC could give out some RF noise due to higher frequency that some DAC's run at.post #1284 of 92803/26/14 at 10:14amQuote:
I can't really see how getting FCC approval for an off the shelf remote can be much of burden. It's not going to be a Schiit remove, you can, I assume, just buy implementations from Tawain. May be the 'made in USA' hurdle?post #1285 of 92803/26/14 at 10:22ampost #1286 of 92803/26/14 at 10:38ampost #1287 of 92803/26/14 at 10:50am
I have an iMac/CD transport in my study that feeds my Mytek/WA22/HD800. When I'm reviewing music on the Mac, I don't always want to have the headphones on so I also have a pair of Quad 21L speakers in the room. The ability of the Rag to handle both chores is why I will purchase ASAP.
I think my application is a good example of the target demographic - a world-class desktop headphone amplifier that can also power my speakers. If we add too much more to the product, it becomes more expensive and loses focus - and its appeal for my application.
If, for some, a priority application is room speaker amplification, and a remote is needed, there is always the option of buying a preamp/dac with a remote.
While all manufacturers appreciate client input, I think one of the reasons Jason doesn't jump into these kinds of conversations is to ensure they are designing by application and not by committee.
Edited by tomlink - 3/26/14 at 1:27pmpost #1288 of 92803/26/14 at 11:29ampost #1289 of 92803/26/14 at 11:45ampost #1290 of 92803/26/14 at 12:34pm
I have, but it had nothing to do with audio...
- New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 5 minutes ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 8 minutes ago
- › Looking for inexpensive replacement cable for Focal Elear ??? 9 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 10 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 11 minutes ago
- › The Opamp thread 13 minutes ago
- › Chesky Vocalists Comparison: Rebecca Pidgeon & Christy Baron 16 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 by cleg
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C by Delayeed
- › Cable Matters Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with... by Gabeh765
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by Cinder
- › ZMF Headphones x Vibro MK II by Cinder
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Turrican2
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Bloos
- › Arcam rHead - Discrete True-linear Class-A Analogue Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Cayin iHA-6 by Dillan
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by Dillan
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...