A remote is worth the extra 100-200$ and is not a bell or a whistle. :P
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:32 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil? Last post on 12/4/15 at 10:14am in High-end Audio Forum
- Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise Last post on 5/20/15 at 11:44am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Magni2 Uber/Modi2 Uber vs Vali/Loki Last post on 7/18/15 at 4:05pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Happens.....A Lesson In Customer Service. Last post on 12/8/15 at 2:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/30/15
I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion. The manufacturer...
Purchase link:http://www.aliexpress.com/item/TC200/32633785024.html I was a strong believer that the more expensive the headphones are the better they sound. After hearing Earbell (or Mrice) E100,...
I didn't realize there was already VE Monk Plus (+) in review database, so I moved my review over to: http://www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-monk-monk-plus/reviews/15923
Most people hate this headphone because of annoying treble spike and low mid treble but if just need to tweek EQ to see its potential.
overall great headphone at its price.
New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil - Page 86post #1276 of 91733/26/14 at 1:49am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1277 of 91733/26/14 at 3:00am
For a desktop amp, a remote is most certainly a useless and worthless feature. Whether or not the Ragnarok is a desktop amp is what you're essentially debating here. To me, headphone amps should be desktop amps, and therefore I regard the Ragnarok as a desktop amp. Sure, more or less the biggest of them all...
For the Yggdrasil, if used with the Ragnarok or Mjolnir it is certainly out of its scope to have a volume control or a remote. But if this will be as high-performing a DAC as it seems, it will most certainly be used in stereo systems that not reside on a desktop as well. And then a remote certainly makes sense. Actually, for the Yggdrasil my stance is that even a volume control would make sense. (If nothing else because my Mjolnir has too high gain for my Denons ;) )post #1278 of 91733/26/14 at 3:36ampost #1279 of 91733/26/14 at 5:09am
WIth my current setup I don't think I could live without a remote - I use a rack and the headphone amplifier ends up on the bottom shelf with the source on the top shelf. Desks get pretty crowded when using flagship components, add in a USB transport, cabling headaches, and a rack soon becomes a necessity. For speaker guys I'm pretty sure a remote is essential. There are surely costs, delays etc with certification. IMO if you have good quality relay based volume control you want to use that rather than DAC or software volume control.post #1280 of 91733/26/14 at 5:26amQuote:Originally Posted by estreeter
It's the R500, but the 700/900 models seem to justify the increase in price via a larger enclosure and correspondingly heftier bass response : AFAIK, they have the same driver array.
Curiously for mine, KEF seems intent on targeting the smaller model floorstander at the HT crowd, where the R-series has reportedly been well received - if this review is anything to go by, there is a lot more to the R500 than most Blu-Ray soundtracks would hope to reveal :
I understand that many with larger rooms will rush straight for larger speakers, but I will have the opposite problem to contend with and its very easy to overpower a smaller room.
cool, i was actually listening to those all day yesterday in my friends house. He has a lovely clear audio concept turntable. I have to say though - i do prefer my WA2/HD800post #1281 of 91733/26/14 at 9:14ampost #1282 of 91733/26/14 at 10:02amQuote:
Why does a DAC need to go throught FCC approval that an amp doesn't?post #1283 of 91733/26/14 at 10:11amQuote:
My guess is that the DAC could give out some RF noise due to higher frequency that some DAC's run at.post #1284 of 91733/26/14 at 10:14amQuote:
I can't really see how getting FCC approval for an off the shelf remote can be much of burden. It's not going to be a Schiit remove, you can, I assume, just buy implementations from Tawain. May be the 'made in USA' hurdle?post #1285 of 91733/26/14 at 10:22ampost #1286 of 91733/26/14 at 10:38ampost #1287 of 91733/26/14 at 10:50am
I have an iMac/CD transport in my study that feeds my Mytek/WA22/HD800. When I'm reviewing music on the Mac, I don't always want to have the headphones on so I also have a pair of Quad 21L speakers in the room. The ability of the Rag to handle both chores is why I will purchase ASAP.
I think my application is a good example of the target demographic - a world-class desktop headphone amplifier that can also power my speakers. If we add too much more to the product, it becomes more expensive and loses focus - and its appeal for my application.
If, for some, a priority application is room speaker amplification, and a remote is needed, there is always the option of buying a preamp/dac with a remote.
While all manufacturers appreciate client input, I think one of the reasons Jason doesn't jump into these kinds of conversations is to ensure they are designing by application and not by committee.
Edited by tomlink - 3/26/14 at 1:27pmpost #1288 of 91733/26/14 at 11:29ampost #1289 of 91733/26/14 at 11:45ampost #1290 of 91733/26/14 at 12:34pm
I have, but it had nothing to do with audio...
- New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Fiio E18 19 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 41 seconds ago
- › Nuforce HEM Discussion & Impressions 59 seconds ago
- › NEW: Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA IEM 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by twister6
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › Dunu TITAN 3 by mark2410
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by moedawg140
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by Decommo
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse