Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please) - Page 7

Poll Results: What would you buy the XBOX ONE or the PS4?

 
  • 15% (36)
    XBOX ONE
  • 72% (168)
    PS4
  • 12% (29)
    Neither
233 Total Votes  
post #91 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

It's not as small of a population as you think. Many people live in rural areas. Many people travel outside of the country for work. It would have only worked in 20 some countries in the first place since it was region locked, so you're excluding entire nations here. Everyone would be effected by Microsoft's servers going down. Like they are right now.

Show me the users affected by this aren't as small as I think it is and you have legs on this argument. Otherwise, I'm more inclined to believe MS did some homework on it, identified how many people they would truly not be able to make money off of, and still went through with the policy. It got reversed because of the perception, not the reality. So dead issue to me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

I already mentioned a specific example that happened to me personally on how DRM screws people over. It screws people over because of connection problems, faulty bans, and the possibility of hacked accounts. Someone could hack into your account and do something that gets you permanently banned. Goodbye entire library of games.

Doesn't affect me because I have a good connection. Apparently, so does everyone else since they are all online and playing together. I have been banned and kicked more than a couple times for invalid reasons. I've called up support and got reinstated right away. Is it a hassle? Sure, but I see it as necessary to keep the cheats and hacker to a minimum. If you've played game such as COD where they don't enforce it that much vs a game where they do, you'd see it's worth the hassle too. The only people who need to worry about it are the pirates and people who circumvent the policies. So, again, I see this as paranoia vs reality.

post #92 of 895
Quote:
So the military thing, yeah, I've heard it. Are you affected by it?

 

This is America, where everyone walks around shirtless with the flag painted on their chests. This affects all of us patriotic folks a ton.

 

Edit: Ugh your beliefs are horrible...


Edited by daleb - 6/20/13 at 12:00pm
post #93 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

A while back I lost my job and had to cut back on cable, Internet, etc. If that happens again and I had the XBOX One and its DRM, it would be nothing more than a bluray player.

Right now a third of people in my kids don't have reliable or no internet service due to low income and the only solution Microsoft offered was, "buy a XBOX 360".

Some people just don't see the problems that doesn't effect them.

It was an awful comment they made that damaged them terribly. They also made it before they made the announcements, so it's not like they were kicking people when they were down.

 

People without access, yeah, that sucks. It absolutely sucks. It's not like MS decided it, though, to alienate those people. They made that decision because it will contribute to a better gaming experience for everyone within their ecosystem. They just misjudged who was ready to step forward. Again, do you think MS is making these decisions to purposely detract people from their system? No, they're doing it because they think it's what will give them an advantage in the market, will deliver a better experience to their users, and can monetize it.

post #94 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

 

This is America, where everyone walks around shirtless with the flag painted on their chests. This affects all of us patriotic folks a ton.

 

Edit: Ugh your beliefs are horrible...

Oh jeez. You didn't just pull out the "'Merica, hell yeah!" argument, did you? If you're being serious, I will say first that there are other countries than the US the system is being released in and second, there are other people in the US that don't walk around shirtless screaming "America". Probably a pretty fair amount of them too.

post #95 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Show me the users affected by this aren't as small as I think it is and you have legs on this argument. Otherwise, I'm more inclined to believe MS did some homework on it, identified how many people they would truly not be able to make money off of, and still went through with the policy. It got reversed because of the perception, not the reality. So dead issue to me.

 

I'm not about to do the math for you.

 

Take the population of the 20 some countries that support the console. Subtract that from the population of the world. Add on the amount of people who don't have internet in those working countries. The rest is mostly guesswork, but there's still some left from other scenarios I described.

 

 

Quote:

 

Doesn't affect me because I have a good connection. Apparently, so does everyone else since they are all online and playing together. I have been banned and kicked more than a couple times for invalid reasons. I've called up support and got reinstated right away. Is it a hassle? Sure, but I see it as necessary to keep the cheats and hacker to a minimum. If you've played game such as COD where they don't enforce it that much vs a game where they do, you'd see it's worth the hassle too. The only people who need to worry about it are the pirates and people who circumvent the policies. So, again, I see this as paranoia vs reality.

It does effect you. The servers will crash. Kind of self centered point of view either way...

 

And we're not just talking about getting banned from an online game, we're talking about getting your entire library of games getting taken away. Single player and multiplayer. You and me got lucky with support, but not everyone has.

 

It's not paranoia if it's something that has, does, and will continue to happen. It is reality.

post #96 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

It was an awful comment they made that damaged them terribly. They also made it before they made the announcements, so it's not like they were kicking people when they were down.

 

People without access, yeah, that sucks. It absolutely sucks. It's not like MS decided it, though, to alienate those people. They made that decision because it will contribute to a better gaming experience for everyone within their ecosystem. They just misjudged who was ready to step forward. Again, do you think MS is making these decisions to purposely detract people from their system? No, they're doing it because they think it's what will give them an advantage in the market, will deliver a better experience to their users, and can monetize it.

They were likely using the online checks as a way to deliver advertisements. They get a lot more money if users are forced to update ads at least once a day.

 

There are plenty of ways around the 24hr online check while still being able to do what they were planning to do.

post #97 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

I'm not about to do the math for you.

 

Take the population of the 20 some countries that support the console. Subtract that from the population of the world. Add on the amount of people who don't have internet in those working countries. The rest is mostly guesswork, but there's still some left from other scenarios I described.

I don't think you could do the math. That's not a slight towards you, I'm just saying yours and mine and everyone's guess on it is a good as a coat racks. It's all perception.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

It does effect you. The servers will crash. Kind of self centered point of view either way...

 

And we're not just talking about getting banned from an online game, we're talking about getting your entire library of games getting taken away. Single player and multiplayer. You and me got lucky with support, but not everyone has.

 

It's not paranoia if it's something that has, does, and will continue to happen. It is reality.

Servers crash. Such is life. It hasn't affected my gaming experience more than an immesureable fraction of that time. The lifetime bans, I'm sure they happen. I have not a single example of it happening to any friends or co-players where it was completely invalid. Just such a small percentage of these things actually happening in my experience (and I have a pretty damn fair amount), but the internet give everyone such a big voice. The large amount of people who are happy, stay happy. The people who aren't, they rage on the internet.

post #98 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

It was an awful comment they made that damaged them terribly. They also made it before they made the announcements, so it's not like they were kicking people when they were down.

 

People without access, yeah, that sucks. It absolutely sucks. It's not like MS decided it, though, to alienate those people. They made that decision because it will contribute to a better gaming experience for everyone within their ecosystem. They just misjudged who was ready to step forward. Again, do you think MS is making these decisions to purposely detract people from their system? No, they're doing it because they think it's what will give them an advantage in the market, will deliver a better experience to their users, and can monetize it.

No, I never said that was their purpose, to me it was more or an attempt to stop piracy. It's just that they're forcing DRM onto people who don't want it and at the same time making the console useless to people who don't have internet access.

 

I don't see how giving people something they don't want is going to give them an advantage in the market. 


Edited by RoMee - 6/20/13 at 12:23pm
post #99 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

They were likely using the online checks as a way to deliver advertisements. They get a lot more money if users are forced to update ads at least once a day.

 

There are plenty of ways around the 24hr online check while still being able to do what they were planning to do.

Ok, seriously, have you been on PSN or XBL? There are new ads every minute. I'm certain the checkin isn't to deliver advertising. That's already happening a lot on current gen.

post #100 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

No, I never said that was their purpose, to me it was more or an attempt to stop piracy. It's just that they're forcing DRM onto people who don't want it and at the same time making the console useless to people who don't have internet access.

 

I don't see how giving people something they don't want is going to give them an advantage in the market.

Positives and negatives to the argument. Of course I would want less checks, but if it will give me a persistent experience and I'm not a pirate, why do I care? Hell, even if you didn't care about the experience and it was purely about trying to stop pirates, why do you care?

post #101 of 895

Ugh, gotta step away for some meetings right now because I have completely ignored work for several hours. Damn you people for being interesting. Hope no one is taking any of this personally. I'm just a fan of finding understanding and this is a real difficult one for me to side with any of you on.

beerchug.gif

post #102 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Ugh, gotta step away for some meetings right now because I have completely ignored work for several hours. Damn you people for being interesting. Hope no one is taking any of this personally. I'm just a fan of finding understanding and this is a real difficult one for me to side with any of you on.

beerchug.gif


I am taking this very personally evil_smiley.gif

post #103 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Positives and negatives to the argument. Of course I would want less checks, but if it will give me a persistent experience and I'm not a pirate, why do I care? Hell, even if you didn't care about the experience and it was purely about trying to stop pirates, why do you care?

You're a bit shortsighted when it comes to the XBOX One's DRM. Just because it isn't an issue for you don't mean it's not an issue for others.

You need to see things from other people's point of view, you need to see the whole picture. There's really not much left you say if you refuse to do that.


Edited by RoMee - 6/20/13 at 12:44pm
post #104 of 895

Exactly. I know it doesn't affect me, but it affects others, and that's what I care about. Seeing bad things happen to others bothers me.

post #105 of 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

You're a bit shortsighted when it comes to the XBOX One's DRM. Just because it isn't an issue for you don't mean it's not an issue for others.

You need to see things from other people's point of view, you need to see the whole picture. There's really not much left you say if you refuse to do that.

That's not it at all. I'm seeing it. I respect it. I don't really agree with it entirely. I think those views come from some shortsightedness. I think it's it's very egoic and emotional. There is absolutely a group that I feel for because they don't meet the requirements needed for MS to deliver the experience they want to give, but at some point, a company needs to decide who they are going to cater to. MS chose the technology progressive group.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)