or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please) - Page 41

Poll Results: What would you buy the XBOX ONE or the PS4?

 
  • 16% (48)
    XBOX ONE
  • 70% (211)
    PS4
  • 13% (39)
    Neither
298 Total Votes  
post #601 of 1075
I love it when people over analyze things. But if it makes you feel better... you are correct... when it comes to terminology.

But... that doesn't change what I said. Nintendo is a generation behind (for consoles). Deal with the way I use that word. Don't like it? Well... muhuhahahaha
post #602 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
 


No, they're not.  "Generation" is a measurement of time.  You're misusing the word generation.

     Yes, 'generation' does denote a (slightly variable) measurement of time (30-35 years), but the word could also be used to refer to a specific group, be it people or products, made in a particular length of time (like people in the 80s generation, etc.). Moreover, the term 'generation' could also be used to refer to advances in technology, like the mobile generation for instance (the same tech generation we're in). But if you really want to stick to it's core meaning, go ahead. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

I love it when people over analyze things. But if it makes you feel better... you are correct... when it comes to terminology.

But... that doesn't change what I said. Nintendo is a generation behind (for consoles). Deal with the way I use that word. Don't like it? Well... muhuhahahaha

     I think I want to agree. Nintendo is getting really far behind now since the GCN. Sure, the motion controls on the Wii were great, but now everyone else is picking up and making their own (Kinect and PS Move). which is a bad thing. Nintendo's run out of bright ideas, I think; and they need a new battle plan if they're going to keep up in this generation.

 

Also...

post #603 of 1075

I think there is a good chance that this is the last generation of consoles as we know them. Things like mobile computer and steam machines are going to put an end to it.

post #604 of 1075
Not if they're price tags stay at $1000+

The thing about consoles is that they are both affordable and consumer friendly.
post #605 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Not if they're (*their) price tags stay at $1000+

The thing about consoles is that they are both affordable and consumer friendly.

   Still, this gen's consoles are really amping up on pretty much everything, including the price, and IMHO, 400/500 bucks aren't exactly "affordable" in the least. As for being consumer-friedly, I kinda agree with you there. Though PC gaming is pretty complex in most respects (like installation of multi-disc games), it actually makes you learn a thing or two. Still, seeing my mom and lots of other people, the user-friendliness of consoles (as well as handhelds and tablets) give it its own edge.

post #606 of 1075
I was interested in a Steam machine until I saw razer's Project Christine Modular PC.

This is the kind of future I want for PC. It doesn't look cheap though.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/razer-project-christine/4505-3118_7-35834097.html

It will make it a lot more accessible to non-enthusiasts who want to get into PC gaming. Replacing/adding parts is as simple as attaching a USB drive, only bigger. No longer having to go into the back of your desktop, unscrew, ett, and deal with all the other fuss.

Having now owned a gaming laptop, I don't see myself playing console games other than exclusives, due to the constant low prices on PC games, and because I don't play online much anyways.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/8/14 at 11:18pm
post #607 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I was interested in a Steam machine until I saw razer's Project Christine Modular PC.

This is the kind of future I want for PC. It doesn't look cheap though.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/razer-project-christine/4505-3118_7-35834097.html

It will make it a lot more accessible to non-enthusiasts who want to get into PC gaming. Replacing/adding parts is as simple as attaching a USB drive, only bigger. No longer having to go into the back of your desktop, unscrew, ett, and deal with all the other fuss.

Having now owned a gaming laptop, I don't see myself playing console games other than exclusives, due to the constant low prices on PC games, and because I don't play online much anyways.

     To me, I guess that's the main reason why I still play on the PS3 (I find myself playing LBP2 more often than not), but that Project Christine looks mighty interesting, and probably about time a prototype comes out since Phonebloks is essentially the modular smartphone of the future. Hopefully Project Christine might actually be feasible and be implemented.

     But wait...it's by Razer?!

     I don't know why, but Razer seems to be expanding to a lot of stuff beyond PC gaming; they're set on making three new headphones for the mass market, not just of gaming as they used to. But based on their headphone track record, I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't turn out nicely. 

 

http://www.slashgear.com/razer-adaro-headphones-and-earbuds-series-hands-on-07311957/

post #608 of 1075
Headphones are only a smaaaaall part of their business. They make everything from mechanical keyboards, gaming mouses, etc. They are a peripheral company, sort of like Mad Catz, Steelseries, etc, only now expanding a LOT more with their more recent releases of gaming laptops, tablets, and now the possible modular PC.

I know their gaming laptop was well received.
post #609 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Headphones are only a smaaaaall part of their business. They make everything from mechanical keyboards, gaming mouses, etc. They are a peripheral company, sort of like Mad Catz, Steelseries, etc, only now expanding a LOT more with their more recent releases of gaming laptops, tablets, and now the possible modular PC.

I know their gaming laptop was well received.

     I agree. I thought I read somewhere that Razer had some aim to "make things that they want made" or something like that. As for their gaming laptops (Razer Blade and Blade Pro) I honestly  think that they look really gorgeous. Also, Mr. Kjellberg (my favorite YouTuber) uses it, lol. ;) He doesn't market it or anything tho, just sayin'.

post #610 of 1075
I haven't owned any of their products, but the modular PC would definitely pique my interest.
post #611 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I haven't owned any of their products, but the modular PC would definitely pique my interest.

Project Christine will never happen. The concept has lots of problems.

 

The two biggest is price, and product time to market. If you are the kind of person who will buy this, you are also the kind of person who wants the latest tech when it comes out. You don't want to have to wait 3 months for Razor to put the latest video card in a liquid cooled enclosure, and then pay $100 more for it. Especially if you want 4 of them.

post #612 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Not if they're price tags stay at $1000+

The thing about consoles is that they are both affordable and consumer friendly.

Those two things are what Steam Machines are designed to deliver. Alienware's version is $500. The same price as the One. The amount of setup is the same as any other console. 

 

However it is a LOT more affordable in the long run, even with the hardware the same price. The reason is no cost for online play, and you can buy AAA games for next to nothing.

 

The next console launch will be in 5-8 years. I expect a ton of changes in the world over that time. Enough to the point where it might not ever happen.

 

Oh, and let's not forget Sony Now. With just a new Sony TV (and a dual shock controller), you can play high end games in your living room. That might be the answer in 5 years. Just an online service.

 

I used to use Onlive, and it worked great. As more people get high speed internet, I see no reason why this can't be the future. It could be the future of Steam as well.

post #613 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
 

Project Christine will never happen. The concept has lots of problems.

 

The two biggest is price, and product time to market. If you are the kind of person who will buy this, you are also the kind of person who wants the latest tech when it comes out. You don't want to have to wait 3 months for Razor to put the latest video card in a liquid cooled enclosure, and then pay $100 more for it. Especially if you want 4 of them.

     If someone was the type of person who would buy this, then he probably is a total newbie when it comes to replacing parts in a PC. Of course, the pros would find it easier to install and replace, but seeing that the installation mechanism is for the most part proprietary, then one would be spending a little more than normal for next gen's parts, which is a pain. I still wonder why there had to be modular PCs when the entire system's parts are still user-replaceable in the end. Convenience, I guess? 

post #614 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

     If someone was the type of person who would buy this, then he probably is a total newbie when it comes to replacing parts in a PC. Of course, the pros would find it easier to install and replace, but seeing that the installation mechanism is for the most part proprietary, then one would be spending a little more than normal for next gen's parts, which is a pain. I still wonder why there had to be modular PCs when the entire system's parts are still user-replaceable in the end. Convenience, I guess? 

 

Well it's a mineral oil liquid cooled computer without fans. That's the kind of thing I would want, and I have been building PC's for over 30 years. I guess it could be a newbie thing as well.

post #615 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

   Still, this gen's consoles are really amping up on pretty much everything, including the price, and IMHO, 400/500 bucks aren't exactly "affordable" in the least. As for being consumer-friedly, I kinda agree with you there. Though PC gaming is pretty complex in most respects (like installation of multi-disc games), it actually makes you learn a thing or two. Still, seeing my mom and lots of other people, the user-friendliness of consoles (as well as handhelds and tablets) give it its own edge.

 

The PS3 was $599 at launch.  The PS2 was $399 if I remember right.  So the launch prices aren't much different this generation than any previous one.  There will be price drops as soon as demand gets lower than supply, possibly this year.

 

I think the downfall of consoles is not eminent.  It will probably go at least one more generation.

 

Mobile games move a lot of copies, but don't make much money.  Rovio, the makers of Angry Birds, is about a $150 million a year company.  Nintendo is about a $9 billion a year company.  Sony and Microsoft are hard to measure because they make way more than games.  But there is no mobile game ever released that has made enough money to support AAA development budgets.

 

That could change someday, but as long as people expect to pay $1 per game (or free with advertising), mobile won't be the platform for AAA games.


Edited by barleyguy - 1/9/14 at 1:14pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)