or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please) - Page 36

Poll Results: What would you buy the XBOX ONE or the PS4?

 
  • 16% (48)
    XBOX ONE
  • 70% (211)
    PS4
  • 13% (39)
    Neither
298 Total Votes  
post #526 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
 
  • Motion controls
  • Your friends are on X-Box Live
  • You like Microsoft's exclusive games
  • You want your console to be a media center
  • Less expensive
  • More powerful
  • Better hardware design
  • You like Sony's exclusive games

 

EDIT: Yes, one of those pairs of headphones he has on his head are HD800's, (and he has some hifiman's as well)

You raise a lot of good points about the ps4, exchangeable hard drives are one of them.  I do, however, still feel that microsoft took a conservative approach to designing the xbox one and so I feel it would be a safer choice in regards to durability, but sony managed to get by with their ps3's durability which was even famous at one point for cooking eggs so we'll see.

 

I don't entirely agree with every positive you listed for either console, but on the other hand the list is far from inclusive.  There are so many different factors that come into play for both consoles that it would be difficult to list them all.

 

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was trying to discredit ps4 strengths, that wasn't my intent.  Rather I was trying to highlight that there are a lot of different positives about both consoles and people shouldn't strictly be concerned with whether a console is generally running in 720p-900p or 900p-1080p which is where a lot of Xbox one vs ps4 arguments tend to go.  I listed the factors that were most important to me when I made my choice about which console to buy now and which to buy later.  I also wanted to highlight that personal factors come into play.  Using the resolution example, viewing distance and tv size may be a major factor in whether or not the higher resolutions offered by the ps4 are a positive.  Some people may opt for the ps4 for its resolution when it ultimately doesn't matter for them which is what I want to avoid.  Like I said, I'll be buying both consoles, I just decided the Xbox one would be the better console to buy now and the ps4 the better console to buy next year.  Your friends really shouldn't sit so close to those tvs though 0_0.  It's bad for eyesight, I know from personal experience X_X.

post #527 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott5526 View Post
 

Your friends really shouldn't sit so close to those tvs though 0_0.  It's bad for eyesight, I know from personal experience X_X.

 

I sit 18 inches from a 27" LED monitor 10-16 hours a day. Been sitting in front of screen that long most days for around 30 years now. So far so good :)

post #528 of 1075

all i have to say is: HALO 5!!!!!!! :Dheh

post #529 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
 

 

I sit 18 inches from a 27" LED monitor 10-16 hours a day. Been sitting in front of screen that long most days for around 30 years now. So far so good :)

That isn't awful for a 27".  Smaller tvs are alright have smaller minimum viewing distances.  I do the same w/ a 22".  Now the 3 40" + tvs are another case.

 

On another note, used to sit 1ft off 30" ers while I was a kid.  Did it for 7 or 8 years and my visions taken a hit from it.

post #530 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

all i have to say is: HALO 5!!!!!!! :Dheh

Hopefully it's good.  I was a little disappointed w/ halo 4.  I thought 343 messed w/ too many core story concepts and their multiplayer was a little chaotic (too many power weapons/vehicles). 343 are masters of cg though, no better company comes to mind off the top of my head.  Not on consoles anyway.

post #531 of 1075
I'm pretty interested in how Halo 5 will turn out because of one thing: the person responsible for the graphics part of the engine (or at least the most important person in 343i when it comes to that) left to work in Naughty Dog. I wonder how it's going to be without her...
post #532 of 1075
Resolutions aren't dependent on just size. They're dependent on viewing distance. Computer monitors tend to fill up more of your eye viewing space than an HDTV in a standard living room. That's why reolution does matter, especially for monitors. 1080p to 720p differences are pretty obvious, if you sit a proper distance from the screen. Problem is, people tend to sit far from their TV screens, where 720p and 1080p will look the same.




Chances are, most people sit somewhere in the realm where they gain very little benefit of 1080p over 720p. Then there's the average consumer who buys a 32"-40" TV and sits 9-10feet back which is much too far for 1080p benefits, let alone 720p.

I myself have a 60" 1080p set that I sit from 7.5 feet and back. At BEST, I see all the benefits 1080p gives, but most of the time I sit further back (9-10ft) where I'm seeing a mild benefit.

This is why the push to 4k baffles me. Unless you have gigantic screens, there will be no visible improvement from a LOGICAL viewing distance. 4k is best left for projector screens.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/23/13 at 4:23am
post #533 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Resolutions aren't dependent on just size. They're dependent on viewing distance. Computer monitors tend to fill up more of your eye viewing space than an HDTV in a standard living room. That's why reolution does matter, especially for monitors. 1080p to 720p differences are pretty obvious, if you sit a proper distance from the screen. Problem is, people tend to sit far from their TV screens, where 720p and 1080p will look the same.




Chances are, most people sit somewhere in the realm where they gain very little benefit of 1080p over 720p. Then there's the average consumer who buys a 32"-40" TV and sits 9-10feet back which is much too far for 1080p benefits, let alone 720p.

I myself have a 60" 1080p set that I sit from 7.5 feet and back. At BEST, I see all the benefits 1080p gives, but most of the time I sit further back (9-10ft) where I'm seeing a mild benefit.

This is why the push to 4k baffles me. Unless you have gigantic screens, there will be no visible improvement from a LOGICAL viewing distance. 4k is best left for projector screens.

Yeah, computer monitors are in a realm of their own since people are usually forced to sit close to them.  At that point the higher resolution would definitely be a plus.  In the realm of consoles though, that usually isn't an issue.

 

In regards to 4k, unless you're dealing with very small tvs (or you are using a computer monitor) or you have a massive tv you shouldn't notice the differences.  I did a side by side at Best Buy the other day between a 4k tv and a 1080p tv at the same size and could only tell a difference when I was within a foot and a half from the tv (I think they were somewhere within the realm of 50-69").  The 4k was fantastic when my face was almost glued to the screen, but otherwise I honestly couldn't see a difference from a normal viewing distance (or even several feet back).  Tv manufacturers always need a reason to make people want to upgrade their tvs.  3D was a cool novelty at best and 4k is absurd in most cases.  The only cool thing I've seen are smart tvs which are largely replaced by other devices in many cases.

 

EDIT:

While researching gaming pcs available I stumbled into a 4k computer monitor for 3.3k, so it appears 4k computer monitors are already in production.


Edited by scott5526 - 12/23/13 at 5:34am
post #534 of 1075
The problem with 4k NOW is that TV manufacturers are eventually going to start using all the best stuff on the 4K tvs, leaving the 1080p sets with worse specs, etc. That way, people who want the best picture quality when it comes to other specs unrelated to resolution are basically forced to buy the 4K sets.
post #535 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Resolutions aren't dependent on just size. They're dependent on viewing distance. Computer monitors tend to fill up more of your eye viewing space than an HDTV in a standard living room. That's why reolution does matter, especially for monitors. 1080p to 720p differences are pretty obvious, if you sit a proper distance from the screen. Problem is, people tend to sit far from their TV screens, where 720p and 1080p will look the same.




Chances are, most people sit somewhere in the realm where they gain very little benefit of 1080p over 720p. Then there's the average consumer who buys a 32"-40" TV and sits 9-10feet back which is much too far for 1080p benefits, let alone 720p.

I myself have a 60" 1080p set that I sit from 7.5 feet and back. At BEST, I see all the benefits 1080p gives, but most of the time I sit further back (9-10ft) where I'm seeing a mild benefit.

This is why the push to 4k baffles me. Unless you have gigantic screens, there will be no visible improvement from a LOGICAL viewing distance. 4k is best left for projector screens.

 

While this is the general case, it's not 100% true. Stand 15 feet away from a 4K TV in best buy, and you can tell it's the 4K TV. You can't put your finger on why you know, but you know. The difference is clear.

 

Also, today's TV's and computer monitors only differ in use cases. They are the same technology. No one can calculate on a forum how readers use there consoles. Millions of console players sit at a desk with there console connected to a computer monitor. I happen to be one of them. Millions of people play PC games connected to TV's.

 

It's not the old days anymore.

post #536 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The problem with 4k NOW is that TV manufacturers are eventually going to start using all the best stuff on the 4K tvs, leaving the 1080p sets with worse specs, etc. That way, people who want the best picture quality when it comes to other specs unrelated to resolution are basically forced to buy the 4K sets.

 

I don't think this is going to be the case. I think it's the other way around. With 4K TV's out, the price of 1080P TV's is going to drop, and they will put the best tech they can in them to get you to buy theirs.

post #537 of 1075
No. Wanna know what the difference is? The 4k tv at best buy is being fed the best signal out of all their televisions. Thats the difference. Also, it has the best specs, in terms of colors, contrast, etc.

When you dial in a similar 1080p set being fed with the same exact 4k source, you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference. Even cnet covered this at length.

It's store trickery. All their 1080p sets are being sent spliced, degraded signals, while the 4ks get the best treatment.

At 15ft, you wouldnt see the difference.
post #538 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

No. Wanna know what the difference is? The 4k tv at best buy is being fed the best signal out of all their televisions. Thats the difference. Also, it has the best specs, in terms of colors, contrast, etc.

When you dial in a similar 1080p set being fed with the same exact 4k source, you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference. Even cnet covered this at length.

It's store trickery. All their 1080p sets are being sent spliced, degraded signals, while the 4ks get the best treatment.

At 15ft, you wouldnt see the difference.

 

You have a link please?

post #539 of 1075
You'll end up doing what I do, googling it.
post #540 of 1075
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)