Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please) - Page 3

Poll Results: What would you buy the XBOX ONE or the PS4?

 
  • 15% (39)
    XBOX ONE
  • 72% (188)
    PS4
  • 12% (33)
    Neither
260 Total Votes  
post #31 of 1019
Thread Starter 

I was very impressed by the PS4 controller allowing IEMs to be plugged in.

post #32 of 1019

19-0-0. What is this consensus on the internet? 

post #33 of 1019
I usually wait for the first hardware revision, so I won't be getting either at launch, but I would probably lean toward the PS4. Now, if the PS4 were 100% backward compatible, I'd already have one on order.
post #34 of 1019

Sony will offer PS3 backward compatibility through Gaikai service though how it work or how well will it work remain to be seen. At the very least it's something, unlike XB1.

post #35 of 1019

Man, that poll makes me happy. PS4 with 23, Xbox One gets 0.
 

I don't know why anyone would vote Xbox One, though. Man, the PS4 looks awesome.

post #36 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobot View Post

I usually wait for the first hardware revision, so I won't be getting either at launch, but I would probably lean toward the PS4. Now, if the PS4 were 100% backward compatible, I'd already have one on order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laon View Post

Sony will offer PS3 backward compatibility through Gaikai service though how it work or how well will it work remain to be seen. At the very least it's something, unlike XB1.
I wouldn't expect full backwards compatibility. In a break from previous generations, both the PS4 and XB1 are not significantly more powerful than their predecessors. The architecture difference would also likely mean more system resources devoted to emulation overhead. Cloud computing could alleviate some of this, but I wouldn't expect to see the more demanding games re-released.
post #37 of 1019

What do you mean by "not significantly more powerful?"  confused_face(1).gif

 

The PS4 has the specs to handle I highly optimized SkyFilm.
 

Heck, Watch Dogs looks a ton like Icenhancer, and that's a win in my books biggrin.gif


Edited by daleb - 6/18/13 at 10:07pm
post #38 of 1019

The biggest issue, more than just the architecture difference, is the clock speeds. Even if the new CPUs are more powerful than the old ones, it's extremely difficult (or maybe even impossible) to emulate a 3.2GHz speed on a 1.6GHz CPU.


Edited by Kukuk - 6/18/13 at 10:19pm
post #39 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalidePisces View Post
I wouldn't expect full backwards compatibility. In a break from previous generations, both the PS4 and XB1 are not significantly more powerful than their predecessors. The architecture difference would also likely mean more system resources devoted to emulation overhead. Cloud computing could alleviate some of this, but I wouldn't expect to see the more demanding games re-released.


It's not "alleviate some", PS3 backward compatibility is fully dependent on cloud with dedicated HW to receive the streamed data to lower latency. I don't think that demanding game make any lick of difference if Sony dedicate PS3 server farm or such, at this point it's too early to dismiss the potential.

 

Biggest downside on this is that you pretty much has to have good broabdband connection (which will also probably hog the whole home connection) if you want to play the game, but at least it's PS3 games, not PS4.


Edited by laon - 6/19/13 at 4:28am
post #40 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalidePisces View Post



I wouldn't expect full backwards compatibility. In a break from previous generations, both the PS4 and XB1 are not significantly more powerful than their predecessors. The architecture difference would also likely mean more system resources devoted to emulation overhead. Cloud computing could alleviate some of this, but I wouldn't expect to see the more demanding games re-released.

They're way more powerful, it's just harder to see it in graphical differences now. Especially since developers have had 7 years to optimize for PS3's hardware.

 

But like laon said Cloud computing isn't alleviating some of the power, it's handling it entirely. The cloud is running a game completely and streaming it back. I have no idea how this is supposed to work without massive input lag, but we'll see.

post #41 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

They're way more powerful, it's just harder to see it in graphical differences now. Especially since developers have had 7 years to optimize for PS3's hardware.

 

But like laon said Cloud computing isn't alleviating some of the power, it's handling it entirely. The cloud is running a game completely and streaming it back. I have no idea how this is supposed to work without massive input lag, but we'll see.

Yeah well, especially the XONE which bets on the cloud almost completely.

I mean having dynamic worlds, seemlessly changing over time over the Cloud?

I cant see myself haing a lag-free experience....

Just imagine the size doubled over current gen titles.

I am glad if I have a completely lag-free seassion and now they are talking about dynamic worlds... Jesus.

I think PS4, being the more powerful of the two (without the magical cloud) os the safer chance at 100 cheaper.

post #42 of 1019

I'm starting to think... Maybe companies won't use the DRM built in to the Xbox One when they have the choice. With all the anger over it and praise towards Sony, I think many companies might skip out on that. There's also the internet deal, though. That's bad, but at least if they don't use the DRM for most games then it would be a little more acceptable. Not that I'll ever buy one, but still. It would make me a little less angry over it.
 

Edit: Wait, someone voted for the Xbox One?... You do know it doesn't even support your current headphones, right? XD


Edited by daleb - 6/19/13 at 9:09am
post #43 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

I'm starting to think... Maybe companies won't use the DRM built in to the Xbox One when they have the choice. With all the anger over it and praise towards Sony, I think many companies might skip out on that. There's also the internet deal, though. That's bad, but at least if they don't use the DRM for most games then it would be a little more acceptable. Not that I'll ever buy one, but still. It would make me a little less angry over it.
 

Edit: Wait, someone voted for the Xbox One?... You do know it doesn't even support your current headphones, right? XD

I've got family in the boonies so the online check is a big deal for me. It would be nice to see a lot of publishers not support the DRM but the way the Xbox functions I think this would basically mean that they're allowing their game to be installed on multiple systems so people could install the game and pass it on. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

Yeah well, especially the XONE which bets on the cloud almost completely.

I mean having dynamic worlds, seemlessly changing over time over the Cloud?

I cant see myself haing a lag-free experience....

Just imagine the size doubled over current gen titles.

I am glad if I have a completely lag-free seassion and now they are talking about dynamic worlds... Jesus.

I think PS4, being the more powerful of the two (without the magical cloud) os the safer chance at 100 cheaper.

The way they're using the cloud is nothing new or different than anyone else. This is ancient technology that has been used pretty much since online gaming existed.It's just marketed as something new and different. The only real difference is that Microsoft is going to be providing loads of dedicated servers for it.

post #44 of 1019

HUGE news on the Xbox One. They've reversed all their DRM decisions.

 

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

post #45 of 1019
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

HUGE news on the Xbox One. They've reversed all their DRM decisions.


http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

wow that changes things!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)