Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please) - Page 20

Poll Results: What would you buy the XBOX ONE or the PS4?

 
  • 15% (39)
    XBOX ONE
  • 72% (188)
    PS4
  • 12% (33)
    Neither
260 Total Votes  
post #286 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalidePisces View Post


But Atlus wouldn't be out of place if Nintendo bought them from Index. Remember that Nintendo has also been doing stuff like Fire Emblem for a long time (1990 if I recall correctly). Sure, they're nowhere as "dark" and/or "serious" as some of the later stuff by Atlus (they used to do some lighter fare), but still not too far off.

Doubt it'd matter either way. Remember Microsoft buying Bungee (used to do games for Apple) and Rare (used to do games for Nintendo)?

I think the biggest reason I don't see Nintendo buying Atlus isn't because of Atlus being too "dark and edgy" for them (No More Heroes and Killer 7 anyone?) but because for the longest time Atlus has been a mostly Sony exclusive company and built up its fan base on their systems. Meaning the majority of the fans are fans of Sony. Would people still play Persona 5 on Wii U? Yeah, but will the core fanbase shell out $300 to get a Wii U for one game? I'm not so sure. Maybe they'll shock us all and make games exclusively for the OUYA


Edited by ShabbyRedTabby - 7/24/13 at 10:03pm
post #287 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalidePisces View Post


But Atlus wouldn't be out of place if Nintendo bought them from Index. Remember that Nintendo has also been doing stuff like Fire Emblem for a long time (1990 if I recall correctly). Sure, they're nowhere as "dark" and/or "serious" as some of the later stuff by Atlus (they used to do some lighter fare), but still not too far off.

Doubt it'd matter either way. Remember Microsoft buying Bungee (used to do games for Apple) and Rare (used to do games for Nintendo)?


Huh? I thought that the first few SMT series were far more darker than the straight up light hearted theme of Persona nowadays.

 

I don't see why Nintendo couldn't buy Atlus, Monolithsoft's resume also weren't exactly fit with Nintendo's usual first party title, but it doesn't really matter if you could control the development of the game. I hope not though, I was disappointed enough when Atlus made SMT IV for 3DS.

post #288 of 1019
Historically, the Shin Megami Tensei games were released on Nintendo systems. Shin Megami Tensei 4 was released for Nintendo's 3DS, rather than Sony's Vita. And then there's the Devil Survivor line... not to mention the upcoming SMT x Fire Emblem game for the WiiU. I think the Sony thing is a more recent thing, based off the aftermath of the PS1 vs. N64. The Persona spin-off has been a Sony thing due to its origins (series started on PS1).

Atlus doesn't seem to have issues working with Nintendo again (they seemed to have favored Nintendo over Sega during the pre-Sony days), in contrast to Squaresoft (now Square-Enix). As for getting a new console for a game, people have done that for exclusives. And, of course, there's the potential prospect of follow up games for Nintendo's consoles so it wouldn't be just one game. Nintendo buying Atlus would mean securing them away from Sony.

EDIT: Yeah, the earlier SMT games were much darker and serious than the modern day ones. I was thinking of stuff like Power Instinct (which did get a port to a Sega system). I can't think of something similar by Atlus these days.
Edited by HalidePisces - 7/24/13 at 10:38pm
post #289 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalidePisces View Post

Historically, the Shin Megami Tensei games were released on Nintendo systems. Shin Megami Tensei 4 was released for Nintendo's 3DS, rather than Sony's Vita. And then there's the Devil Survivor line... not to mention the upcoming SMT x Fire Emblem game for the WiiU. I think the Sony thing is a more recent thing, based off the aftermath of the PS1 vs. N64. The Persona spin-off has been a Sony thing due to its origins (series started on PS1).

Atlus doesn't seem to have issues working with Nintendo again (they seemed to have favored Nintendo over Sega during the pre-Sony days), in contrast to Squaresoft (now Square-Enix). As for getting a new console for a game, people have done that for exclusives. And, of course, there's the potential prospect of follow up games for Nintendo's consoles so it wouldn't be just one game. Nintendo buying Atlus would mean securing them away from Sony.

EDIT: Yeah, the earlier SMT games were much darker and serious than the modern day ones.

 

Pretty much this. The SMT being released on Sony systems started with Persona and carried over to SMT3, DDS and Devil Summoner. Most other games were released on Nintendo Handhelds. However it is fair to say that Atlus does have some connection with Sony given some of their other games have been Sony Exclusives like Demon Souls. However, I really think that they'll go back to Nintendo if needed. 

 

And again, Nintendo has the capital to do basically whatever they want. They've been in gaming for well over 100 years. They have built a gaming empire that Sony and MS can hardly touch. 

 

Personally I wouldn't mind buying a Wii U for Atlus exclusives, just so long as they follow standard input rather than use gimmicks (unless they release a new Trauma Center using that pad for surgery, THAT I'd buy in an instant). So if Nintendo does end up bidding and winning Atlus, I'll have no issues. It might even be a powerful combination.

post #290 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

They've been in gaming for well over 100 years.

Speaking of that, have you guys every looked over the history of Nintendo? It's absolutely insane, especially when you realize that almost all of their profit back in the day came from the Yakuza.

post #291 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

Speaking of that, have you guys every looked over the history of Nintendo? It's absolutely insane, especially when you realize that almost all of their profit back in the day came from the Yakuza.

Didn't they start off as a playing cards company? I thought they did that then a bunch of other weird stuff like taxis until they launched Game&Watch in 1980. 

Anyways personally I hope ATLUS isn't bought by Nintendo seeing as their region lock policy has always been a problem for me. It'd be nice if Sony bought them but seeing as Sony is focusing on PS4... Maybe its best if they remained third-party.

post #292 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by felisaqya View Post

Didn't they start off as a playing cards company? I thought they did that then a bunch of other weird stuff like taxis until they launched Game&Watch in 1980. 

Anyways personally I hope ATLUS isn't bought by Nintendo seeing as their region lock policy has always been a problem for me. It'd be nice if Sony bought them but seeing as Sony is focusing on PS4... Maybe its best if they remained third-party.


They did in fact start off as a playing card company, but back in the day, the main user of playing cards was the Yakuza. Nintendo pretty much owned the casinos. They also owned the taxi business, a chain of love hotels, part of the bike industry, a food chain, vacuum cleaners, and a toy business. Everything but the toy business and playing cards were cancelled soon after, because they decided making video games would be funner... Or at least that's how I like to believe it happened. It may possible have more to do with money, but that's not as inspiring. Nintendo still has both toys and playing cards being produced every so often.

 

The only problem is Atlus needs a publisher. I'm really scared of them getting picked up by a publisher besides Sony or Nintendo. I don't want a company that restricts the creative freedom of Atlus.

post #293 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

The only problem is Atlus needs a publisher. I'm really scared of them getting picked up by a publisher besides Sony or Nintendo. I don't want a company that restricts the creative freedom of Atlus.

 

Unless the company was like EA or something I don't see with happening with any publisher.

post #294 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

 

The only problem is Atlus needs a publisher. I'm really scared of them getting picked up by a publisher besides Sony or Nintendo. I don't want a company that restricts the creative freedom of Atlus.

Actually I take back what I said. I've heard of some pretty crazy publisher stories trying to control the companies that make them. I hope Sony buys Atlus honestly.

post #295 of 1019
Atlus is a big name in the East, much more so than in the West. I don't think the big Western publishing companies (EA, Activision-Blizzard, etc.) would be that interested, especially since Atlus' major works don't resonate as well to mainstream Western audiences. Atlus will likely be bought by a Japanese company (Sony, Nintendo, Namco Bandai, etc.) or at the very least an Asian company (GungHo Online Entertainment).
post #296 of 1019

I'm really hoping for Sony or Nintendo!

post #297 of 1019

PS4. One main reason is for the NFL package because I don't have Direct TV. Other reason is I enjoy the PS exclusives such as Uncharted and Last of Us. I was never interested in Halo and most of my FPSes on PC.

post #298 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeops View Post

PS4. One main reason is for the NFL package because I don't have Direct TV. Other reason is I enjoy the PS exclusives such as Uncharted and Last of Us. I was never interested in Halo and most of my FPSes on PC.

This - The exclusives are something to remind why I chose Sony at the very beginning (and why the period I owned the X360 was not something that convinced me to switch)

The Last of Us is sublime 0_0


Edited by conquerator2 - 7/28/13 at 12:51pm
post #299 of 1019

Getting the ps4 here.. I have been a sony fan since the psone era.. ps plus and the great exclusives caught me.

post #300 of 1019

I do not disagree with any comments about the announcements, however, I feel people are getting to worked up about Microsofts approacha nd forgetting everything Microsoft has done with XBox Live, so many more people have 360s and XBox Live has always been much further ahead the PSN and to be honest, there is no way that is going to change at launch. It took Microsoft years to perfect it and they still make it better, they have a 4 year jump over Sony as the XBox had online gaming and so does the 360 where as the PS3 was the first true online system besides games like SOCOM. They are both going to be good but since the world is moving to the cloud, Microsoft has the resources and the head start int he field to execute more efficiently.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)