Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please) - Page 8

Poll Results: What would you buy the XBOX ONE or the PS4?

 
  • 15% (39)
    XBOX ONE
  • 72% (186)
    PS4
  • 12% (32)
    Neither
257 Total Votes  
post #106 of 1019

Could you please explain the benefits of what was going to happen, please? All I heard about was the family plan thing. Were there other things they were aiming for?
 

post #107 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

Could you please explain the benefits of what was going to happen, please? All I heard about was the family plan thing. Were there other things they were aiming for?
 

Sure. I'll be real quick, but sure. I'm not of a creative mind, so I can't talk too much about application, but I can throw my thoughts out there. MS laying the foundation for an always online platform that is power by cloud computing. More persistent worlds. Being able to add capacity, capability, and functionality on the fly without altering the client-side stations. Real time analytics from a larger world that can be translated back into your gameplay to enhance your experience. That experience continuing even when you aren't there. Those things are really exciting to me, but it's a lot of functionality that you can't just put into a platform without set rules, requirements, and (dare I say it) policies.

post #108 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

I don't think you could do the math. That's not a slight towards you, I'm just saying yours and mine and everyone's guess on it is a good as a coat racks. It's all perception.

 

Not all of it, but it's a fact that most countries wouldn't have access. No guesswork there.

 

 

Quote:

 

Servers crash. Such is life. It hasn't affected my gaming experience more than an immesureable fraction of that time. The lifetime bans, I'm sure they happen. I have not a single example of it happening to any friends or co-players where it was completely invalid. Just such a small percentage of these things actually happening in my experience (and I have a pretty damn fair amount), but the internet give everyone such a big voice. The large amount of people who are happy, stay happy. The people who aren't, they rage on the internet.

 

You can't deny these are all negative things. And your entire library being inaccessible can be avoided without this DRM.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Sure. I'll be real quick, but sure. I'm not of a creative mind, so I can't talk too much about application, but I can throw my thoughts out there. MS laying the foundation for an always online platform that is power by cloud computing. More persistent worlds. Being able to add capacity, capability, and functionality on the fly without altering the client-side stations. Real time analytics from a larger world that can be translated back into your gameplay to enhance your experience. That experience continuing even when you aren't there. Those things are really exciting to me, but it's a lot of functionality that you can't just put into a platform without set rules, requirements, and (dare I say it) policies.

 

Let's say that this is true and suddenly after several decades of its existence this ancient cloud computing technology suddenly becomes extremely useful for things other than online games.... Microsoft's policy changes don't effect this one bit. Their 24hr checks, region locking and restrictions on game resale have absolutely nothing to do with this.

post #109 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

That's not it at all. I'm seeing it. I respect it. I don't really agree with it entirely. I think those views come from some shortsightedness. I think it's it's very egoic and emotional. There is absolutely a group that I feel for because they don't meet the requirements needed for MS to deliver the experience they want to give, but at some point, a company needs to decide who they are going to cater to. MS chose the technology progressive group.

And yet you don't care how XBOX One's DRM effect them. You obviously don't get it so this is my last attempt because debating Microsoft abandoned DRM is moot.

 

  • If I lose my job and can't pay my internet bill anymore than my XBOX One is nothing more than a $500 bluray player.
  • If I move to an area that has no access to the internet like Morganton, NC than my XBOX One is nothing more than a $500 bluray player,
  • I can no longer buy, trade, and sell used games freely and with who ever I want.

None of this effect you but it effects me. 


Edited by RoMee - 6/20/13 at 1:59pm
post #110 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

You can't deny these are all negative things. And your entire library being inaccessible can be avoided without this DRM.

I don't deny that. They are negative things, for sure. They're just not prominent enough to influence my decision right now. They could be in the future. I'm guessing they wont because networks generally become more robust vs degrade as time goes by. Definitely a factor, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

Let's say that this is true and suddenly after several decades of its existence this ancient cloud computing technology suddenly becomes extremely useful for things other than online games.... Microsoft's policy changes don't effect this one bit. Their 24hr checks, region locking and restrictions on game resale have absolutely nothing to do with this.

I think it's two separate issues. There are policies needed to support the infrastructure they are trying to provide. There are policies to help monetize the product. 24hr checks is infrastructure, so I'm ok with it. Region locking is whatever to me. I think it affects a very very small group that MS was ok with alienating. Game resale and sharing, I'm in agreeance with the popular opinion. I don't like it, but it does makes sense from a business perspective. It's just the price you pay to play their game, I suppose.

post #111 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

And yet you don't care how XBOX One's DRM effect them. You obviously don't get it so this is my last attempt because debating Microsoft abandoned DRM is moot.

 

  • If I lose my job and can't pay my internet bill anymore than my XBOX One is nothing more than a $500 bluray player.
  • If I move to an area that has no access to the internet like Morganton, NC than my XBOX One is nothing more than a $500 bluray player,
  • I can no longer buy, trade, and sell used games freely and with who ever I want.

None of this effect you but it effects me. 

I do get it. You just don't like my answer. Playing a gaming console is not your right. It's a privilege with a cost associated with it and you have to pay into that. If you lose your job and can't pay your internet bill which, in turn, you can't play your console, I would hope that is the least of your problems. If your area has no access to the internet and it's a priority for you (it definitely is for me), live in an area that supports your needs (which can be applied to tons a different things beside internet access such as schools and crime rates). As for buy, trade, and sell used games freely, I sympathize with you on this one.

post #112 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

I think it's two separate issues. There are policies needed to support the infrastructure they are trying to provide. There are policies to help monetize the product. 24hr checks is infrastructure, so I'm ok with it. Region locking is whatever to me. I think it affects a very very small group that MS was ok with alienating. Game resale and sharing, I'm in agreeance with the popular opinion. I don't like it, but it does makes sense from a business perspective. It's just the price you pay to play their game, I suppose.

They aren't needed. It's evidenced by the fact that they are still doing all the cloud stuff without any of this stuff.

 

It's downright ridiculous to say that region locking would only effect a small group. Only 21 countries would have been able to play the Xbox One because of it. More would likely roll out in the future, but plenty would still be left out. 

post #113 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

I do get it. You just don't like my answer. Playing a gaming console is not your right. It's a privilege with a cost associated with it and you have to pay into that. If you lose your job and can't pay your internet bill which, in turn, you can't play your console, I would hope that is the least of your problems. If your area has no access to the internet and it's a priority for you (it definitely is for me), live in an area that supports your needs (which can be applied to tons a different things beside internet access such as schools and crime rates). As for buy, trade, and sell used games freely, I sympathize with you on this one.

 

This is what I've been saying all along. We agreed on something.

 

I'm not about to rearrange my life just so I can play video games. And when I say can't pay my bill, it means cutting back on things that are less important like video games/internet.

Like I said, there's nothing left to say until you educate yourself to see things from other people's point of view,  good luck man.


Edited by RoMee - 6/20/13 at 2:28pm
post #114 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

They aren't needed. It's evidenced by the fact that they are still doing all the cloud stuff without any of this stuff.

 

It's downright ridiculous to say that region locking would only effect a small group. Only 21 countries would have been able to play the Xbox One because of it. More would likely roll out in the future, but plenty would still be left out. 

Then I will admit I don't know enough about the consequences of region locking. If it's hurting a large amount of people, I'm definitely against it. I want people to play with, of course. My mind can be changed on these things, ya know.

post #115 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

This is what I've been saying all along. We agreed on something.

 

I'm not about to rearrange my life just so I can play video games. And when I say can't pay my bill, it means cutting back on things that are less important like video games/internet.

Like I said, there's nothing left to say until you educate yourself to see things from other people's point of view,  good luck man.

I mean, you understand that I could understand what you're saying and you're still not going to like my answer, right? It's not a matter or whether or not I am able to intellectually grasp what you're saying. You're expecting that if I was educated with your point of view, I would see things differently. I think you've done a very good job showing your point of view and I think I have a better understanding now than I did when we started this conversation. With that, I'm not saying you have to rearrange your life. I'm saying there are requirements to the functionality. If it's important to you, you'll meet those requirements. If not, well there is content available to you that you can partake in, but doesn't have that functionality. There is that option now.

post #116 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

I mean, you understand that I could understand what you're saying and you're still not going to like my answer, right? It's not a matter or whether or not I am able to intellectually grasp what you're saying. You're expecting that if I was educated with your point of view, I would see things differently. I think you've done a very good job showing your point of view and I think I have a better understanding now than I did when we started this conversation. With that, I'm not saying you have to rearrange your life. I'm saying there are requirements to the functionality. If it's important to you, you'll meet those requirements. If not, well there is content available to you that you can partake in, but doesn't have that functionality. There is that option now.

Than you got your answer. 

you said:

Quote:
 I'm asking because I truly don't see an issue and am trying to get my limited brain to understand the other side.

 

Well I just gave you my issues with the XBOX One's DRM. You can either accept this is the reason why I don't want it or you can reject it. 

If you are truly interested in why most of us hate the DRM policy, than you should just accept the fact that we are not you and we have valid reasons why we don't like/want it in our gaming console. 

If you look at this from our point of view than you'll see why the XBOX One's DRM does not work for us or for anybody who's in similar situations..


Edited by RoMee - 6/20/13 at 2:56pm
post #117 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

Than you got your answer. 

you said:

 

Well I just gave you my issues with the XBOX One's DRM. You can either accept this is the reason why I don't want it or reject it. 

If you are truly interested in why most of us hate the DRM policy, than you should just accept the fact that we are not you and we have valid reasons why we don't like/want it in our gaming console. 

If you look at this from our point of view than you'll see why the XBOX One's DRM does not work for us or for anybody who's in similar situations..

This conversation is two separate issues. Functionality and monetization (which contains the DRM issues). If the policies that align with the monetization and DRM allow you to not experience the game in the way it should, I will reject those policies. I have already changed my mind in this conversation about a couple issues.

post #118 of 1019
-NVM- This is going nowhere.
 
YAY!! Microsoft!

Edited by RoMee - 6/20/13 at 3:42pm
post #119 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

Right now you're refusing to understand the effect the policy has on the people on the other side or you don't consider it significant enough to warrant the dislikes but for us it is enough of a reason.

 

I've comprehended everything you've said, so I don't believe I'm refusing to understand your side. I do think that it's unrealistic to think that the only option after comprehension would be to agree with you, though. So maybe it's me not considering it significant enough to be disliked? But I don't think it's that either. I mean I generally don't like the policies meant for pure monetization, but it doesn't mean so much that I will rob myself of the experience. My mind is open to be changed, but I think we've hit a stalemate here.

post #120 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

 Playing a gaming console is not your right. It's a privilege with a cost associated with it and you have to pay into that. If you lose your job and can't pay your internet bill which, in turn, you can't play your console, I would hope that is the least of your problems.

 

See, this is what makes you work the opposite of everyone else. You are a business man.

 

Playing games is absolutely my right, and if Microsoft wants to take that from me, then why would I ever pay them? I live in Texas. 90% of the state is farmland! Most people don't have internet out here, but a lot of people play game consoles here.

 

Games are an art, and to revoke someone the right of viewing that art when they are willing to pay for it is just wrong.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)