New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMan RE-600 Review - Page 5

post #61 of 494
A new company usually doesn't say that their new entry level earphone is better than their established flagship, obviously.

An example would be Westone's new adventure line of iems. Westone isn't telling anyone that they are better than the w4 or es5 or W3 or UM3, etc. The newer and lower cost Shure SE215 isn't marketed as better than the 535.

The Re-400 sells at a lower price point than the previously sold RE-272, so yes, it is obviously surprising that HifiMan is saying the re-400 is better.

So, you've been proven wrong, let's move on to something more on-topic.
post #62 of 494

Who are you referring to, Kunlun?

post #63 of 494
Ha ha, awesome.
post #64 of 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

A new company usually doesn't say that their new entry level earphone is better than their established flagship, obviously.

An example would be Westone's new adventure line of iems. Westone isn't telling anyone that they are better than the w4 or es5 or W3 or UM3, etc. The newer and lower cost Shure SE215 isn't marketed as better than the 535.

The Re-400 sells at a lower price point than the previously sold RE-272, so yes, it is obviously surprising that HifiMan is saying the re-400 is better.

So, you've been proven wrong, let's move on to something more on-topic.

 

 

I really wish they didn't kill the RE272. What an awesome iem, though not perfect. It just did so well so many things. The Re-400 was just too shouty for me; definitely didn't strike me as the Hifiman sound. Seems like the RE-600 could be quite the good iem, though. 

post #65 of 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

Ha ha, awesome.
LOL!
post #66 of 494
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio-Omega View Post

How much are they and when will they be available ?

$399, scheduled for release the end of this month.
post #67 of 494
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyfi View Post

HiFlight, how does it pair with Tera Player? I read somewhere that it has high impedance dynamic driver. I expect it would work perfectly with TP. Can you confirm this?

It does pair quite well with my Tera-Player. We should know the specs soon, as Fang is supposed to be emailing them to me.
post #68 of 494
Thread Starter 
I have finally had time to make a couple of adapters that allows me to use the TRRS balanced plug of the HE-600 with my DB2/PB2/Topkit balanced rig and desktop amp. Below are several combinations that I have tried so far with the PB2/HE-600:

Tera-Player>PB2>HE-600
DX100 Lineout>PB2>HE-600 and
H120 Optical Output>DB2>PB2>HE-600
Computer>D7DAC>Bantam Gold>RE-600

All sounded superb, and I would find it difficult to pick a favorite without a lot of additional comparisons using a greater variety of music genre's. The H120/DB2/PB2 combination was a rather unfair comparison as both my DX100 and Tera-Player are loaded with only .wav files while my H120 has a mix of MP3 of varying bitrates, Flac and some Ogg. The Tera-Player/PB2 sounded exceptionally smooth and will probably be my choice for long periods of uninterrupted listening.

Using a balanced source does not seem to change the tonality of the RE-600, but does further improve the accuracy of the imaging as well as the width and depth of the soundstage. Subtle micro-details contained within the music also seemed to catch my ear when compared to listening to the same files from a standard headphone output. I suspect that removing the common ground return and providing dedicated L- & R-returns are the reason for the improvements.

While the improvements resulting from the balanced sources do not make night and day changes to the SQ, theses subtleties do add to my listening enjoyment of the RE-600. If you already have a balanced source, it is certainly worth the effort to fabricate a suitable adapter to mate with the stock RE-600 TRRS balanced plug.

One also needs to keep in mind that a good quality standard source will always sound better than a poor quality balanced source.
Edited by HiFlight - 6/17/13 at 12:41pm
post #69 of 494

Nice to know HiFlight!

I'm sure a balanced amp adds a little plus of some kind but would you say the Re-600 directly connected to a Tera still sounds great? I'm worried it might be a little light on bass...

Thanks!

post #70 of 494
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tympan View Post

Nice to know HiFlight!
I'm sure a balanced amp adds a little plus of some kind but would you say the Re-600 directly connected to a Tera still sounds great? I'm worried it might be a little light on bass...
Thanks!

The RE-600 has an impedance of only 16 ohms, but surprisingly sounds quite well-balanced tonally when powered directly from the Tera. It does, however, scale up very well with a good amp. The most efficient power transfer occurs when the impedance of the source and load are the same so the Tera, in this case, is delivering the most output power that it is capable of. Efficiency of power transfer is something that has been overlooked in the myriad discussions involving output impedance and its effects on a transducer.
post #71 of 494

Well, I guess it's confirmed that I'm getting the RE600's. Got my warranty replacement RE-272's so those are up for sale for those interested tongue_smile.gif

post #72 of 494
Thread Starter 
See Addendum #5 on my initial post for specifications as reported by Fang.
post #73 of 494
Anyone tried comparing it to a well amped re0?

I wonder, because re0 sounds much better well-amped. How big of an improvement can us re0 fans expect?

Thanks!
post #74 of 494

you should have asked for an upgrade -replacement of the 272 for 600

 

you 'd pay an extra 150$ and get them

 

i think they would do that if you asked them

 

at least when my re-zero broke , i did likewise and purchased the 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

Well, I guess it's confirmed that I'm getting the RE600's. Got my warranty replacement RE-272's so those are up for sale for those interested tongue_smile.gif

post #75 of 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post

you should have asked for an upgrade -replacement of the 272 for 600

you 'd pay an extra 150$ and get them

i think they would do that if you asked them

at least when my re-zero broke , i did likewise and purchased the 272
My retailer gave me the option, at the time I figured the 272's were worth keeping. But I then realized I don't need too many iems lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: