Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany - Page 57

post #841 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt-bada View Post
 

Rawster did you try the foams provided in the package in medium? the sound of the silicone tips is a bit in V, harsh and less clear and detailed.

 

Congrats vrnl to me they are a complete upgrade over the sony ex1000 except for the bass and a bit wider soundstage but they are far superior overall imo and close in bass and soundstage. separation detail and clarity are in another tier,

I tried a few tips that I have and the TF10 tips work the best. For some reason these tips always give me the best seal. The sony hybrids were good earlier as I don't have many tips but the TF10 tips give a better balance to the sound. I'm not a fan of foam tips. They have to be replaced every now and then and don't want to be bothered with that. 

 

To give these some time I decided not to use anything else today. Right off the bat I can tell they are good iems and appreciate quality gear. It sounds fine off my phone but then it gets better with my X3 and even more when I use my Anedio D1 dac/amp which is very good for iem's. However the majority of the time these will be used with my X3 or phone so it is definitely reassuring to know that they still sound great. They sound very similar to the JH5. It's too bad I sold those today or I could do a comparison between the two. I won't comment too much since they are new and want to get a better idea first. 

 

The only thing I wish they had was a filter for earwax closer to the nozzle. The wax remover tool they have doesn't reach that far down so I imagine after some time there could be some of that down there if you don't clean on a regular basis. 

post #842 of 1744

Kurdt-bada: this thread and the experiences of seasoned Head-Fiers here are the reason I decided to try these :) Thanks! An improved UE900/EX1000 is exactly what I´m after. By the way, just read that the UE900 has apparently been cancelled! I guess that was the FA4´s biggest direct competitor.

 

davidcotton: I´ll post impressions here as soon as I get them :) Good points, it´s so difficult to make the decision when basically you have to buy blind here in the EU. How lucky people in Asia are with all the headphone shops where you can demo tons of IEMs... By the way, I would advice to stay clear from EarSonics products. Had the same feeling as you mentioned once and ended up buying the SM64. It´s a good IEM SQ wise actually, very unique sound, but they feel very plasticky and I just can´t recommend them especially with all the negative stories about their warranty work too. It´s a good buy if you can find one second hand for a decent price, but in the end a 400 euro IEM just can´t have similar build quality (worse actually) as normal 30 dollar earbuds. It´s good that some manufacturers are finally starting to increase their bill of materials a bit and use a better shell. There´s no excuse for the lacking typical high end IEM build quality.

post #843 of 1744

The shell is exactly the same as this from Westone, sooo why ES is so critisized when Westone has exactly the same kind of problems with these products.

 

The distributors network is entirely renewed, now you have a decent after-sales market.

post #844 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollk2 View Post
 

The shell is exactly the same as this from Westone, sooo why ES is so critisized when Westone has exactly the same kind of problems with these products.

 

The distributors network is entirely renewed, now you have a decent after-sales market.

+1.....

post #845 of 1744
Thread Starter 

the shell of the sm3v2 isn't the same as the um3x i have to say that sm3v2 build quality is horrible and i had some issues with them, um3x is better but not too much though and also had issues with them, best build quality is shure by far and the fa 4e xb while they are a bit plain it feels much sturdier than sm3 v2 or um3x.

 

Ok rawster wait till you have a better idea of how these sound

post #846 of 1744

Sorry Kurdt but as I repair many IEM I can honestly say that the shells are almost the same and use the same technology (ultrasound) to close them.

 

Currently I'm repairing a Shure SE530, it's the same material as SM3v2. Exactly the same.

 

EarSonics have had problems just one time and I can honestly say that because I have had all of their products as well as Westone 1, UM2, UM3x, Westone3 and Westone4, Shure SE215, SE225, SE315, SE425 and SE535. None of these constructors have high quality products because it's plastic shell !

 

Fanboys and haters are very tiring, please...

post #847 of 1744
Thread Starter 

but the shure 535 shell feels and looks much better than those, the sm3 v2 shell after some time tend to open at least it's what happened to me, maybe they use the same technology and materials but shure 535 are far better made and finished.

 

I'm not a hater but i had serious build quality issues with the sm3 v2 and with the um3x


Edited by Kurdt-bada - 12/10/13 at 6:27am
post #848 of 1744

I put on the cable I had on my V6 Stage and the comfort is much better now. I really hate those memory wire cables. They are really annoying for me since I wear glasses. However now I need another cable so I contacted the person who made my cable for another one lol :) With this cable and the TF10 tips I think I have settled on a good combination. Outside of getting custom made tips I think comfort wise this will be as good as it gets. 

 

Does anyone else who owns this iem also have a Fiio X3? I'm really conflicted with this pairing. It's been sounding either horrible or amazing with various tracks so far. It could very well be the track/recording isn't very good which is what some of my files on the X3 are but I might have to track down the album/song that it does it on to get a better idea.

 

Right now I am putting these iem's in between my universals and custom in performance. It isn't as "fun" in signature as my SA7 but right now I do think it is better however it is not as good as my V6 Stage ciem. It is closer to the SA7 in performance than the V6 Stage but that isn't anything surprising. I do think the XB in the name of this iem is a bit deceiving. It makes one think of a bass monster (or at least it does to me) and that isn't really the case. Something like an IE8 on the setting that gives it the most bass or anything from Atrios would be something I consider bass heavy but these are not it. It is fairly balance with some warmth but not overly so. My V6 Stage probably has more bass from what I'm hearing and although that does have a slight emphasis on bass it isn't that big an emphasis. Sorry I'm rambling at this point but I do like them. 

post #849 of 1744
Good rambling (y)
post #850 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post
 

I put on the cable I had on my V6 Stage and the comfort is much better now. I really hate those memory wire cables. They are really annoying for me since I wear glasses. However now I need another cable so I contacted the person who made my cable for another one lol :) With this cable and the TF10 tips I think I have settled on a good combination. Outside of getting custom made tips I think comfort wise this will be as good as it gets. 

 

Does anyone else who owns this iem also have a Fiio X3? I'm really conflicted with this pairing. It's been sounding either horrible or amazing with various tracks so far. It could very well be the track/recording isn't very good which is what some of my files on the X3 are but I might have to track down the album/song that it does it on to get a better idea.

 

Right now I am putting these iem's in between my universals and custom in performance. It isn't as "fun" in signature as my SA7 but right now I do think it is better however it is not as good as my V6 Stage ciem. It is closer to the SA7 in performance than the V6 Stage but that isn't anything surprising. I do think the XB in the name of this iem is a bit deceiving. It makes one think of a bass monster (or at least it does to me) and that isn't really the case. Something like an IE8 on the setting that gives it the most bass or anything from Atrios would be something I consider bass heavy but these are not it. It is fairly balance with some warmth but not overly so. My V6 Stage probably has more bass from what I'm hearing and although that does have a slight emphasis on bass it isn't that big an emphasis. Sorry I'm rambling at this point but I do like them. 


Honest opinion, thank you for that !

 

I disliked X3 with FA4, too much high mid, more precisely, on some tracks high mids was not as controlled as with the DX50, but with the DX50 you could hear breath. The only solution is to use Comply Foam that is more permissive with the high mids and less impactfull  on lows. IMO

post #851 of 1744
Thread Starter 
Agreee with foams in medium if this size fits you
Edited by Kurdt-bada - 12/11/13 at 1:43am
post #852 of 1744

I don´t think I was being a hater at all, just critical of companies that have sub-par build quality. In this day and age the IEM market has evolved a lot and I just don´t think build quality that was fine 3-4 years ago is ok anymore. It´s more competitive now with companies like In Ear (StageDivers), Sony (EX-1000) and others showing what´s possible when a company tries to raise the bar. Also as Kurdt-bada mentioned, there´s a lot more to it than just if the shell is plastic or not. For example the Shure 215 shell feels a lot more solid and reliable (and if you look at their threads here on Head-Fi anecdotal build quality issues rate seems to go as expected from the visual look and feel) than the one on EarSonics SM64. I can´t comment on the FA4 yet, but if it´s indeed 3D printed acrylic plastic it should be on a different league again compared to the Shure. The StageDivers are probably the gold standard right now along the Sony EX-1000.

 

Also despite knocking EarSonics I would actually personally consider buying another product from them as I did like the sound, but I can´t really openly recommend them due to the cheap build. At least if one buys EarSonics it´s good to know from the start that the build is weak/passable at best. Plus they use the Westone 2-pin connector, which is very reliable. All in all sound quality is just one factor, ergonomics, tip selection and build are extremely important too - although often overlooked in the traditional audiophile "sound quality over everything" mentality. There´s nothing wrong with liking a product with good sound quality yet bad build quality though, in the end it´s all about if one is ok with making that compromise. I used to be very willing, but I´ve grown grumpier after experiencing so many IEMs break down...


Edited by vrln - 12/11/13 at 1:12pm
post #853 of 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollk2 View Post
 


Honest opinion, thank you for that !

 

I disliked X3 with FA4, too much high mid, more precisely, on some tracks high mids was not as controlled as with the DX50, but with the DX50 you could hear breath. The only solution is to use Comply Foam that is more permissive with the high mids and less impactfull  on lows. IMO

I am thinking of getting another dap but after the new year so maybe that will show a change. I'm looking at the Sony ZX1 and it looks promising so far.

post #854 of 1744

Many hopes about the new Sony with its 128go internal memory :)

 

+1 vrln, but the only people I know who owns InEar Stagediver3 has broke them without any reason. Thanks to Thomann warranty she has now a new pair, because InEar did not want.... Sooo I'm more than circumspect concerning the quality of plastic versus acrylic shell or anything else.

post #855 of 1744
The CK100Pro is a piece of art in a way. Feels incredibly sturdy. But the nozzle is plastic as far as I remember. Anyway. The ASG-2 feels VERY sturdy. I feel like it could survive an apocalypse almost. I also prefer recessed sockets (if the cables fit) to flush fit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany