Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Custom 3.5mm to 3.5mm Cable For Headphones Questions!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom 3.5mm to 3.5mm Cable For Headphones Questions!

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 
Hello all,
 
 
I'm not too sure what the answer to my question is, as I have not heard much opinions on this topic.
 
(I'm only posting this in this forum section as well, because it will get more attention as most of you are using headphones with detachable cables.)
 
Anyways, to the point now. I have a pair of V-Moda M-80's, that I really enjoy using. My question is, if I buy a custom made cable for it, will it even improve the sound quality at all?
 
I only ask this because as the signal in the cable reaches the headphones jack terminal, it is then entering the headphones stock internals, hence the signal is back to normal for the sound quality?
 
If anyone could brief me up on this, please do. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.
 
Thanks.

Edited by SkyBleu - 6/10/13 at 2:45am
post #2 of 61

Hey SkyBleu...

 

In my humble opinion, I personally cannot hear a difference in wire, unless it is defective or poorly made (ie bad solder joints etc...)

 

So do I think a custome made cable will improve the sound quality of the M-80's, probably not.

 

Mind you, there are people here who can hear a difference in a wire depending on which direction it's plugged in, so "I" might not be the best person to reply to this... You have a few $50+ LOD's in your profile, can you hear a difference in those compared to a lower priced normal LOD such as the FiiO ones?

 

If you hear a difference in your LOD's then you will probably hear a difference in a headphone cable. biggrin.gif

post #3 of 61

This question is probably best aimed at the "Sound science" or "Cables" sub-forums. You'll get a different opinion either way. 

It's a tricky, long-winded, and widely discussed topic. 

I am a sound engineer by trade, and I can not here any audible differences in cable, other than occasional impedance variation. Not saying that I have "Golden ears" by any means, but analytical listening is my job. By all means, dig deeper, do your own reading, and come to your own conclusions. 

post #4 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Hey SkyBleu...

In my humble opinion, I personally cannot hear a difference in wire, unless it is defective or poorly made (ie bad solder joints etc...)

So do I think a custome made cable will improve the sound quality of the M-80's, probably not.

Mind you, there are people here who can hear a difference in a wire depending on which direction it's plugged in, so "I" might not be the best person to reply to this... You have a few $50+ LOD's in your profile, can you hear a difference in those compared to a lower priced normal LOD such as the FiiO ones?

If you hear a difference in your LOD's then you will probably hear a difference in a headphone cable. biggrin.gif

Thank you for your opinion, it I'd appreciated:)

The thing is, I'm not in it for the big differences that some may state, but rather the small difference that can tone the M-80's to just the way I like. I know many will beg to differ that I'm just burning cash, but for instance, I can notice the touch of brightness a silver LOD can add to an amp/DAP/headphones. And yes, I know, sometimes it's there, and sometimes it's not.

I do agree with you about the directional flow. I've tested my first interconnect with that directional flow thing that some talk about, and I have yet to notice a difference.

For a custom cable, looks, whether some like to admit it or not, will contribute a fair factor to the reason why one would want a new custom cable. I guess sometimes I fit in that categoty as well, but at least I am aware.

As of the LODs and ICs I own, none of which are over the price tag of $50, but besides the point, I seem to notice a slight difference between a FiiO interconnect and the cables I own. Not so much a change in sound signature or anything, but things like the micro detailing and warmth or "sparkliness", I can notice.

I know I once had said it was night and day difference in one of the threads, but I will go back on my word now. It was due to the excitement of a new cable, I guess you could say, and so I'd assume that's why you'd ask me that question. smily_headphones1.gif
post #5 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensy View Post

This question is probably best aimed at the "Sound science" or "Cables" sub-forums. You'll get a different opinion either way. 


It's a tricky, long-winded, and widely discussed topic. 


I am a sound engineer by trade, and I can not here any audible differences in cable, other than occasional impedance variation. Not saying that I have "Golden ears" by any means, but analytical listening is my job. By all means, dig deeper, do your own reading, and come to your own conclusions. 

I know it would have best been asked in those forums, but I had already gone through the oh so many pages of debating on this topic. I felt it was best for me to ask the regular headphone users of these forums as they may have opinions coming from experience as opposed to the sound scientists, who will give you the cold hard facts.

Many have said that there is no difference, just placebo, but really, I'm just trying to find the littlest excuse to get a nice looking cable with the hope of added benefits.

Also, as you may have already noticed, from your post and TrollDragon's, you guys will give me your opinion as well as let me have the right to my own - which is what I'm kind of after when asking in these forums. Mixed opinions, not just facts, statistics or the occasional, really biased opinions.

I'm only speaking my mind here, so you guys can feel free to correct me if you desire. I probably contradicted myself many times through these replies haha tongue.gif
post #6 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

For a custom cable, looks, whether some like to admit it or not, will contribute a fair factor to the reason why one would want a new custom cable. I guess sometimes I fit in that categoty as well, but at least I am aware.

I know I once had said it was night and day difference in one of the threads, but I will go back on my word now. It was due to the excitement of a new cable, I guess you could say, and so I'd assume that's why you'd ask me that question. smily_headphones1.gif

Hey SkyBleu!

 

Looks, or functionality (ie flexibility / length etc) can be a key factor in deciding to get a custom cable as well. I didn't like the coiled cable on my DT880's so I modifier them to dual tiny xlr, it didn't changed the sound any IMHO, but it made them more functional for me and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a cable for that type of purpose either.

 

I didn't Google any of your LOD's, I just assumed that cryo'd and 7N OFC listing meant they were probably 50 bones or more, nothing wrong with that either. The only reason I asked that question was to see if you heard a difference in the LOD's, if you did then you would probably hear a difference in the headphone cable as well. I never even thought about the night and day thing...

 

No judgment here good sir, unless your buying $1500 power cords and USB cables... biggrin.gif Then all I'd say is you have way too much disposable income... biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

post #7 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Hey SkyBleu!

Looks, or functionality (ie flexibility / length etc) can be a key factor in deciding to get a custom cable as well. I didn't like the coiled cable on my DT880's so I modifier them to dual tiny xlr, it didn't changed the sound any IMHO, but it made them more functional for me and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a cable for that type of purpose either.

I didn't Google any of your LOD's, I just assumed that cryo'd and 7N OFC listing meant they were probably 50 bones or more, nothing wrong with that either. The only reason I asked that question was to see if you heard a difference in the LOD's, if you did then you would probably hear a difference in the headphone cable as well. I never even thought about the night and day thing...

No judgment here good sir, unless your buying $1500 power cords and USB cables... biggrin.gif  Then all I'd say is you have way too much disposable income... biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Appearance and functionality, that's what I was looking for! wink.gif

That's probably the more reasurring reason as to why one would want to acquire a custom made cable! Haha
To me, most definitely the looks and the ergonomic design of a cable will play a huge part in deciding for this reason.

That brings me to explain why I really asked the question. Its just a custom 3.5mm to 3.5mm headphone cable is rather a rare site to see on this website as to me, it is probably no different to let's say, a custom cable for someone's pair of custom IEMs. They're both custom cables yet CIEM cables tend to get more attention overall. Many state that CIEM cables will make a difference to sound quality, and being one of those people, I do partly agree to some extent. As of a custom 3.5mm to 3.5mm, however, not many have stated anything about these, nor have many said why they are not as popular.

I can't imagine purchasing a $1000+ cable of any sort, as that seems rather far fetched, but some due, and I can't blame them for what they state they notice in terms of differences.
I think the top price that I would pay for a cable impulsively would probably be $100, and even though that price is pretty hefty already, I'd more or less still feel the hard hit on the wallet, in which I'd hope the cable would payy off, one way or another.
post #8 of 61

Custom 3.5mm to 3.5mm don't seem to be too popular here like you say, one reason is they are probably to small to work with in anything other than a straight wire, no 8 wire braids into a 3.5mm end... wink.gif

 

Also there are not many headphones with a removeable cable in 3.5mm...

 

I have repurposed a few 3.5mm cable's for my Ultrasones that I added a socket to, as the bends would NOT come out of the stock Ultrasone wire.

All of my ends here are wood and some just have a little too much lacquer as I got carried away with the dipping... rolleyes.gif

 

Custom 3.5mm's & Ultrasone Mod (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post


Appearance and functionality, that's what I was looking for! wink.gif
 

There is absolutely no shame in that! You don't need to hunt for a sonic excuse to upgrade a cable - do it, post pictures, and be proud.
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

I have repurposed a few 3.5mm cable's for my Ultrasones

That cable looks absolutely fantastic, good work.

post #10 of 61
Thanks jensy!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
post #11 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensy View Post

There is absolutely no shame in that! You don't need to hunt for a sonic excuse to upgrade a cable - do it, post pictures, and be proud.
 

 

That cable looks absolutely fantastic, good work.

Yes, no shame haha

 

I will get some pics for you guys soon enough!

 

Have just ordered a 4-braid hybrid cryo (Copper/Silver) 3.5mm to 3.5mm 1.2m with switchcraft jacks:)

 

I thought, if I don't get something for the thrill of having a beast looking cable, I'd always be thinking about it, so I just went and got a relatively cheap custom made cable from a mate of mine:)

 

I am still aware not much differences will be noticed, if any, but I am probably not getting any headphones anytime soon by the looks of it, so a new cable will give me that impression that I have got a new pair of headphones! biggrin.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Custom 3.5mm to 3.5mm don't seem to be too popular here like you say, one reason is they are probably to small to work with in anything other than a straight wire, no 8 wire braids into a 3.5mm end... wink.gif

 

Also there are not many headphones with a removeable cable in 3.5mm...

 

I have repurposed a few 3.5mm cable's for my Ultrasones that I added a socket to, as the bends would NOT come out of the stock Ultrasone wire.

All of my ends here are wood and some just have a little too much lacquer as I got carried away with the dipping... rolleyes.gif

 

Custom 3.5mm's & Ultrasone Mod (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ah, yes, I understand. 

Very nice cables, loving the wooden jacks too!

 

And that socket...man, you did an excellent job! If you hadn't told me that you had changed out the sockets, I would have thought it was the actually part of the headphones!

Looks clean and matches the colour theme of the headphones:) Nice and shiny.


Edited by SkyBleu - 6/11/13 at 9:38pm
post #12 of 61

Thanks SkyBleu!
 

The socket fit exactly in the HFI-780's cable hole with very little modification required.

post #13 of 61

I'm so tempted to start making my own cables. 

post #14 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensy View Post

I'm so tempted to start making my own cables. 

I think you should. Making it yourself would cost heaps less!
post #15 of 61

Here is the conversion I did to my DT880 Pro's...

 

 

A lot harder to work with than the 3.5mm socket that's for sure.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Custom 3.5mm to 3.5mm Cable For Headphones Questions!