or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Beyer DT 880 vs AKG Q701 vs ATH-AD900X vs Grado 225i
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyer DT 880 vs AKG Q701 vs ATH-AD900X vs Grado 225i - Page 2

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaze579 View Post

Also, it seemed that after the first day of listening to them, they'd become a bit flat and unexciting. I don't know why this happened...

Sounds like you might be a good candidate for the Grados. I'd try the SR225i. I liked the Q701s for their smooth mids and highs and big soundstage, but find the more forward mids of the Grados better for all kinds of rock. More engaging. They will also be easy to drive with your Xonar and any portable media player of phone that you have.

You might also be the kind of person that needs to use your budget for two sets of headphones. Many people with wide musical genre tastes find that no one headphone does it all for them.
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaze579 View Post

I have heard of the K702 Anniversary Edition, but not the Pros. The Pros are said to retail for well over 400, and the Ann. Ed. is almost 400 dollars as well!

 

I think that if I want to invest heavily into a headphone, it would be one with planar drivers, like in the HE400. The reason is that those drivers are said to reproduce all genres of music well... at least, people claim they do. Plus, if I buy an AKG, I'll have to fork another hundred eventually for a better amp, while the HE400s are touted to sound great with a small amp.

 

I'm still not sure what I'll end up getting, but the HE400s look pretty sexy atm.

The Xonar DG is a great value and I'm guessing the DG will drive the HE-400 decently.

But you might want to think of adding an external headphone amplifier, to get the best out of the HE-400 (if you get the HE-400)

Ask about the HE-400 on this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread

post #18 of 25

If you haven't made a decision yet i'd say give the Q701's a go again. They do need some burn in too reach their best, but its well worth it. At $200 they are a steal. Nice and neutral with a bit of warmth. For me, the level of detail they retrieve is impossible to beat without spending a good amount more. 

 

Enjoy whatever you decide :)

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post

If you haven't made a decision yet i'd say give the Q701's a go again. They do need some burn in too reach their best, but its well worth it. At $200 they are a steal. Nice and neutral with a bit of warmth. For me, the level of detail they retrieve is impossible to beat without spending a good amount more. 

 

Enjoy whatever you decide :)

You should try the SRH940. Better detail than Q701. However, it can get a little harsh on the 940.

post #20 of 25
Interesting. They are a closed headphone though, correct? Never been a huge fan of closed cans. Maybe I just haven't met one I liked:). Would you say they would be a good compliment to the q701's? I'm very interested in something like that.
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post

Interesting. They are a closed headphone though, correct? Never been a huge fan of closed cans. Maybe I just haven't met one I liked:). Would you say they would be a good compliment to the q701's? I'm very interested in something like that.

SRH940's are closed but have a very good soundstage for a closed can, it feels like open, but of course, not as open as the Q701's. They are *slightly* more detailed than the Q701's but they are bass-light (to me). I wouldn't recommend getting them because they're not really a big upgrade from the Q701's, 

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post

Interesting. They are a closed headphone though, correct? Never been a huge fan of closed cans. Maybe I just haven't met one I liked:). Would you say they would be a good compliment to the q701's? I'm very interested in something like that.

They are indeed closed. There definitely is an upgrade from Q701, but it's not like Q701 to HD800 difference. However, the big difference lies in it's sound sig. 940 is more forward and aggressive with great speed that rivals HD800, while Q701 is bit more laid back. I would pick the 940 over Q701 under any circumstances.

post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post

Interesting. They are a closed headphone though, correct? Never been a huge fan of closed cans. Maybe I just haven't met one I liked:). Would you say they would be a good compliment to the q701's? I'm very interested in something like that.

It depends on what kind of compliment... if you want some more excitement and forwardness, as well as speed, 940 is a great compliment. However, if you want some different signature, like warm headphones, 940 is not the best choice.

post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I'm just sitting here listening to my new HE-400s and

I don't even feel like arranging sentences correctly

Wow. This is what music is supposed to sound like.

biggrin.gif
post #25 of 25

but I heard that they have a dark sound and a bit of a recessed mids but not as recessed as the beyer 990 series.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Beyer DT 880 vs AKG Q701 vs ATH-AD900X vs Grado 225i