Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Looking for an alternative to an iPod
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for an alternative to an iPod - Page 2

post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian005 View Post

Does anyone know why the Fiio X3 isn't in the head gear section or has it not been released yet?
Currently available through http://www.miccastore.com/
post #17 of 28

Here is the short list of non-rockboxed DAPs by price:

 

FiiO X3, $200

Sony F807, $300

AK100, $600

ColorFly C4, $700

iBasso DX100, $900

HiFiMAN HM-901, $1000

AK120, $1300

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

Here is the short list of non-rockboxed DAPs by price:

FiiO X3, $200
Sony F807, $300
AK100, $600
ColorFly C4, $700
iBasso DX100, $900
HiFiMAN HM-901, $1000
AK120, $1300
Colorfly C3? $100
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven View Post


Colorfly C3? $100

Only 8Gb, too small for OP.

post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

Here is the short list of non-rockboxed DAPs by price:

 

FiiO X3, $200

Sony F807, $300

AK100, $600

ColorFly C4, $700

iBasso DX100, $900

HiFiMAN HM-901, $1000

AK120, $1300

 

If you know how to diymod a 5.5g, you don't need to spend more than $150 for a 128GB CF (or SDXC) with choice of your magic caps for a super sounding and the best UI (rockboxed).

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

Only 8Gb, too small for OP.

 

LOL. That's a true audiophile dap, and I am wondering if the SQ has something to do with the GB's.

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

 

If you know how to diymod a 5.5g, you don't need to spend more than $150 for a 128GB CF (or SDXC) with choice of your magic caps for a super sounding and the best UI (rockboxed).

 

 

 

LOL. That's a true audiophile dap, and I am wondering if the SQ has something to do with the GB's.

True, but we are not talking about mods, as the OP can just get the Sansa Clips and rockbox it.  The C3 is good too, but I didn't list it as the X3 will be a better pick, plus there is the C4.  I think the speed of the flash mem has more to do with SQ due to timing, and size does indirectly affect the chip's I/O speed.  Location matters too as people did found SQ difference of onboard flash mem vs. SD cards, and the AK120 trend is full of discussions like this.

post #22 of 28
Unfortunately very few players have specifications similar to Apple's iPod Classic. Most of the suggestions here will involve a lowering of capacity, UI quality and of course the dreaded battery life. Most of the suggestions are an improvement in sound quality however. I would hesitate to suggest Cowon's X7 but it is similar. But high capacity and high quality is rare and usually expensive. A modified 5G (circuit alterations and high capacity HD or TF) might be the answer as long as you can accept shorter battery life. Alternatively you could dispense with any circuit upgrades and just use a SSD/TF which would improve battery life for the 5G but still won't be as good as a 6/7G in terms of battery performance. Flash memory is expensive if you want similar amounts of storage to HDD. If only Fiio made two X3's, one with a 120GB HD for all those HD files, I know which I would chose.
post #23 of 28

Very well put indeed.

post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefelt103 View Post

A modified 5G (circuit alterations and high capacity HD or TF) might be the answer as long as you can accept shorter battery life. Alternatively you could dispense with any circuit upgrades and just use a SSD/TF which would improve battery life for the 5G but still won't be as good as a 6/7G in terms of battery performance. Flash memory is expensive if you want similar amounts of storage to HDD.

I have gone thru extensive mods in and out for many ipod video's. Here are my findings  ....

 

1. Just swapping the stock HDD for a CF card (using an adapter) will greatly improve battery performance. My record for the battery so far has been set at almost 32 hrs of running time with rockbox playing all 16bits/44kHz flac's. On average I would say the battery can easily last from 15 hrs to 20 hrs for playing the flac's.

 

2. A new 128GB CF card can be bought for $120. Add another $20 for an adapter card. So $140 for the 128GB SSD swap is very affordable. You can spend even less ( $100 to $110) for the 128GB ssd swap if using the SDXC with two adapters (SD to CF and then CF to ZIF).

 

3. The direct-out mod (taking the signals from dac directly to the lod pins) with some magic caps could turn your ipod video into a dynamite.

 

4. There are no other daps out there which can challenge the UI's of rockboxed ipod video/classic. In fact, the UI's of rockboxed ipod video/classic put audiophiles' high-end daps to shame.

post #25 of 28

Just to back up my statement on the battery record with a pic. I need to clean my ipod. tongue_smile.gif

 

The actual number of hrs really depends on how often the screen is active and the frequency of wheel clicking and file browsing, etc.

 

 

post #26 of 28
DMinor your battery life is remarkable. How many maH is the battery? I agree that a modified iPod Video is a good way to get excellent UI, excellent sound quality and big capacity for some cost and inconvenience. The batteries are quite small on iPods though and that usually either reduces the duration or the sound quality.
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefelt103 View Post

DMinor your battery life is remarkable. How many maH is the battery? I agree that a modified iPod Video is a good way to get excellent UI, excellent sound quality and big capacity for some cost and inconvenience. The batteries are quite small on iPods though and that usually either reduces the duration or the sound quality.

I need to open the ipod and see the mAh. But it's an old battery from an ipod 60GB I bought from a local Craiglist seller. It's in black color for sure. I couldn't even believe myself this battery is doing so well. I guess each battery runs differently.

 

On battery reducing SQ, I have not noticed this is the case with these ipod video's whether I have 100% battery or 1%.

 

Edit: I am also wondering whether the specific CF card is behind the battery performance. Here is the CF card used in that mod.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Dolgix-128GB-Professional-Blaze6C-Compact/dp/B00AXRQYUU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1UV06U1FVR917&coliid=I3RRTVDBGGYGD


Edited by DMinor - 8/11/13 at 4:02am
post #28 of 28
I didn't mean the sound quality at any degree of charge. I meant as the iPod Video/Classic have relatively small batteries (400-600mah) that limits the designers options. A true audiophile Video might give 2 hours battery duration, as was manufactured 12 hours for quite good sound quality. Or by reducing bass/percussion amplification, reducing detail acrooss the range you might achieve a Cowon/6th gen-like 40 hour duration. Of course battery duration is also affected by other elements like your CF card or a superb battery as well as things that don't affect sound quality.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Looking for an alternative to an iPod