New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D2k vs Sony XB1000

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hi! 

A person I know is selling his stuff. (Needs money to buy an LED etc)

I'm getting the XB1000 for $80 and the D2000 for $150 

 

I'll be powering them using Asus Xonar DG

 

Excellent price for the XB1000's yada yada? Here's the catch: Its audio jack was replaced; it was broken etc due to pressure being exerted on it. 



Now, here's where the choice lies. 

Currently, I have $100 at hand, but, I can arrange a further $50 should the need be. 

Between the two, how would you guys compare them on:

 

-> Sound Quality
-> Comfort

-> Use for long hours 

-> Build Quality

-> Soundstage

-> Leakage (Which one is less)

-> Isolation 

-> Value for money at 80 and 150.

 

Again, advise wisely if $80 for the XB1000 is worth it understanding that it has a jack that has been replaced!

 

I'll be using them primarily for gaming (Battlefield 3 and 4), followed by movies and tv shows and then music. 

 

 

Lastly, yes, I posted in the headphone suggestion thread, but got no response so posting here.


Edited by abbyb11 - 6/7/13 at 9:33am
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyb11 View Post

Hi! 

A person I know is selling his stuff. (Needs money to buy an LED etc)

I'm getting the XB1000 for $80 and the D2000 for $150 

 

I'll be powering them using Asus Xonar DG

 

Excellent price for the XB1000's yada yada? Here's the catch: Its audio jack was replaced; it was broken etc due to pressure being exerted on it. 



Now, here's where the choice lies. 

Currently, I have $100 at hand, but, I can arrange a further $50 should the need be. 

Between the two, how would you guys compare them on:

 

-> Sound Quality
-> Comfort

-> Use for long hours 

-> Build Quality

-> Soundstage

-> Leakage (Which one is less)

-> Isolation 

-> Value for money at 80 and 150.

 

Again, advise wisely if $80 for the XB1000 is worth it understanding that it has a jack that has been replaced!

 

I'll be using them primarily for gaming (Battlefield 3 and 4), followed by movies and tv shows and then music. 

 

 

Lastly, yes, I posted in the headphone suggestion thread, but got no response so posting here.


The full sized headphones recommendation thread was recently closed by management.

 

Short story: the sound signatures of those cans are very different.  If you want a basshead can the XB is the only one that fits.  However, the now discontinued D2000 is an excellent can and a steal at $150, if it's in decent shape.  See:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

post #3 of 13

The AH-D2000 is still considered by some the best closed headphone.  I know I still enjoy mine.  The XB headphones are known for so much bass that over time most people cannot stand the sound signature.

 

Looking at the curves the XB1000 has some serious dips in the frequency response making it simply miss some frequencies.  It also has an issue with the harmonic distortion as it climbs from 100 Hz through 1 kHz.

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRXB1000.pdf

 

The AH-D2000 on the other hand is super flat and continuous from 10 Hz to 1 kHz with no immediate drop off in the treble.  They also distort much less from 100 Hz to 1 kHz which is in the middle of the audible spectrum.

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD2000.pdf


Edited by NA Blur - 6/30/13 at 4:38pm
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

Bump.. Any other opinions?

post #5 of 13

I have no experience with the XB1000's.  What I can say is that I miss the pair of D2K's that I previously owned.  Now that they are discontinued, if I saw a pair for $150, I'd jump all over them. 

 

As for the replaced connector being replaced, as long as it was done by someone who know's what they're doing, it should not be an issue.  As I said though I've never had a pair of this particular can. 
 

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 

At this price range, new Senn HD518's vs used Denon D2000?

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyb11 View Post

At this price range, new Senn HD518's vs used Denon D2000?


Different sound signatures; one is open and one is closed.

 

Ignoring those very important issues, a D2000 in good shape is the better buy.

post #8 of 13
As others have said, it depends on whether you are a basshead. If you are, buy both, keep the XB1000, and sell the D2000 to me for $150. lol The replaced jack is not really a problem. It will probably last longer than the original jack.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Different sound signatures; one is open and one is closed.

 

Ignoring those very important issues, a D2000 in good shape is the better buy.


+1

 

I've never heard those Senn's...I previously owned a pair of HD595's however, and if it's a similar sound signature at all, then I would definitely still go with the D2K's.  Those are the only pair so far that I've sold, that I still wish I hadn't, including higher priced cans.

post #10 of 13

D2000 all the way. 

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 

Having tried both at the guys place, bought the D2000's. What an excellent pair of cans. 

The XB1000 is such a comfy pair though! Almost wanted to buy it. But, the D2000 was in excellent condition so went that way.

post #12 of 13

Excellent choice.  I'm sure you will continue to enjoy them.  I wish I could find a pair for that price. lol
 

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgladwin85 View Post

Excellent choice.  I'm sure you will continue to enjoy them.  I wish I could find a pair for that price. lol
 

The very day I spend all my saved up dough on headphones, my PC dies courtesy a power surge. Meaning, Mobo gone for sure, potentially screwing my processor, GPU and sound card. FML.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home