Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread - Page 34

post #496 of 1539

I believe The Abyss's Mid is not colored and not push-forwarded like some Japanese headphone. The Abyss's mid is Natural, articulate and place right in the layer of the Vocal.

 

The abyss sound signature is different from what I have heard before. It's like listen to the Near field speaker with a sub-woofer. The Bass and Mid and Treble is place in different layer.

 

To be honest, even though I really don't like the Abyss's Look and feel but for the Sonic Quality wise, I decided to buy one!

 

 

PS. Since the price of Abyss is Sky-High, I will sacrifice my 009 to get funds for buy Abyss. I'm sure that I will not regret doing this. 

post #497 of 1539

Since the price of Abyss is Sky-High, I will sacrifice my 009 to get funds for buy Abyss. I'm sure that I will not regret doing this

     That explains everything.  Business_jj and Peeradonn are two elites in Thai head-fi and their opinions has a lot of impact

on me.   However I don't have anything to sell right now  but I will try to audition and will start saving some fund.

post #498 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by business_jj View Post






Again, my friend borrowed my Abyss to compare to his headphone collection.


He affirmed my opinion that other dynamic/planar headphones are in different league, can't compare to quality of Abyss and SR-009 at all even they were upgraded to very expensive cables .


The sources are AURALiC VEGA DAC and Ayre QB9 DSD. He used Leben CS600 as amplifier for electrostatic headphone via electrostatic converter and using adapter for dynamic headphone to connect Abyss to binding post of CS600 for better power.  This means this comparison is quite fair using the same amplifier.

Bass of Abyss is superb, bested all the headphone in the market substantially. This can be called perfect bass, deep, rich, compact, detailed and it's placed in another layer than mid. As well as depth that is second to none, far better than king of sound stage headphone like HD800, SR-009 or even HE-90 (as recalled memory). Tonal balance is very good and quite natural sound signature using tube amplifier. My opinion is if it's paired with solid state amp (I tested with BHA-1) it's a little bit too bright. Details and clarity of SR-009 are still better than Abyss.

The cons of Abyss for him is look and comfortable. He doesn't like external design of Abyss at all. And actually it's quite comfortable headphone even though it's very heavy but still can't against SR-009, HD800 or Fostex TH-900 in term of this.

 

This is one of the worst posts I have come across on head-fi.
Quote:
can't compare to quality of Abyss and SR-009 at all even they were upgraded to very expensive cables

The Abyss's cable is not complimentary. The cable's price accounts for a good chunk of the 5k+ pricetag. Also an expensive cable does not equate to a good cable.
Quote:
This means this comparison is quite fair using the same amplifier.

Nope. This shows that you have zero knowledge of even basic headphone/amp pairing.
Edited by En_R - 8/7/13 at 3:54am
post #499 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiertijai 
That explains everything.  Business_jj and Peeradonn are two elites in Thai head-fi and their opinions has a lot of impact
on me.   However I don't have anything to sell right now  but I will try to audition and will start saving some fund.

That explains nothing. Some guy sells a piece of gear to buy another. Happens all the time.

I don't think we should take prices as indicators of quality. There's a lot of the design process involving what attributes to what portion of the costs. Plus there's a lot of decisions that goes into how each company prices its products. So more expensive is not a guarantee of being 'better'.

More to the point - and I think this is most relevant in this thread - when one gets to totl of anything it's NEVER the case of one being better than others. A Ferrari isn't 'better' than a Porsche or vice versa. In fact the more one goes up the pricing scale, the more one's personal tastes and preferences matter. I'm sure none of the totl headphones do anything dramatically worse or head and shoulder better than others in any particular way, rather each will have its own characteristics which each person will find more/less agreeable depending on the person. My point is that there's nobody more "elite" than you when it comes to choosing hifi gear for yourself. So I wouldn't advise forming opinions just cos someone with lots of expensive gear says so. They may be great guys and have probably listened to a lot of gear, but that really doesn't make their opinions any more or less correct in relation to what you or I will appreciate.

Trust your ears. They're the only hifi component you cannot change, so everything else better get their asses synergized!
Edited by x838nwy - 8/7/13 at 4:35am
post #500 of 1539
X838nwy,

I totally agreed with you. There is no world's best headphone. but instead, there is only headphone you love best!
post #501 of 1539

I say, listen for yourselves before you say which is better than what...

 

I'm open to trying everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Then finding out which I like the most, then praising the hell out of it and getting bashed.

 

(So if there's an HE90 somewhere there I'd like to try it too)

post #502 of 1539

@En_R, x838nwy

    Those are valid points.  I am glad that we are all critical when getting new information.  We have to decide

with our own judgment about new gears whether we should purchase or not purchase, not only the headphone itself

but we also have to consider other factors that influence the decision including our setup, our music preferences, the

sound signature that we like etc.

 

That explains nothing. Some guy sells a piece of gear to buy another. Happens all the time.

      However everything for me is not the same as everything for you.  I have known both of them for some time

to know who they are and how capable they are while you should not know anything about them.  So it is appropriate for

you to say "That explains nothing"   while it is also correct for me to say "That explains everything".   I know that SR009 is his headphone

and for him to decide to sell SR009 for JPS Abyss means (at least for me) that it must be really, really good.  I also said

that they are elites in Thai head-fi. Of course there are many elites here. It is not because they owns a lot of expensive headphones  but because they are really good to discern between the better and the best headphone.  In fact I may have more headphones than they

have but I am not that good.

     That explains everything to me means that I consider that the JPS Abyss has good chance to be in the top 5 of my

headphone collection and I may consider purchasing it.  Because of its high price I questions about the incremental value

comparing to other headphone,  I will make an audition with my own amplifier before making the decision.   

      In fact there are several concerns for me besides the price  e.g. fit and comfort (it seems to me that it behaves like qualia

that we need a perfect fit to get the best sound), matching amplifier with good enough driving power (or speaker amplifier),

and the treble response.  Of course before spending almost 6K  I need to hear it myself and I will use my judgement.
    
 

post #503 of 1539

(So if there's an HE90 somewhere there I'd like to try it too)

      I will try that with the Mal Valve Three.   However it may not be the best setup for HE90.

 

      If Munkong is OK  I have to borrow his JPS Abyss to compare with HE90 + my Aristaeus amplifier. It is too precious

and fragile to carry the Aristaeus amplifier around.

 

      If that's the case I can compare the JPS Abyss with new Jecklin, TakeT H2, HE6, AKG K1000 etc

using the speaker post of my Zotl amplifier and preamplifier in almost identical setup and I can compare

two different phones at the same time.  There are two concerns here : first the adapter cable for the JPS

Abyss may be of inferior quality  (NBS vs Kimber Kable,  NBS does not make 4pin XLR adapter cable)

Second is myself.  I can say which one I like but I should not be able to say which is better or what other people

may like.


Edited by kiertijai - 8/7/13 at 7:00am
post #504 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by En_R View Post

This is one of the worst posts I have come across on head-fi.
 

Why is it so terrible?  It is very similar to my comparison of the newest Ferrari and Lamborghini models.  The Ferrari drove like a charm and was better across the board on acceleration, speed, turn handling - everything.  The Lamborghini seemed to have no "grip" of the road, took forever to accelerate and longer to slow down.  The Ferrari was tested on the Autobahn while the Lamborghini was tested on the very same road in a blizzard.

 

business_jj sells the Abyss by the way.  

post #505 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

business_jj sells the Abyss by the way.  

No matter how nice, unbiased, free of agenda, financially non-interested, non-political we all are, I think this kind of point is important to mention prior to posting comments / reviews...
post #506 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiertijai View Post

@En_R, x838nwy
    Those are valid points.  I am glad that we are all critical when getting new information.  We have to decide
with our own judgment about new gears whether we should purchase or not purchase, not only the headphone itself
but we also have to consider other factors that influence the decision including our setup, our music preferences, the
sound signature that we like etc.

That explains nothing. Some guy sells a piece of gear to buy another. Happens all the time.
      However everything for me is not the same as everything for you.  I have known both of them for some time
to know who they are and how capable they are while you should not know anything about them.  So it is appropriate for
you to say "That explains nothing"   while it is also correct for me to say "That explains everything".   I know that SR009 is his headphone
and for him to decide to sell SR009 for JPS Abyss means (at least for me) that it must be really, really good.  I also said
that they are elites in Thai head-fi. Of course there are many elites here. It is not because they owns a lot of expensive headphones  but because they are really good to discern between the better and the best headphone.  In fact I may have more headphones than they
have but I am not that good.
     That explains everything to me means that I consider that the JPS Abyss has good chance to be in the top 5 of my
headphone collection and I may consider purchasing it.  Because of its high price I questions about the incremental value
comparing to other headphone,  I will make an audition with my own amplifier before making the decision.   
      In fact there are several concerns for me besides the price  e.g. fit and comfort (it seems to me that it behaves like qualia
that we need a perfect fit to get the best sound), matching amplifier with good enough driving power (or speaker amplifier),
and the treble response.  Of course before spending almost 6K  I need to hear it myself and I will use my judgement.

    

 

What the heck are these "elites" you're talking about? I live in Thailand and I must have totally missed these mythical creatures. Are they 'better' at hearing stuff than the rest of us or something? Is one considered an 'elite' if one can hear the difference cable elevators make, for example?

If it appears likely that these will be in your top 5 favorite headphones, that's simply an observation, or may be a realization. How does that qualify as an explanation? Anyway, language/grammar aside, please quote properly. Use [*quote] and [*/quote] tags (without the *'s) - it's getting harder and harder working out which bits are your and which are mine.
post #507 of 1539

What the heck are these "elites" you're talking about? I live in Thailand and I must have totally missed these mythical creatures. Are they 'better' at hearing stuff than the rest of us or something? Is one considered an 'elite' if one can hear the difference cable elevators make, for example?

    I apologize that I know them but I don't know you.  Is that a crime?

 

post #508 of 1539

What the heck are these "elites" you're talking about? I live in Thailand and I must have totally missed these mythical creatures. Are they 'better' at hearing stuff than the rest of us or something? Is one considered an 'elite' if one can hear the difference cable elevators make, for example?

    I apologize that I know them but I don't know you.  Is that a crime?

 

post #509 of 1539
We're here to share our impression on the Abyss. Nothing more, Nothing less. It's not important for who we are, or what we do for living. since you can make decision by yourself that you'll buy abyss or not. If I can give a word of suggest, stop writing and find yourself a chance to test Abyss your self. Then youn can share your impressions with us.
post #510 of 1539

x838nwy, you may wanna chill a little. kiertijai is merely expressing his stance of how he values the comments of his colleagues. It's not gospel.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread