or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Recommendation: Better than V-Moda m100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendation: Better than V-Moda m100

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I got the V-Moda m100 a while back. I've gotta say, I'm not that impressed. It has a little more bass than I'd like. I don't know if I have big ears or what, but they don't fit well. The treble is...odd. It is not as prominent or crisp as I would like. Certain ranges seem to be more prominent than the others (ex: listening to rock, the cymbals are more prominent). Vocals seem a little soft over all. Am I just crazy or what? People seem to be in love with them. Maybe you guys can recommend some "better" cans? 

post #2 of 12

To what kind of source material are you listening?  CD's, vinyl, FLAC files, ALAC files, 192k files, 256k files...(?)

Are you using an amplifier?  If not, into what kind of music player are the headphones plugged?

 

I'm asking these questions because the V Moda's are pretty good cans

and it might be the sound quality of the material going into them that's disappointing you.

post #3 of 12

I don't think the M-100 is really great for the type of music you seem to listen to haha. They are at their best for contemporary music.. For example, I listen to EDM and its perfect for my taste. You are better off with something like the HD600 or HD650 or more similar in price - Momentums. Also check out the HiFiMAN HE400/500. 


Edited by swiftW1nd - 6/4/13 at 10:39pm
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:

To what kind of source material are you listening?  CD's, vinyl, FLAC files, ALAC files, 192k files, 256k files...(?)

Are you using an amplifier?  If not, into what kind of music player are the headphones plugged?

 

I'm asking these questions because the V Moda's are pretty good cans

and it might be the sound quality of the material going into them that's disappointing you.

 

No amp. 320k mp3. Certainly not the best but I still feel like they're lacking mostly in the treble.


Edited by SenorGrumbles - 6/4/13 at 10:49pm
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftW1nd View Post

I don't think the M-100 is really great for the type of music you seem to listen to haha. They are at their best for contemporary music.. For example, I listen to EDM and its perfect for my taste. You are better off with something like the HD600 or HD650 or more similar in price - Momentums. Also check out the HiFiMAN HE400/500. 

I admit that they excel at that genre. My problem I listen to a lot of different genres. 

post #6 of 12

Hmmm

 

I think we need to tighten up the description of what you don't like about them,

and what you would like ideally.

 

(Also, though less important, good headphones deserve at least some amplification IMO and lossless files.

Though many say that 320k files are fine, I respectfully disagree.)

 

You say you want more treble, but that the cymbals are "prominent".

Vocals are "soft".

The physical fit is not great.

 

 

Are open headphones out of the question for your needs?

If not, some closed headphones with enhanced treble are

the Ultrasones - the Model 780 and Pro 750.  You can,

of course, go up from there in their line.  They have

plenty of "zip" in the high end.

 

I'm thinking also that the Shure 940 might be a good choice.

Less bass, better mids, and more treble than the V Moda's.

Nice build qualilty as well.

 

Perhaps some others can jump in here with recommendations

for you. 

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post

To what kind of source material are you listening?  CD's, vinyl, FLAC files, ALAC files, 192k files, 256k files...(?)

Are you using an amplifier?  If not, into what kind of music player are the headphones plugged?

 

I'm asking these questions because the V Moda's are pretty good cans

and it might be the sound quality of the material going into them that's disappointing you.

Also, I ran the music and video through my laptop, phone, ipod, and receiver to get different perspectives

post #8 of 12

I don't think you would like the Ultrasones either, while they have brighter highs, but they also have TONS of bass and considered basshead cans. The 580 may have even more bass than the M-100s. :D 

 

Based on your first post I think the momentum may just work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FldiDmeztik

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftW1nd View Post

I don't think you would like the Ultrasones either, while they have brighter highs, but they also have TONS of bass and considered basshead cans. The 580 may have even more bass than the M-100s. :D 

 

Based on your first post I think the momentum may just work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FldiDmeztik

I was seriously considering the Momentums. It was between them and the m100's. I never actually gave the Momentums a try though. 

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post

Hmmm

 

I think we need to tighten up the description of what you don't like about them,

and what you would like ideally.

 

(Also, though less important, good headphones deserve at least some amplification IMO and lossless files.

Though many say that 320k files are fine, I respectfully disagree.)

 

You say you want more treble, but that the cymbals are "prominent".

Vocals are "soft".

The physical fit is not great.

 

 

Are open headphones out of the question for your needs?

If not, some closed headphones with enhanced treble are

the Ultrasones - the Model 780 and Pro 750.  You can,

of course, go up from there in their line.  They have

plenty of "zip" in the high end.

 

I'm thinking also that the Shure 940 might be a good choice.

Less bass, better mids, and more treble than the V Moda's.

Nice build qualilty as well.

 

Perhaps some others can jump in here with recommendations

for you. 

Agreed, lossless is better. However, I'm just not willing to deal with it. I do want a good pair of open headphones, but that's not what I'm looking for at the moment. Admittedly, I do like a slight increase in mid range. The real problem is at lower volumes. It seems as volume increases, the treble seems to be "significantly" louder while the bass is slightly louder. Or at lower volumes, the bass seems to slightly overwhelm the upper mid and treble. 

post #11 of 12
Having own the Momentum and tried the M100 a few times, I find that the mids in Momentum is more upfront and engaging. But the bass is not as hard-hitting and the treble is a bit rolled-off.
So u might not like the sound sig for a certain genres
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGrumbles View Post

I got the V-Moda m100 a while back. I've gotta say, I'm not that impressed. It has a little more bass than I'd like. I don't know if I have big ears or what, but they don't fit well. The treble is...odd. It is not as prominent or crisp as I would like. Certain ranges seem to be more prominent than the others (ex: listening to rock, the cymbals are more prominent). Vocals seem a little soft over all. Am I just crazy or what? People seem to be in love with them. Maybe you guys can recommend some "better" cans? 
Excuse my gravedigging, but...

What you need is some EQing and FLAC files. If you don't like the sound, that can be changed, but changing the headphone brand changes the customer service and build quality. MIL-STIG quality is quite the rarity.

As I said - if you're on iOS, get an app called CanOpener, it does much more than just EQing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Recommendation: Better than V-Moda m100