I'm finally able to seriously upgrade my portable rig - which for the last years consisted of ER-4P IEMs paired with Cowon S9 (source material being APE and FLAC mostly, some .ogg and .mp3 but not many).
I'll be going for the DX100 on the player side, but wanted to ask for your help/advice with the earphones. I listen to 99% classical music (the other 1% being Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong et al.) - but there it's the full gamut, from 16th century madrigals to the late 20th century (so, vocal, symphonic, piano solo, opera, chamber music etc etc).
I've never actually listened to any serious IEMs besides the Etymotics, and I was overall very happy with their sound (absence of bass on flights/trains/buses being the only significant problem); but from the reviews I read of the top CIEMs, those seem to be far ahead in terms of sound (as well as isolation), so I'm getting me one :-].
What I couldn't understand from the reviews was whether there's a single pair which is considered the best for classical music. Is there one? And if not, could those of you who have listening experiences with classical music/CIEMs share some impressions perhaps?
Soundwise, I'm not sure if I'm looking for complete neutrality. Are the ER-4Ps considered colored? If they are, I think that this is the kind of sound signature which I like (of course, had nothing to compare to, but I have an E-MU 1212m for my desktop setup, and in comparison between the two constantly find the ER-4Ps + Cowon S9 to be slightly warmer, and overall more enjoyable).
Budgetwise, I can go for the UE18 if that's indeed the best option (are there any more expensive options? edit: yes, of course, there are; stupid question. So let's say up to $1,500).
Thanks in advance,
Edited by bgiltburg - 6/4/13 at 9:51pm