The problem is that the stock silver cable is sheathed in a very rigid plastic that has very low flexibility and allows sounds to travel though it - if you're wearing a jumper with a zip, and your cable keep rubbing across the open zip, that's the worst. You just hear this constant gritty sound as the cable slides along the zip teeth. Other cables made of better suited materials can almost completely deaden these microphonics.
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 6/4/13
Related Forum Threads
- Question: LCD 2.2<<HE 500<< LCD 3? Last post on Today at 9:45 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ranking of 17 DACs and DAC Configurations Last post on Today at 10:05 am in Dedicated Source Components
- HE-500 what amp(maybe dac) for $250-350 ? Last post on Yesterday at 8:04 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Yet another HD800 thread... Last post on Today at 4:27 am in Headphones (full-size)
- WTB Hifiman HE-500 with delivery to UK Last post on 12/3/13 at 1:57pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
UE6000 Review I like these headphones. I don’t love them, I just like them. They have a ton of good things going for them like the isolation (freakin’ fantastic passive isolation, maybe better...
I had this earphones for 2 years and I must say, that I was really satisfied with it. With the possibility to change bass you can choose what really fits you and I must say, that the bass was...
A Little Background I currently own Beats Pro and I listen to them on a daily basis. I have previously owned Beats Studios and Beats Solos. I bought all of them from The Source in Ontario and...
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
He500 microphonics - Page 2post #16 of 326/23/13 at 5:42am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 326/23/13 at 6:18ampost #18 of 326/23/13 at 5:16pmQuote:
Thanks for the suggestion, can you please show us how did you do it ?post #19 of 326/23/13 at 5:55pmpost #20 of 326/23/13 at 6:02pmpost #21 of 326/23/13 at 6:15pmpost #22 of 326/24/13 at 12:03ampost #23 of 326/24/13 at 12:19am
When it comes to cables with the HIfiMan planar magnetic, open headphones, I've found the following cables to work best.
1) The standard cable that comes with the HE-4 model. This cable is nylon jacketed with a black weave, similar to black paracord. The cable was nicely constructed and very quiet when it would move as you were listening. However, since a lot of HE-4 headphones were not sold, this cable was harder to come by unless you had purchased a pair of HE-4 headphones. Also, to my knowledge, HIfiMan never offered such a cable for sale.
2) As a 2nd choice, custom is an option. In my case, I went with custom cables using Canare Star Quad cable, covered in a 550 Lb. paracord sheathing. This option provided a very quiet cable option. Plus, in going custom, you have the option of selecting a perfect length, as well as connector / termination (1/4" TRS, 3.5mm TRS, or 4-pin Neutrik - balanced) connectors. These additional connection choices will open up your HifiMan HE-500 headphones for use with more amplifiers -- especially the use of the 4-pin balanced connector, or even a pair of 3-pin balanced connectors - depending on the amplifier.
I've provided a link to my gallery on the HE-500, showing the custom cables that I've used.
Edit: I should also point out that paracord is an excellent sheathing material. Use of TechFlex is not recommended, since it is a much harder nylon / plastic woven sheathing. Some might find that a TechFlex-sheathed cable might exhibit more microphonics than even the standard, braided cable. Plus, TechFlex feels like on has a snake sitting on their chest when the use such a cable with their headphones.
Edited by wje - 6/24/13 at 12:23ampost #24 of 326/24/13 at 12:46ampost #25 of 326/24/13 at 1:09amQuote:
Actually, they were cables that I built myself. The cost with all the materials happened to be under $40, per cable. Granted, not all people can go DIY. However, on the forum there are some great cable builders that will produce cables to spec for a buyer. BTG Cables, Artemis Cables, etc. All are good, smaller operation vendors.post #26 of 326/24/13 at 8:09amQuote:
My mistake. The coil should be easy to make, don't force a small one. 1 inch diameter should work great.post #27 of 326/24/13 at 5:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by wje
Actually, they were cables that I built myself. The cost with all the materials happened to be under $40, per cable. Granted, not all people can go DIY. However, on the forum there are some great cable builders that will produce cables to spec for a buyer. BTG Cables, Artemis Cables, etc. All are good, smaller operation vendors.
Many thanks for the reply WJE, I'll look around for more information for that vendor.
Cheers.post #28 of 327/28/13 at 9:10pm
Microphinics is, like a microphone, when mechanical vibrations are converted into electrical impulses.
The effect in earphones and to a lesser extent headphones is simply the energy of a mechanical wave being directed along a solid path and into a small enclosed space, no electrical impulses are involved at all. It is not microphonics. This misuse of the word has somehow mostly taken hold in the headphone community but can only lead to confusion, since real microphics is an important effect in many high-sensitivity electronics contexts
And to defend myself in advance from acusations of trolling which are not completely untrue.. I do feel it's worth correcting the record on things like this, not to point out how someone is wrong, but to help avoid confusion for future people reading over things. While many message board moderators hate thread necro, the fact is that information lives on on the net and is often stumbled into and believed. In this particular case it's not just an issue of vocabulary but one of real confusion of meaning. When I first read about microphonics in headphone cables my first thought was "can this be a big issue?" Then I realized that for the most part at least microphonics is certainly not what people were actually talking about. So it can cause confusion.
Edited by BiggerHead - 7/28/13 at 9:41pmpost #29 of 327/28/13 at 9:22pmpost #30 of 327/30/13 at 1:32am
Since the word 'microphonics' has been falsely propagated into our vocabulary, what would be a more appropriate single word to describe this effect?
I think something like 'cable vibrations' doesn't accurately describe it.
- He500 microphonics
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 13 seconds ago
- › Help for those of us who have hearing imbalance using Asynchronous... 14 seconds ago
- › New member... 1 minute ago
- › Superlux Express Train 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 3 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 3 minutes ago
- › Do you take good headphones with you when you go out? 4 minutes ago
- › Please Recommend me a affordable Headphone/IEM mainly for... 4 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi