Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 67

post #991 of 3001

Never seen such a layout from a 4-pins XLR confused.gif

post #992 of 3001

We use none of those, we use a 4 pin connector from e-Valuconn.  The plug is the SN-8-4(P)  and the jack is the 
SN-8-4(R).

post #993 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

We use none of those, we use a 4 pin connector from e-Valuconn.  The plug is the SN-8-4(P)  and the jack is the 
SN-8-4(R).


I'll go on record that they are a really nice connector.  Very much like the hirose that iBasso uses, and a really nice connector.

 

EDIT - I said really nice connector twice.  That's redundant.  You can say that again...


Edited by aamefford - 7/31/13 at 11:58am
post #994 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

We use none of those, we use a 4 pin connector from e-Valuconn.  The plug is the SN-8-4(P)  and the jack is the 
SN-8-4(R).

Very cool of you to give us this information. Thanks Dan.

post #995 of 3001

Just a FYI that we have updated our 15-day return policy to support worldwide returns.  Our new policy is very similar to Schiit's.

post #996 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob View Post

Very cool of you to give us this information. Thanks Dan.

 

You're welcome.  BTW, the pinout is:

 

1 L+

2 L-

3 R+

4 R-

 

If you are making a single-ended cable, 2 and 4 are used for ground.

post #997 of 3001

Mad Dogs or Bifrost Uber...

post #998 of 3001

Speaking of balanced cable, I'm a radio guy and it's my understanding you can get the RFI noise reduction benefits of a 4 conductor balanced headphone cable even with a single ended connector at the amp end if you connect the two grounds at the TRS plug and not at the headphone.

 

My thinking is +RFI is picked up on the two positive wires and -RFI is picked up by the two negative wires. The two negative wire signals are combined at the TRS plug but an equal amount of +RFI and -RFI make it to the amp so they cancel out. I understand an amp with a balanced output should keep the two negative signals separate but that shouldn't affect the balanced wire RFI reduction. Opinions?


Edited by robrob - 7/31/13 at 3:53pm
post #999 of 3001
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Mad Dogs or Bifrost Uber...

 

There is only one answer here...both. 

post #1000 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob View Post

Speaking of balanced cable, I'm a radio guy and it's my understanding you can get the RFI noise reduction benefits of a 4 conductor balanced headphone cable even with a single ended connector at the amp end if you connect the two grounds at the TRS plug and not at the headphone.

 

My thinking is +RFI is picked up on the two positive wires and -RFI is picked up by the two negative wires. The two negative wire signals are combined at the TRS plug but an equal amount of +RFI and -RFI make it to the amp so they cancel out. I understand an amp with a balanced output should keep the two negative signals separate but that shouldn't affect the balanced wire RFI reduction. Of course to make this work you couldn't connect the negative signal wires or TRS sleeve to the cable shield so you'd lose the shield's noise rejection which probably makes the whole exercise pointless. Opinions?

 

The RFI is really for line-level signals vs headphone-level, particularly longer runs.  The reason it works for balanced gear is that the two signals are out of phase, so noise that is in-phase on both cancels out.  However, that does not apply to ground/signal pairs as they don't swing in opposition, only the signal voltage is changing and the ground line acts as a sink for the noise, so the noise in the signal can't be cancelled.  

post #1001 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Mad Dogs or Bifrost Uber...

 

There is only one answer here...both. 

Nooo!biggrin.gif

post #1002 of 3001

Sell the O crap and then you'll have enough money for both and a good amp... ( I'm surprised that the mere presence of the Rega in the same room doesn't make the O crap dissolve into a greasy paste... )


Edited by kstuart - 7/31/13 at 2:46pm
post #1003 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

 

However, that does not apply to ground/signal pairs as they don't swing in opposition, only the signal voltage is changing and the ground line acts as a sink for the noise, so the noise in the signal can't be cancelled.  

 

The signal does swing in opposition during its trip to and from the headphone driver through a 4 conductor headphone cable. The line is balanced from the TRS connector at the amp to the headphone where it is subject to RFI--every electron that goes through the + wire goes through an identical - wire in the headphone cable. It would be unbalanced if the negative wire were tied to a common ground bus such as the cable braided shield.

post #1004 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post

Sell the O crap and then you'll have enough money for both and a good amp... ( I'm surprised that the mere presence of the Rega in the same room doesn't make the O crap dissolve into a greasy paste... )

Bought a Bottlehead Crack, and I use the O2/ODAC with my Paradox. 

post #1005 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
 

Bought a Bottlehead Crack, and I use the O2/ODAC with my Paradox. 


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 5:43am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**