Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 54

post #796 of 2871

Thanks, and how much different exactly? Is it so distinct to where the adjustment period would be too much?

post #797 of 2871


It's a good sound-science topic, maybe when I have some time....

+1

 

Ugh, I'm studying for the MCAT right now and the only thing that pops into my head is how the headphones/ear canal would behave as a closed pipe and what that would do to the wavelength of each harmonic... A sound science lesson would be fun though, count me in.

post #798 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

That will tough to do. I'm trying to think of portables that I've tried that are close in signature. I almost bought the mdr-1r, but passed on it so I can't help you there. I recently tried the Momentum and it was nice but different than the MD. It was quite dark and colored on the sub bass...a fun listen though. 

 

You might have an easier time for something similar in a IEM. The vsonic mkii is in the same ballpark and a great IEM at $150. Like the MD it has a whole lotta bang for the buck and competes with IEM's costing 2x as much.

 

gL!!

 

Thanks, earlier on this board I was referred to the W4 for an IEM and it matches extremely well with the MD. I'm just still searching for something over-ear for portable use, and am trying to stick to the same sound signature with all my cans. Even my Annies with their open sound match well with the MDs at home. I will keep searching and will report back once I find it. I know it's out there somewhere... lol. I like my IEMs but I need something to alternate with them that are easier to remove and put back on my head when someone is trying to say something to me,

 

Edit: And yes, I've owned both GR07s (MK2 and BE) and I have to agree the MK2 is in the same ballpark as the MD. I had the BE, however, at the time I purchased the MD... so I sold them and ended up with the W4 rather than going back to the GR07 MK2.


Edited by Change is Good - 7/19/13 at 7:32pm
post #799 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

 

Thanks, earlier on this board I was referred to the W4 for an IEM and it matches extremely well with the MD. I'm just still searching for something over-ear for portable use, and am trying to stick to the same sound signature with all my cans. Even my Annies with their open sound match well with the MDs at home. I will keep searching and will report back once I find it. I know it's out there somewhere... lol. I like my IEMs but I need something to alternate with them that are easier to remove and put back on my head when someone is trying to say something to me,

 

Edit: And yes, I've owned both GR07s (MK2 and BE) and I have to agree the MK2 is in the same ballpark as the MD. I had the BE, however, at the time I purchased the MD... so I sold them and ended up with the W4 rather than going back to the GR07 MK2.

 

What's your price range, Change?

 

If you are looking for something in the 200$ range, check out the Shure SRH-840. They have a similar sound to the MDs. They aren't as balanced, and the bass isn't as impactful... but they have a nice warm/balanced sound. 

post #800 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

What's your price range, Change?

 

If you are looking for something in the 200$ range, check out the Shure SRH-840. They have a similar sound to the MDs. They aren't as balanced, and the bass isn't as impactful... but they have a nice warm/balanced sound. 

 

I've had those before and now that you mention it... I agree with all those things. They are a bit too bulky for my on the go taste, however. It's actually the reason why it's been such a difficult task finding the right ones. I really wish the MDs were more portable but I dig their size and style for use at home... cool.gif

 

I'm willing to spend about $300. PM me with some suggestions if you have any more...

post #801 of 2871

Does anyone remember if there is a 3.1 vs 3.2 comparison in here?  Not the graph or supposed changes, but actual listening impressions?   I'm pretty sure there is, but can't remember if it is in this thread or the closed one and don't know what to search for.

 

Thanks!

post #802 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Edit: And yes, I've owned both GR07s (MK2 and BE) and I have to agree the MK2 is in the same ballpark as the MD. I had the BE, however, at the time I purchased the MD... so I sold them and ended up with the W4 rather than going back to the GR07 MK2.

GR07... On par with the MD? blink.gif

If you don't mind sibilance, sure...

post #803 of 2871

The cleanest iems I've ever heard were the RE-272's.  Amazing, it didn't feel like I was wearing anything.  Then the Mad Dog's took that sound, made it a little warmer, while staying polite.  I love it.

post #804 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

GR07... On par with the MD? blink.gif

If you don't mind sibilance, sure...

 

That is why I sold them both and ended up with the Westone 4... to be "on par" with the MD. I forgot to mention that the GR07 MK2 was too sibilant and the BE was a little bloated and muddied up its mids. The Mk2 is in the same ballpark, but not quite on par because of that sibilance.

 

Greed introduced me to the W4 and I have been extremely pleased ever since. It's an easy transition between the MD at home at W4 on the go.


Edited by Change is Good - 7/20/13 at 12:07am
post #805 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

GR07... On par with the MD? blink.gif

If you don't mind sibilance, sure...

 

That is why I sold them both and ended up with the Westone 4... to be "on par" with the MD. I forgot to mention that the GR07 MK2 was too sibilant and the BE was a little bloated and muddied up its mids. The Mk2 is in the same ballpark, but not quite there because of that sibilance.

 

Greed introduced me to the W4 and I have been extremely pleased ever since. It's an easy transition between the MD at home at W4 on the go.

How's the high frequency extension on the W4s though?

I bought the UE900s and while I can't say they're as neutral as the MDs (though I haven't tried modding them) they are sorta what I wanted in an IEM, so I guess I'll stick with them for now and start saving for that college thing that's less than two months away now... rolleyes.gif

post #806 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

How's the high frequency extension on the W4s though?

I bought the UE900s and while I can't say they're as neutral as the MDs (though I haven't tried modding them) they are sorta what I wanted in an IEM, so I guess I'll stick with them for now and start saving for that college thing that's less than two months away now... rolleyes.gif

 

Someone had mentioned the UE900s to me but I went with Greed's suggestion, instead. I am the wrong person to ask about frequency extensions, lol. Compared to the MDs I have no complaints about the highs. I can say that they are about as neutral and similar to the MDs as I could get... so I won't be looking for anymore IEMs anytime soon.

 

Now, a portable over ear/on ear is another story... I'm still searching for that MD sound sig match...

post #807 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

How's the high frequency extension on the W4s though?

I bought the UE900s and while I can't say they're as neutral as the MDs (though I haven't tried modding them) they are sorta what I wanted in an IEM, so I guess I'll stick with them for now and start saving for that college thing that's less than two months away now... rolleyes.gif

 

Someone had mentioned the UE900s to me but I went with Greed's suggestion, instead. I am the wrong person to ask about frequency extensions, lol. Compared to the MDs I have no complaints about the highs. I can say that they are about as neutral and similar to the MDs as I could get... so I won't be looking for anymore IEMs anytime soon.

 

Now, a portable over ear/on ear is another story... I'm still searching for that MD sound sig match...

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to try and listen to some at a meet eventually...

I have heard the Fitear TG334 has a very LCD2-esque sound to it, but alas I haven't heard them.

post #808 of 2871

Hopefully, Greed sees this and he can give you better impressions than I can. Or just search a few pages back and you can see what he told me...


Edited by Change is Good - 7/20/13 at 12:20am
post #809 of 2871

Just finished the cable for the Emotiva a-100 so I could hook up the Mad Dogs with it. Made the one cable mistake I tell myself not to do every time: Put the connector enclosure on before you solder. Somehow I managed to flub that and had to desolder/resolder. 

 

To the point -- It sounds F***ing fantastic with the Mad Dogs! 

 

It's an interesting change from my Magni. Going to have it setup at today's LA meet on Hiyono & Azynneo's table if anyone wants to give it a try with their Orthos. 

post #810 of 2871
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NTAL View Post

Does anyone remember if there is a 3.1 vs 3.2 comparison in here?  Not the graph or supposed changes, but actual listening impressions?   I'm pretty sure there is, but can't remember if it is in this thread or the closed one and don't know what to search for.

 

Thanks!

 

Mad Lust Envy did this very comparison. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. By memory he basically said that the mids and the bass flip flopped. While I agree with that general premise, it wasn't that black and white for me. The bass is certainly richer and carries more weight....remains linear with great texture. I just didn't hear much loss of the mids. The MD still remained wonderfully balanced and true to the recording. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**