Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 52

post #766 of 2954

I suppose the issues aren't with the headphones themselves.  I didn't expect them to be so resolving.  The HD650's kind of mask everything.  I stream a lot of online content, some hd and some not, some 320kbps and lossless but google play loves to save their bandwidth and there-in lies the issue, sometimes I get crap source material when it's listed as hd.  Otherwise, they're fine headphones, I don't find them dark at all.

post #767 of 2954

I concur with the others that I have never experienced any shrillness or harshness. If anything the Mad Dogs lean towards dark.

post #768 of 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by martybm5 View Post

I concur with the others that I have never experienced any shrillness or harshness. If anything the Mad Dogs lean towards dark.

I always thought they leaned towards dark as well or maybe its just what I associate with the ortho sound.
post #769 of 2954
IMO There's no doubt that they lean towards the dark side, but it's much less that i thought it would be after reading the reviews.
post #770 of 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxa View Post

IMO There's no doubt that they lean towards the dark side, but it's much less that i thought it would be after reading the reviews.

 

 

Same with me.  Much less than one would expect.  The 3.2 are not as dark as the ones I had before.  (Dog Pads)

post #771 of 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post


Same with me.  Much less than one would expect.  The 3.2 are not as dark as the ones I had before.  (Dog Pads)


how about with the shure pads?
post #772 of 2954

I didn't even like the shure pads that much.  I had the Paradox with the shure pads as well.  I sent my Mad Dogs back to Dan to get the Dog Pads put on.  At the time it was an improvement.

post #773 of 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I didn't even like the shure pads that much.  I had the Paradox with the shure pads as well.  I sent my Mad Dogs back to Dan to get the Dog Pads put on.  At the time it was an improvement.

I never had the dog pads but these alpha pads blow the shure pads out of the water for sure
post #774 of 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiya View Post

I suppose the issues aren't with the headphones themselves.  I didn't expect them to be so resolving.  The HD650's kind of mask everything.  I stream a lot of online content, some hd and some not, some 320kbps and lossless but google play loves to save their bandwidth and there-in lies the issue, sometimes I get crap source material when it's listed as hd.  Otherwise, they're fine headphones, I don't find them dark at all.

I actually agree with you. While the Mad Dogs are dark overall it does have edgy treble at times. The problem presents itself almost randomly in certain tracks. I know it's weird because how can a dark headphone have annoying treble, but this problem also occurs in the LCD-2. There is a edginess/roughness to the treble at certain times while the phones are very dark overall. Weird, but this is how I experience it with my Mad Dog 3.1 and LCD-2 R2.

 

Just to be clear this "problem" isn't all that noticeable or a big deal. The Mad Dogs are amazing at their price point and you just have give up some things at this price point. But it did bother me so I have to be honest and agree with Uchiya.

 

Just wanted to add that Dan's a super nice guy and it was pleasure to audition the Mad Dogs. Might even get the balanced 3.2 if finances allow in the future. Would love to try it on my Emotiva.


Edited by M-13 - 7/18/13 at 5:48pm
post #775 of 2954

I just can't imagine anyone thinking the LCD-2.2 treble is edgey/grainy...

 

I guess we all hear different, in this case very different. rolleyes.gif

post #776 of 2954

There is a bit of hardness and aggressiveness to the lcd2 treble.  It's not as nimble and soft as some other open headphones I've heard.  For example, both he-400 and dt990 have a softer treble, even though their treble responses are way more elevated in comparison.

post #777 of 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

There is a bit of hardness and aggressiveness to the lcd2 treble.  It's not as nimble and soft as some other open headphones I've heard.

+1

 

I actually preferred the Q701s to the LCD-2. I'm incapable of explaining exactly why but I felt the Q701 offered a smoother treble... In addition to the wider soundstage, I imagine that's why I sold the LCD-2s.

post #778 of 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanOfIsrael View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

There is a bit of hardness and aggressiveness to the lcd2 treble.  It's not as nimble and soft as some other open headphones I've heard.

+1

 

I actually preferred the Q701s to the LCD-2. I'm incapable of explaining exactly why but I felt the Q701 offered a smoother treble... In addition to the wider soundstage, I imagine that's why I sold the LCD-2s.

Q701... Smoother treble... blink.gif

The treble sounds really artificial compared to the MDs and my Stax.

post #779 of 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

I just can't imagine anyone thinking the LCD-2.2 treble is edgey/grainy...

 

I guess we all hear different, in this case very different. rolleyes.gif

 

I agree E..  To me the treble of the LCD-2.2 is shelved.  I need to turn the volume up to get at the level I want.  IMO the treble of the HE-400s are opposite, something like Miles Davis Trumpet would be very hard.  The treble of the HE-500s are very smooth but still can bite a tad bit.  I find the treble of the Mad Dogs to play in the same ball park as the HE-500s with out the bite.

post #780 of 2954

its gotta do with the setup...or that gritty cd...popcorn.gif

the maddog i auditioned was childproofed, no cutting edges...on the ears.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**