Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 40

post #586 of 2885

I really liked the finish on Preproman's phones when we upgraded them.  A nice brick-red, the photo didn't do it justice.

post #587 of 2885
I must agree with the alpha pads having too small of an opening for my earlobes, but then again the HD800 is the only phone that wasn't too small for my ears tongue.gif
Overall the size is good enough for me honestly. The HD800 didn't feel like it sealed very well on my ears though and wasn't necessarily comfortable to me.
So yeah, to me the comfort on the MDs is supreme.
post #588 of 2885
Is it possible to get the Maddogs with a similar finish Dan?
post #589 of 2885

^ And if so, can we current owners send ours in for a similar finish and at what price tag?

post #590 of 2885
Thread Starter 

AFAIK, Dan only offers sticker changes for cosmetic alteration. No repaints that I know of. 

post #591 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

Well I sort of lump instrument placement and separation along with depth, width, and height when evaluating sound stage. If you look at those two things as something different than that's cool. Even though the lcd has a small soundstage the instrument separation and placement is top notch in my books.

 

I also saw your stop rumors sign.tongue.gif I'm cool with that but if your gonna do that to me I think you got your work cut out for ya. I don't even have to switch headphones before I can find a much  worse rumor going around.

 

There's quite a few people talking about their $800 SE cable transforming their lcd-2. It is scientifically proven dynamics do many times better with a re-cable than planar and if I barely notice a dif. on my dynamic re-cable than the dif. on a planar is literally going to be zilch no matter how much you spend on it. This is why I'm absolutely in love with dan's approach on his new cables. If you wan claim that your $800 SE lcd cable is badass looking or ergonomically the bees knees have at it, but to claim any sq improvements is def. rumor spreading and at least to me much worse than what I said.

 

Air on the mad dog is excellent I will agree with you on that. Not quite lcd level but probably the closest category between the two sound wise.

 

 

Every last headphone I've had have been re cabled.  While I always talk about how good they look and feel.  I never said anything about a SQ difference.  I hope that wasn't geared towards me. That's more of the Toxic cable folks.

post #592 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post

Hi Preproman, to be frank, the reason why I brought this up, is due to the fact that you are one of the posters here who I value and respect your opinions and views quite a lot and I always enjoy reading your reviews and your sharing. I really can tell that you love the music headphones bring to you, given your enthusiasm in exploring new gears. That's why I thought I need to clarify if the difference in my opinions and yours is due to the fact that you may have forgotten how LCD-2 sound. Seriously, I enjoy my mad dogs very much, and given its price, it is definitely one of the best closed headphones around and I will not hesitate to recommend the mad dogs to anyone who is looking for a pair of closed headphone, just that I am not sure it is that good enough sound wise to better lcd-2. However, in terms of comfort, mad dogs over lcd-2 by a mile :)

 

 

Cool Froger.   Glad your enjoying your headphones / music.

 

beerchug.gif

post #593 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

There are many variables that contribute to fit and form, it's quite hard to get right and not at all easy and it has a big impact on comfort.  I'm happy with where the pads are, but nothing is perfect for everyone.  

 

I am always open to ideas and input, but I am concerned about the thread wandering OT, and I think specifications for non-existant pads is pretty OT, so if anyone has further suggestions I ask you to PM me instead.

 

 

I don't think talk of the alpha pads is off-topic at all.  It fully has to do with the mad dogs themselves.  While we're on critique, I did mention that the mad dogs would possibly benefit if you used black screws instead of silver to attach the comfort strap, and filed down the 'lock' over the cable jack on the side.

 

Just throwing suggestions out there.

post #594 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

Is it possible to get the Maddogs with a similar finish Dan?

 Sorry, no...

post #595 of 2885

Just got the Alpha pads and put them on my ATH-A900x...

Wow.

They feel -amazing- compared to stock pads.

I think they might have recessed the treble a bit, but everything sounds great.

 

However, I noticed my drivers -and- the pads are angled; is this alright, or should I look into other pads?

I mean, when it's all said and done, the personal enjoyment matters most, and I don't really have a problem with this, but would other pads be "better" or is the double angled not an issue?

post #596 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHU View Post

Just got the Alpha pads and put them on my ATH-A900x...

Wow.

They feel -amazing- compared to stock pads.

I think they might have recessed the treble a bit, but everything sounds great.

 

However, I noticed my drivers -and- the pads are angled; is this alright, or should I look into other pads?

I mean, when it's all said and done, the personal enjoyment matters most, and I don't really have a problem with this, but would other pads be "better" or is the double angled not an issue?

I have a feeling the double angle may be the cause of your recessed treble since higher frequency's are more directional.  But like you say in the end it comes down to your enjoyment of the sound so keep them if you prefer that sound sig.

post #597 of 2885

Anyone use these for gaming? Do they have good soundstage and positioning for games?

post #598 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Anyone use these for gaming? Do they have good soundstage and positioning for games?

 

I believe MLE has a review of them in his Gaming Guide. He talks about the characteristics that are most important for a good gaming headphone.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-23-2013-mrspeakers-mad-dog-v-3-2-reviewed

post #599 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post


I think trimming your ears so that they fit inside the pads is a better option. Painful at the beginning but should be fine in the long run.
You'd be compatible with many more headphones...
Those with big ears are struck with sennheisers or AKGs... Cruel world indeed B-)

 

Ah yes why didn't I think of that earlier.

post #600 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Ah yes why didn't I think of that earlier.

 

Sometimes the most obvious answers are the last to pop into our heads.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**