Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 190

post #2836 of 2932

Thanks Dan for looking into that, that really puts me at ease. I do want to say that the thing that stands out most for these headphones is detail and instrument separation/placement. That is still impressive, even with this under powered amp.

post #2837 of 2932

FWIW, my Mad Dog (even v3.2) had strident, peaky highs. Somehow I got used to this at first and didn't really notice it until coming back to them after months of trying out other, more neutral headphones. I whipped up my own front damping tweaks, utilizing my own version of a "dot" tweak and a few other things, and it made a world of difference. Certainly worth considering if you want smoother, more relaxed highs. Dan's solution works well if you're not the DIY type.

 

A better DAC/amp may help in the end as well, but I do believe most of what you mentioned is simply inherent to the Mad Dog (and other T50RP mod variants).

post #2838 of 2932
I get smooth and relaxed highs from Mad Dog stock (with Alpha pads and well amped)
post #2839 of 2932

I got myself a pair for the office for the comfort and isolation (and sound obviously). Straight out of my laptop they sounded strangely sibilant and fatiguing so I figured I needed an external solution and found a second hand uDAC2 (32€!!) and it works marvelously. Would recommend for anyone looking for a cheap, compact solution for the Dawgs.

post #2840 of 2932

Hi all, just received a (secondhand) pair of Mad Dog 3.2s from a fellow Head-Fi'er and having been previously underwhelmed by short auditions at meets, I am really impressed now that I'm getting to know the Mad Dogs - very nice!!

post #2841 of 2932

was wondering if anyone can tell me how the mad dogs 3.2 compare to vmoda m100

 

I owned the mad dogs and sold them to get the audeze and I figured it has way less bass so I am in search for an audiophile headphone, and because i know the sound sig of mad dog can anyone tell me if the vmoda is an upgrade or downgrade is I am looking for full bass, warm, detailed sound without the shouty mids and highs

post #2842 of 2932
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post

was wondering if anyone can tell me how the mad dogs 3.2 compare to vmoda m100

I owned the mad dogs and sold them to get the audeze and I figured it has way less bass so I am in search for an audiophile headphone, and because i know the sound sig of mad dog can anyone tell me if the vmoda is an upgrade or downgrade is I am looking for full bass, warm, detailed sound without the shouty mids and highs
Not a comparison really, but he reviews both.
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/01/05/sub-500-closed-back-headphone-roundup/

I would say the m100 is probably a downgrade. Judging by reviews of d600 vs m100 and d600 vs Mad Dog.

Edit: completely forgot to link the page aha.
Edited by Hapster - 7/26/14 at 12:38am
post #2843 of 2932
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
 

was wondering if anyone can tell me how the mad dogs 3.2 compare to vmoda m100

 

I owned the mad dogs and sold them to get the audeze and I figured it has way less bass so I am in search for an audiophile headphone, and because i know the sound sig of mad dog can anyone tell me if the vmoda is an upgrade or downgrade is I am looking for full bass, warm, detailed sound without the shouty mids and highs

Are you saying that the audeze or the mad dogs have less bass? Because if its the former, that's not true, as the lcd-2s have very good sub-bass response, but less of a mid-bass hump; which is probably what you were hearing.

 

According to the graphs, the m100 should have slightly peakier treble than the mad dogs, but less mids at the same time.


Edited by kinger2005 - 7/25/14 at 11:02pm
post #2844 of 2932
My daughter was very impressed with the Mad Dogs as she listened to her favorite tracks from the Frozen soundtrack. No idea how those got on my X3. 😏

post #2845 of 2932
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinger2005 View Post
 

Are you saying that the audeze or the mad dogs have less bass? Because if its the former, that's not true, as the lcd-2s have very good sub-bass response, but less of a mid-bass hump; which is probably what you were hearing.

 

According to the graphs, the m100 should have slightly peakier treble than the mad dogs, but less mids at the same time.

so which frwuencies should i raise for good mid bass on audeze

post #2846 of 2932
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post

so which frequencies should i raise for good mid bass on audeze

All of them.
post #2847 of 2932
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
 

so which frwuencies should i raise for good mid bass on audeze


I don't really know what to tell you, as the lower end response of the lcd2 is already one the best sounding, dark headphones out there. Maybe 50hz-300hz like the xcs? Or just turn it to 11 on the lower end, like Hapster said.

 

On another note. Serious question. Have you ever considered beats? If you need that much lower end emphasis.


Edited by kinger2005 - 7/26/14 at 10:54pm
post #2848 of 2932
Has anyone replaced their 'stock' cable on their
MD's with an aftermarket cable? If so, who makes one for the MD's and what are your impressions?

Thanks, Jeff
post #2849 of 2932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chui View Post

Has anyone replaced their 'stock' cable on their
MD's with an aftermarket cable? If so, who makes one for the MD's and what are your impressions?

Thanks, Jeff

Which version? With the new connector or 3.5mm?

I made one a long while ago with a right-angled 3.5mm plug. It was a copper cable. I've also listened with silver cables I've made for other purposes. Not really worth the money, especially from a boutique cable company. You'll end up spending almost the cost of the can for minimal gain of any.

The Vmoda audio cable that Dan ships with them gets the job done: Light, flexible, feels good and sounds good.

Now, if you need a cable for a very specific length, weight, and/or style, then that is a good reason to justify the money. If you have the universal connector version, then there are lots of options. If you have the 3.5mm then it's a pain because most plugs will need to be modified to fit.
Brian at BTG-audio is a good place to start and not end up emptying your wallet.
Alternatively, you could commission a member that makes cables. Lots of guys do here and one might be willing.
post #2850 of 2932

I just received my O2/ODAC combo and hooked up my Mad Dogs to them. :beyersmile: I'm quite happy now!

 

It's now very clear how poorly the uDac2 were driving the Mad Dogs. The highs are not nearly as strident, bass is much more in control and present. Mids/vocals are glorious, everything just improved.

I suggest listening to this song with your Mad Dogs if you got them. (and especially if you have the O2/ODAC combo) I do notice though, how revealing the Mad Dogs are now, you really need to have quality recordings to enjoy them.

 

M Ward - Undertaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK4TiglUd5E

 

*edit* This album may be even better to demonstrate how good the Mad Dogs can sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pZSQ3NOXbQ


Edited by goober-george - 7/30/14 at 11:16am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**