Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 177

post #2641 of 2871
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboy76 View Post

Demoing the md3.2, mdp and alpha pro now. Impressions soon...

 

Looking forward to it. 

post #2642 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

Looking forward to it. 

Hey Matt how do you like the MDP compared to the HD 650?

post #2643 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboy76 View Post

Demoing the md3.2, mdp and alpha pro now. Impressions soon...

what alpha pro where did u get this as I can't find apha pro from mr speakers

post #2644 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigim101 View Post
 


You can read it here http://www.head-fi.org/t/712277/zmf-headphones-appreciation-thread-zmf-zpex-v-2-review-and-tour

 

Once you get to the third package I believe you have to get the gold re jack and an upgraded cable, and they only work with the gold re-jack or XLR. He got two cables, the ALO SPC and the ALO Copper.

 

 

To grizzlybeast: Would you say the MD Pro is more suited to rock/hip hop and faster paced music and the ZMF better for acoustic and classical music? Are the MD Pros harder to drive than the MD 3.2?

MD Pro is a little better for EDM/hiphop but that is still not accurate cause I played a song yesterday that I preferred on the ZMF. Overall its close though I would say you are right the ZMF is better for acoustic. The MD PRO and MD3.2 are the same in amp needs.

 

I will compare them soon song to song and see and take notes I just havent had time. 

post #2645 of 2871
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsprayer View Post
 

Hey Matt how do you like the MDP compared to the HD 650?

 

They are closer than you might think. While the MDP is certainly not a closed 650 by any means, they are in the same ballpark. The MDP has more true sub bass for sure. With two dots and one felt disk on each driver the "darkness" of mids and treble are pretty close. 

post #2646 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

They are closer than you might think. While the MDP is certainly not a closed 650 by any means, they are in the same ballpark. The MDP has more true sub bass for sure. With two dots and one felt disk on each driver the "darkness" of mids and treble are pretty close. 

is that an obedience kit. I need to look into that. I dont have that stuff. 

post #2647 of 2871
Thread Starter 

^^ Yes it is. And I like it a lot.

post #2648 of 2871
If I get the ad and find it bright then I may get it but as is the Md Pro treble is close to dark
post #2649 of 2871

for those that asked MD pro vs ZMF v.2 alo cryo copper w/mogami:

 

I didnt revisit this and do a comparison dead on again because I am a bit focused elsewhere with my time lately. But i totally get trying to choose between. I said the MD Pro was  better overall but I have a harder time selling the ZMF because I like its full mids and things the Pro can do well I can find in another headphone if I want to keep both. Also the sound changes a whole lot with the ZMF and alpha pads. I think I am going to pit stop at the th600 and then make my way to a black AD cause it looks so sexy.

 

ZMF ZPEX V.2
 
  • louder
  • more reverb(barely)
  • stronger center image, 
  • easier to drive,
  • less murky at the same volume cant say this vs the PRO
  • a lot more close and intimate 
  • more realistic
  • better for acoustic music
  • great midrange focus the vocals even preferred at times to the MD PRO with a very striking presence, as well as pianos etc
  • loud music less tolerable
  • slower / not quite as fast as the MD 3.2 or PRO
  • sometimes it seems more  clear on certain songs

overall a more juicy, forward and robust sound than the MD PRO

 

MAD DOG 3.2  MD PRO(somethings will scratch off because of the MD pros refinement over the MD 3.2)
  • more even balanced across the spectrum
  • less sharp in the cymbols easier on the ears
  • slightly more grainy and less smooth 
  • a little more bass and better impact
  • lower mids less prominent as well as upper mids
  • more sound stage depth and its natural whereas the 3.2 wasnt as natural to me in soundstage.
  • more comfortable
  • better for hip hop
  • drier or less wet and less resonance but more plastic in timbre  The pro is pretty good in timbre I like it a lot
  • better on loud music
  • more comfortable
  • cleaner mod
  •  

After thinking about it there is not much change to my comparison of the ZMF to the MD 3.2 when changing to the Pro. The pro has the cleaner less grainy sound and is a little more realistic than the MD 3.2 and I dont feel it as plastic in the timbre(something I would barely say about the 3.2) I feel the added soundstage and cleaner sound of the pro is worth it over the 3.2. My personal preference for the ZMF comes at the sacrifice of my dislike of the hm5 pads but once I put alpha pads on them it lost its robust sound as it wasnt tuned for them. That sound to me is kinda priceless no matter what things the Pro does better. So still the Pro is overall better when I itemize qualities but I am a midrange head. The Pro midrange is good and balanced, just not juicy like I like it. The Pro is like a more mature balanced strong sound with weighty punch. The ZMF is more of a round, lush sound and I forget about its technicalities because it is extremely musical. It has details etc and maybe only a slight less than the pro(need to head em up to be sure but wont cause Im tired) but it loses in soundstage and reverb/decay. 

 

Its really a matter of preference. If making a recommendation I would be torn between recommending what I like and what I believe is the overall recommendation for the average listener. I can say that the fact that the MD pro has better soundstage,speed, and even balance may make it more likable to those who prefer balance with bass weight. Whereas the ZMF is the recommendation for the midcentric kinda guys like me. I wish I could combine the pros of both into one headphone.


Edited by grizzlybeast - 4/7/14 at 8:19pm
post #2650 of 2871

With all the talk about LCD fazor diver upgrade ($250 and shipping 2 ways), I really thanks that Dan offer a very minimal upgrade price on my Mad Dog since I bought the 2.0 version. I can't complain about his services (constant update,thoughtful input, after sales services) and excellent pricing. 

 

post #2651 of 2871
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

for those that asked MD pro vs ZMF v.2 alo cryo copper w/mogami:

 

I didnt revisit this and do a comparison dead on again because I am a bit focused elsewhere with my time lately. But i totally get trying to choose between. I said the MD Pro was  better overall but I have a harder time selling the ZMF because I like its full mids and things the Pro can do well I can find in another headphone if I want to keep both. Also the sound changes a whole lot with the ZMF and alpha pads. I think I am going to pit stop at the th600 and then make my way to a black AD cause it looks so sexy.

 

ZMF ZPEX V.2
 
  • louder
  • more reverb(barely)
  • stronger center image, 
  • easier to drive,
  • less murky at the same volume cant say this vs the PRO
  • a lot more close and intimate 
  • more realistic
  • better for acoustic music
  • great midrange focus the vocals even preferred at times to the MD PRO with a very striking presence, as well as pianos etc
  • loud music less tolerable
  • slower / not quite as fast as the MD 3.2 or PRO
  • sometimes it seems more  clear on certain songs

overall a more juicy, forward and robust sound than the MD PRO

 

MAD DOG 3.2  MD PRO(somethings will scratch off because of the MD pros refinement over the MD 3.2)
  • more even balanced across the spectrum
  • less sharp in the cymbols easier on the ears
  • slightly more grainy and less smooth 
  • a little more bass and better impact
  • lower mids less prominent as well as upper mids
  • more sound stage depth and its natural whereas the 3.2 wasnt as natural to me in soundstage.
  • more comfortable
  • better for hip hop
  • drier or less wet and less resonance but more plastic in timbre  The pro is pretty good in timbre I like it a lot
  • better on loud music
  • more comfortable
  • cleaner mod
  •  

After thinking about it there is not much change to my comparison of the ZMF to the MD 3.2 when changing to the Pro. The pro has the cleaner less grainy sound and is a little more realistic than the MD 3.2 and I dont feel it as plastic in the timbre(something I would barely say about the 3.2) I feel the added soundstage and cleaner sound of the pro is worth it over the 3.2. My personal preference for the ZMF comes at the sacrifice of my dislike of the hm5 pads but once I put alpha pads on them it lost its robust sound as it wasnt tuned for them. That sound to me is kinda priceless no matter what things the Pro does better. So still the Pro is overall better when I itemize qualities but I am a midrange head. The Pro midrange is good and balanced, just not juicy like I like it. The Pro is like a more mature balanced strong sound with weighty punch. The ZMF is more of a round, lush sound and I forget about its technicalities because it is extremely musical. It has details etc and maybe only a slight less than the pro(need to head em up to be sure but wont cause Im tired) but it loses in soundstage and reverb/decay. 

 

Its really a matter of preference. If making a recommendation I would be torn between recommending what I like and what I believe is the overall recommendation for the average listener. I can say that the fact that the MD pro has better soundstage,speed, and even balance may make it more likable to those who prefer balance with bass weight. Whereas the ZMF is the recommendation for the midcentric kinda guys like me. I wish I could combine the pros of both into one headphone.

 

Nice review. I have not heard the zmf but it seems that the MDP would be better suited for me based on my preferences. 

post #2652 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

for those that asked MD pro vs ZMF v.2 alo cryo copper w/mogami:

 

I didnt revisit this and do a comparison dead on again because I am a bit focused elsewhere with my time lately. But i totally get trying to choose between. I said the MD Pro was  better overall but I have a harder time selling the ZMF because I like its full mids and things the Pro can do well I can find in another headphone if I want to keep both. Also the sound changes a whole lot with the ZMF and alpha pads. I think I am going to pit stop at the th600 and then make my way to a black AD cause it looks so sexy.

 

ZMF ZPEX V.2
 
  • louder
  • more reverb(barely)
  • stronger center image, 
  • easier to drive,
  • less murky at the same volume cant say this vs the PRO
  • a lot more close and intimate 
  • more realistic
  • better for acoustic music
  • great midrange focus the vocals even preferred at times to the MD PRO with a very striking presence, as well as pianos etc
  • loud music less tolerable
  • slower / not quite as fast as the MD 3.2 or PRO
  • sometimes it seems more  clear on certain songs

overall a more juicy, forward and robust sound than the MD PRO

 

MAD DOG 3.2  MD PRO(somethings will scratch off because of the MD pros refinement over the MD 3.2)
  • more even balanced across the spectrum
  • less sharp in the cymbols easier on the ears
  • slightly more grainy and less smooth 
  • a little more bass and better impact
  • lower mids less prominent as well as upper mids
  • more sound stage depth and its natural whereas the 3.2 wasnt as natural to me in soundstage.
  • more comfortable
  • better for hip hop
  • drier or less wet and less resonance but more plastic in timbre  The pro is pretty good in timbre I like it a lot
  • better on loud music
  • more comfortable
  • cleaner mod
  •  

After thinking about it there is not much change to my comparison of the ZMF to the MD 3.2 when changing to the Pro. The pro has the cleaner less grainy sound and is a little more realistic than the MD 3.2 and I dont feel it as plastic in the timbre(something I would barely say about the 3.2) I feel the added soundstage and cleaner sound of the pro is worth it over the 3.2. My personal preference for the ZMF comes at the sacrifice of my dislike of the hm5 pads but once I put alpha pads on them it lost its robust sound as it wasnt tuned for them. That sound to me is kinda priceless no matter what things the Pro does better. So still the Pro is overall better when I itemize qualities but I am a midrange head. The Pro midrange is good and balanced, just not juicy like I like it. The Pro is like a more mature balanced strong sound with weighty punch. The ZMF is more of a round, lush sound and I forget about its technicalities because it is extremely musical. It has details etc and maybe only a slight less than the pro(need to head em up to be sure but wont cause Im tired) but it loses in soundstage and reverb/decay. 

 

Its really a matter of preference. If making a recommendation I would be torn between recommending what I like and what I believe is the overall recommendation for the average listener. I can say that the fact that the MD pro has better soundstage,speed, and even balance may make it more likable to those who prefer balance with bass weight. Whereas the ZMF is the recommendation for the midcentric kinda guys like me. I wish I could combine the pros of both into one headphone.

How do you like the pilot pad in comparison to the MDP leather strap?

post #2653 of 2871
I get the impression that the MD 3.2 is 95% of the MDP from most of the comments I've read.
post #2654 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilasunriser View Post

I get the impression that the MD 3.2 is 95% of the MDP from most of the comments I've read.

There is definitely a difference. From above you can say that its less grainy, more detailed, more realistic slightly more transparent.

 

post #2493

 

I did a comparison there

post #2655 of 2871
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

There is definitely a difference. From above you can say that its less grainy, more detailed, more realistic slightly more transparent.

 

post #2493

 

I did a comparison there

 

+1 

 

the MDP is a nice upgrade to the 3.2

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**