Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 157

post #2341 of 2951

I had just ordered a pair of Universal Mad Dogs last week (I was told that they had been shipped out last week Monday), but it turns out that Dan held the order and upgraded the phones to the Mad Dog Pros. I am extremely happy with Mr. Speaker's customer service... I was not expecting such a nice treat. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the original Mad Dogs for a comparison, but the sound stage on these is much more expansive than I was expecting from the Mad Dog 3.2s. On top of that, the bass is just as warm as I was expecting, while being quite fast and articulate in the details. Listening to Buddha Bar now, and having a blast!

 

Thank you very much Dan!

post #2342 of 2951

What specifically about the Alpha Dog baffle contributes to the more articulate sound in the MD Pro?

post #2343 of 2951
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

What specifically about the Alpha Dog baffle contributes to the more articulate sound in the MD Pro?

 

I'm not sure exactly, but it might have something to do with the increased distance to the driver. I am also not sure if the tuning was changed at all between the 3.2 and the Pro. 

post #2344 of 2951
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

What specifically about the Alpha Dog baffle contributes to the more articulate sound in the MD Pro?

 

The rigidity and inertness of the baffle is one major aspect to this.  It's just a more stable platform for the driver, without the resonances.

post #2345 of 2951
I've had my mad dogs for a month now and have been very happy since (especially with friend and Co worker impressions). The pro version sounds perfect but how long will i be without these cans would you say?
post #2346 of 2951
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post


I may offend others saying it here but there's a reason I kept the HE500s.


Would you mind PM'ing me the reason why you like Mad Dogs over HE-500 or vice-versa ? Strengths and weaknesses !

Thanks !

post #2347 of 2951
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbass View Post
 


Would you mind PM'ing me the reason why you like Mad Dogs over HE-500 or vice-versa ? Strengths and weaknesses !

Thanks !

 

No reason for the pm. Comparisons should be written here in the thread so that everyone can see and share opinions. 

post #2348 of 2951
Thread Starter 

Just got notification that my MDP has shipped!! That was quick, thanks Dan. :biggrin:

post #2349 of 2951

I couldn't resist either and press order...:biggrin: I wonder if the customs guy will lose it seeing someone spend $400 on headphones haha

post #2350 of 2951

Looking forward to comparisons between the regular 3.2s and the Pros! If it keeps everything the same but boosts subbass and impact, color me extremely interested...

post #2351 of 2951

Dan, what's the estimated turn-around time on a MD to MDP upgrade?

post #2352 of 2951
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbass View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post


I may offend others saying it here but there's a reason I kept the HE500s.


Would you mind PM'ing me the reason why you like Mad Dogs over HE-500 or vice-versa ? Strengths and weaknesses !

Thanks !

I recently was able to borrow a pair of HE-500s to audition in my setup, and I found the Alpha Dogs to be better in most aspects of sound quality.  The HE-500 has a smooth, even quality, with a little better "micro-detail" than the Alpha Dog, but the Alpha Dog was better in every other aspect, most notably soundstage, instrumental timbre, and bass quality.  Surprisingly, the closed Alpha Dog is more "open" sounding than the open HE-500.

 

The Mad Dog 3.2 has a more "fun" sound signature than the HE-500, with a fuller bass response, which I personally prefer for EDM.  The soundstage of the Mad Dog is about equal to the HE-500 (and although I have not heard it, if the MD Pro has a soundstage that is partway between the MD and the AD, then the MD Pro soundstage is likely to be a little better than the HE-500).

 

The instrumental timbre on all the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog products is better than either the HE-400 or the HE-500.  (The bass and soundstage on the HE-400 is actually better than that of the HE-500, although the HE-500 is flatter, more natural and clearer sounding than the HE-400.)

 

This is in my system with my amps.  My reference points tend to be acoustic music recordings, although I also use electronic, EDM and rock recordings.

post #2353 of 2951
Thread Starter 

Nice impressions and I would agree with most everything that you've said. 

post #2354 of 2951
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post
 

I recently was able to borrow a pair of HE-500s to audition in my setup, and I found the Alpha Dogs to be better in most aspects of sound quality.  The HE-500 has a smooth, even quality, with a little better "micro-detail" than the Alpha Dog, but the Alpha Dog was better in every other aspect, most notably soundstage, instrumental timbre, and bass quality.  Surprisingly, the closed Alpha Dog is more "open" sounding than the open HE-500.

 

The Mad Dog 3.2 has a more "fun" sound signature than the HE-500, with a fuller bass response, which I personally prefer for EDM.  The soundstage of the Mad Dog is about equal to the HE-500 (and although I have not heard it, if the MD Pro has a soundstage that is partway between the MD and the AD, then the MD Pro soundstage is likely to be a little better than the HE-500).

 

The instrumental timbre on all the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog products is better than either the HE-400 or the HE-500.  (The bass and soundstage on the HE-400 is actually better than that of the HE-500, although the HE-500 is flatter, more natural and clearer sounding than the HE-400.)

 

This is in my system with my amps.  My reference points tend to be acoustic music recordings, although I also use electronic, EDM and rock recordings.

Something must be really wrong with your HE-500.

post #2355 of 2951

I agree something must be wrong with those HE500s. I can't say much about the Alpha Dogs since I;ve never heard them but there's no way the mad dogs have a fuller bass response or sound stage being equal to the HE500s. I lived with both for such a long period

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**