Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 147

post #2191 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by dablues View Post

Strange situation/question for the experts here:

I LOVE my Mad Dogs, but I'm worried about my new titanium glasses cutting them, with the ends of the ear arm things. So worried, in fact, that I've even put them up for trade for a Philips X1, but I would really miss them. Have any of you noticed any trouble with glasses with these, or should I just chill? Also, I got the 840 replacement pads to try, and they're more comfortable, but I notice a drop in bass. Or am I stupid?

 

The tuning is pad specific, and the 840 pads will give a different sound. That's why we don't use them anymore.

 

Not sure how the glasses cut cut the pads, but maybe you can PM me a photo?  

post #2192 of 2885

Thanks for the reply, Dan!

 

A picture really isn't possible, because it only happens on my head, but I'll describe it here.The ends of the arms of my glasses extend past the backs of my ears. These ends are titanium, and are a little bit sharp - they're not a point, but the metal isn't beveled smoothly, and thus has sharp corners. This end of the arm is pressed on by the Alpha Pads, and so I worry about them cutting the leather eventually.

 

Again, as I stated before, I'm probably worrying about it too much. I just wanted to see if others wearing glasses have run into problems.

 

Also, would you say then that the 840 pads are a bad fit for the 3.2s? I did think they were more comfortable (I'm strange, I know), so would a dog pad be better for me?

post #2193 of 2885

The tuning of each headphones is done for the specific pads.   If you change to an entirely different pad, you would want to purchase a tuning and send the headphones to MrSpeakers.

post #2194 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by dablues View Post
 

Thanks for the reply, Dan!

 

A picture really isn't possible, because it only happens on my head, but I'll describe it here.The ends of the arms of my glasses extend past the backs of my ears. These ends are titanium, and are a little bit sharp - they're not a point, but the metal isn't beveled smoothly, and thus has sharp corners. This end of the arm is pressed on by the Alpha Pads, and so I worry about them cutting the leather eventually.

 

Again, as I stated before, I'm probably worrying about it too much. I just wanted to see if others wearing glasses have run into problems.

 

Also, would you say then that the 840 pads are a bad fit for the 3.2s? I did think they were more comfortable (I'm strange, I know), so would a dog pad be better for me?

 

Not sure on the glasses, but that'd be a first.  To my knowledge other than one person who tore a pad putting it on a bit aggressively and one where we had a pad defect, there's never been an issue at all like this.  My guess is that as long as you put the phone while already wearing the glasses you're unlikely to damage the leather because you are essentially "setting" the phone onto the glasses.  If that is causing wear you'd probably see the finish come off the leather from abrasion before the leather would fail, as long as you're not poking it with a sharp point.

post #2195 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by dablues View Post

 So worried, in fact, that I've even put them up for trade for a Philips X1,

 

Just got the X1's and my initial impressions are good. Anyways, back on topic.

post #2196 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

You are asking this in the MD thread so definitely every one will tell you to get one! LOL ;-)

 

Why don't we start with a couple of questions though....

 

1) Are you planning to take them outside every time (i.e. will they be every day use/commuter/portable headphones)?

2) Which genres do you enjoy the most?

3) Since you got a V-Moda, are you a basshead?

4) Do you find the V-Moda's comfortable and do you actually like them?

 

Thanks.

 

Apologies for the super late reply.

Life has been pretty hectic lately.

Anyways, the M100's are on the way back.

Which means I'm definitely looking for something to fill my headphoneless gap that I'm living now.

 

1) They will never leave the house, I'm at my computer 12+ hours almost every day.

2) I listen to almost every genre with minimal country and jazz.

3) Bass is great, but I love accurate punchy bass over blast your face off and give you headaches bass.

4) Found them to be quite uncomfortable after less than 1 hour even after wearing them for a week.

    For the most part - I just didn't enjoy them at all to be honest.

 

So my next mission will be buying something...definitely looking at the Mad Dog the most.  Though there are a few other considerations in the price range.

I'll be buying an Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 DAC, and running it directly from my computer.

Hopefully this helps some, and once again sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

 

-Gorefiend

post #2197 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by eac3 View Post

In your opinion, Mad Dog v3.2 owners, what headphone's do you think comes close it (really similar headphone), but has more bass presence/bass colouration. Lately, I have been requiring more on the lower end but I am not sure if it something changed when I moved my Audio-gd NFB-28 setup from my home (windows 7) to school (Linux).

 

As a followup to my question to which one said Denon D600 and someone else said LCD2.2, I recently acquired a Phillips Fidelio X1, and I am having a hard time telling them apart except in a few areas: Bass and soundstage. I just wanted more low end without getting muddy and bloated and drowning out the upper end. The X1 seems to address that quite nicely, I am still using the stock cable which some say has above normal resistance causing a warmer, laid-back sound. Still burning them in.

post #2198 of 2885

That's fascinating, eac3. I just ordered a pair of X1s (instead of trading in my Mad Dogs for them). I have nothing but love and respect for the Mad Dog - I can't stop recommending it to others, and Dan is a very nice man - but for SOME reason, I just haven't been connecting with them lately, perhaps due to the weight? Not sure. Anyway, I'm not getting rid of them any time soon, because I think we all know that our tastes fluctuate and change with time. Strange, this hobby!

post #2199 of 2885

Yeah, just got the X1s in yesterday and love them. I ended up selling the Mad Dogs, but I know I'll miss them. They're a very, very good can.

post #2200 of 2885

I wonder if there would ever be a mod to make the Fostex more open? Or would that be too extensive?

post #2201 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by dablues View Post
 

I wonder if there would ever be a mod to make the Fostex more open? Or would that be too extensive?

 

They are called Alpha Dogs....

 

:-p

post #2202 of 2885

Yeah, they do look great, but I don't think they're ACTUALLY open, right? I meant something like poking literal holes in them. Clearly, I'm no engineer - just a science teacher.

post #2203 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by dablues View Post
 

Yeah, they do look great, but I don't think they're ACTUALLY open, right? I meant something like poking literal holes in them. Clearly, I'm no engineer - just a science teacher.


I think my TH900's sound as "open" as the Alpha's, which is to say neither are open but both give a sense of soundstage uncommon for closed back headphones. 

post #2204 of 2885

Yeah, I get that there are plenty of good open-sounding closed headphones - I'm going to have to check out the TH900s - but I was just thinking out loud about modifying the Mad Dogs to have literal open backs (and then doing all the requisite tuning). Just being dumb!

post #2205 of 2885

Woah! :eek: Didn't realize the TH900s were THAT expensive!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**