Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 146

post #2176 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post
 

Probably not, because they could accomplish the same thing by either a) using EQ for free, or b) upgrading to Alpha Dogs which are brighter and have more micro-detail.

1) EQ are distorters, unless its from the ware, such as a bass boost switch on an amp.

2) Alpha Dogs are too expensive:(

post #2177 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post

Then I would say they are defective.   The Alpha Dogs are a hair faster,  but the Mad Dog midrange is much more like the actual master tape than the Denon D2000 (for example).  If something is more "liquid", then it would be an added distortion.
Nope they are not defective I've had a few pairs and this is the sound. They are a more laid back sound. I prefer my Denons, I find them a bit cleaner sounding too but they both are for different useses.
post #2178 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime86 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post

Then I would say they are defective.   The Alpha Dogs are a hair faster,  but the Mad Dog midrange is much more like the actual master tape than the Denon D2000 (for example).  If something is more "liquid", then it would be an added distortion.
Nope they are not defective I've had a few pairs and this is the sound. They are a more laid back sound. I prefer my Denons, I find them a bit cleaner sounding too but they both are for different useses.

A more laid back sound IS faster.

 

The planar driver does the attack of the note and then stops.   The dynamic driver does the attack and then is still moving around, blurring the sound and causing distortion.  That distortion is "exciting" because it is more stuff going on.   The laid back, undistorted driver is making less sound because it is faster.

 

It is Bruce Lee vs Stupid Guy.   In the blink of an eye, Bruce Lee has quickly whacked the other guy and then is "laid back" waiting.  Stupid Guy is moving around, talking trash, wasting energy, and his slow strikes are easily avoided, and then Bruce Lee quickly goes "whack"....

 

Denons are famous for more bass, though, of course.

post #2179 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post
 

A more laid back sound IS faster.

 

The planar driver does the attack of the note and then stops.   The dynamic driver does the attack and then is still moving around, blurring the sound and causing distortion.  That distortion is "exciting" because it is more stuff going on.   The laid back, undistorted driver is making less sound because it is faster.

 

It is Bruce Lee vs Stupid Guy.   In the blink of an eye, Bruce Lee has quickly whacked the other guy and then is "laid back" waiting.  Stupid Guy is moving around, talking trash, wasting energy, and his slow strikes are easily avoided, and then Bruce Lee quickly goes "whack"....

 

Denons are famous for more bass, though, of course.

 

I think your definition of "laid-back" differs to what I (and probably others) usually use... and it doesn't have anything to do with "driver attack"... ...

 

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

 

So I guess that the previous poster wants to say is that the MDs are "mellow-er"...


Edited by gelocks - 1/17/14 at 12:32pm
post #2180 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post

 

It is Bruce Lee vs Stupid Guy.   In the blink of an eye, Bruce Lee has quickly whacked the other guy and then is "laid back" waiting.  Stupid Guy is moving around, talking trash, wasting energy, and his slow strikes are easily avoided, and then Bruce Lee quickly goes "whack"....

 

 I disagree.  The MD is more like a slower, older Chuck Norris, but still effective.  :)  No MD or Alpha Dog is as fast as Bruce Lee.

post #2181 of 2885

The "attack of the note" is probably a reference to Attack, Decay, Sustain, and Release envelope of music instruments.  If comparing this to the audio output of the headphones, I suppose the cup of the AD does improve the bass frequency decay over the MD cup, which might have something to do with what is implied as being mellower sounding.

post #2182 of 2885

Mad Doggies!

 

post #2183 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

 

The Alpha Dog to me is a lot faster than the MD. I can definitely understand why someone would think the MD is sluggish and slow. It is a laid back sound that isn't going to be perceived as fast. I would agree in comparison to some other headphones, the MD is slow. Not to be taken as a bad thing at all, just a signature. I would relate the comparison to something like an HE-6 vs LCD-2

 

 

How can it be a faster headphone when it uses the exact same driver?  There's a difference between sounding faster and being faster.  

post #2184 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

 

 

How can it be a faster headphone when it uses the exact same driver?  There's a difference between sounding faster and being faster.  

 

This makes no sense. Obviously everything is judged by how it sounds. When I described the AD as being faster, I mean SOUNDS faster. 

post #2185 of 2885
The enclosure is more rigid which allows the driver to accelerate more quickly..
post #2186 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

The enclosure is more rigid which allows the driver to accelerate more quickly..

That sounds scientific.  I'd love to see some numbers that show how this more rigid cup increases the acceleration. How does this impact the sound quality?  

post #2187 of 2885

Cleaner sound, better transient, faster decay => tighter sound.

post #2188 of 2885

like hitting with a stiffer tennis racket. :popcorn:

post #2189 of 2885
Thread Starter 

Without digging in the technical aspects, I'd agree that the AD sounds faster with quicker decay than the MD. The MD may still have the better appeal depending on your preference. 

post #2190 of 2885
Strange situation/question for the experts here:

I LOVE my Mad Dogs, but I'm worried about my new titanium glasses cutting them, with the ends of the ear arm things. So worried, in fact, that I've even put them up for trade for a Philips X1, but I would really miss them. Have any of you noticed any trouble with glasses with these, or should I just chill? Also, I got the 840 replacement pads to try, and they're more comfortable, but I notice a drop in bass. Or am I stupid?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**