Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 104

post #1546 of 2999

I have been watching these cans from across the atlantic for a while, and they seem pretty much spot on for what i'm looking for. Accurate bass, sweet mids and not to sibilant highs on an dark phone. And it seems so damn comfortable. 
As an Indie/folk/rock lover aswell as an avid female vocal listener i'm stuck between these and HD650.(HE 400 are ridiculous in price here) As the cost for importing MDs are the same as buying the HD650 locally, i'm not to sure as how they measure up. I do value a closed can --> Studying. (in my dreams i would get bothdt880smile.png

 

post #1547 of 2999
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post

The dogs came an hour ago and I'm listening to them at this very moment. Two nitpicks for you to be aware of:
1. The pads are quite squished together in the box (see pic). Hopefully they are not permanent.
2. When I removed the cable I noticed that there were loose plastic black bits near the hole. I carefully removed them in case they go into the 3.5 mm hole.

They don't spoil my enjoyment but I thought you'd like to know.


I don't like the pads squished. So I took a band-aid box and cut it into a rectangular shape and taped it up. Works perfectly.
post #1548 of 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I don't like the pads squished. So I took a band-aid box and cut it into a rectangular shape and taped it up. Works perfectly.

And then ? And then ?

 

BTW, since you own both, you are the ideal person to answer Callius above...

post #1549 of 2999

Seems one of those omega headphone stands would do wonders in preventing the pads from being squished in daily use. I have been hanging my MDs by the band or setting them on my desk and it seems the bottom of the pads are being compressed and deformed almost to a permanent level...

post #1550 of 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

Seems one of those omega headphone stands would do wonders in preventing the pads from being squished in daily use. I have been hanging my MDs by the band or setting them on my desk and it seems the bottom of the pads are being compressed and deformed almost to a permanent level...

 

I thought that too, but all that will do is make them squish more evenly. There is enough softness and clamp that adding anything in between will actually make the pads squish more. I hink they would have to site for a longgggg time for them to seriously be indented or creased permanently.

post #1551 of 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

Seems one of those omega headphone stands would do wonders in preventing the pads from being squished in daily use. I have been hanging my MDs by the band or setting them on my desk and it seems the bottom of the pads are being compressed and deformed almost to a permanent level...

 

I thought that too, but all that will do is make them squish more evenly. There is enough softness and clamp that adding anything in between will actually make the pads squish more. I hink they would have to site for a longgggg time for them to seriously be indented or creased permanently.

Yeah, I think you're right. Mine just have a few crease marks on the bottom of the pads, but after being on my ears for a while, looks like they're not indented at all. If they are, it's only slightly.

Off topic: In three weeks I'll be a Seattleite as well when school starts at UW! Look forward to seeing you at meets and such.

post #1552 of 2999

Best way to keep the pads from getting squished is to put the bottom "corner" of one pad in the opening of the other. I find it's just enough that it doesn't permanently bend the headband and keeps the pads about as fluffy as they can be off your head.

post #1553 of 2999
I'm going to snag a pair of Dogs as soon as my wallet will allow it. I'm also getting a custom tube amp made for me for Christmas. How do the Dogs respond to tubes?
post #1554 of 2999

The foam we use "resets" when exposed to body hit, so a distorted pad will reform as it warms.  It's not quite a "memory foam," but we really liked how it felt and isolated.

post #1555 of 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
 

The foam we use "resets" when exposed to body hit, so a distorted pad will reform as it warms.  It's not quite a "memory foam," but we really liked how it felt and isolated.

 

Dan,

 

As you know, I am using the pads on Denon D2000's, M-Audio Q40's and Ultrasone Pro900's and think they are the best pads on the market, and I can say I've tried over 15 different pads now.  Best fit, best comfort hands down. 

post #1556 of 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 

 

Dan,

 

As you know, I am using the pads on Denon D2000's, M-Audio Q40's and Ultrasone Pro900's and think they are the best pads on the market, and I can say I've tried over 15 different pads now.  Best fit, best comfort hands down. 

 

:-)  Thanks, great to hear!

post #1557 of 2999
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callius View Post
 

I have been watching these cans from across the atlantic for a while, and they seem pretty much spot on for what i'm looking for. Accurate bass, sweet mids and not to sibilant highs on an dark phone. And it seems so damn comfortable. 
As an Indie/folk/rock lover aswell as an avid female vocal listener i'm stuck between these and HD650.(HE 400 are ridiculous in price here) As the cost for importing MDs are the same as buying the HD650 locally, i'm not to sure as how they measure up. I do value a closed can --> Studying. (in my dreams i would get bothdt880smile.png

 

 

If you are looking for isolation, then of course grab the MD. You'll get all the things that you ask for at the beginning of your post. Both the hd650 and MD are slightly dark and just south of neutral. The bass on the MD is better...more linear with more weight than the hd650. While the hd650 has a little better mids offering sweet vocals. The mids on MD are good also, but I find the hd650's to be a bit more natural with less grain. Treble is a bit more capable on the MD...very resolving and never harsh. 

 

While the comfort/feel of the MD is very good, the lighter weight of the the hd650 makes them more comfortable in the long run. 

 

gL!!

post #1558 of 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

While the comfort/feel of the MD is very good, the lighter weight of the the hd650 makes them more comfortable in the long run.

I think it is hard to beat Senns in the comfort arena - I used to have HD590s and you literally would not know that you had them on your head.   "Where are my headphones?" you might say (just as people do with sunglasses). :o

post #1559 of 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Dan,

As you know, I am using the pads on Denon D2000's, M-Audio Q40's and Ultrasone Pro900's and think they are the best pads on the market, and I can say I've tried over 15 different pads now.  Best fit, best comfort hands down. 
Hi,

I received my Mad Dogs yesterday. I also have a Denon D2000 and would like to do that. One question. The driver housing of the MD is not circular so how would the fit be like on the D2000? Or are the pads originally circular and made or forced to fit the Mad Dogsmdriver housing? Which way round is it? If it fits I'll order two pairs, the other one for my HE-400. Heck maybe even three for my DT770 too. wink.gif
post #1560 of 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post

Hi,

I received my Mad Dogs yesterday. I also have a Denon D2000 and would like to do that. One question. The driver housing of the MD is not circular so how would the fit be like on the D2000? Or are the pads originally circular and made or forced to fit the Mad Dogsmdriver housing? Which way round is it? If it fits I'll order two pairs, the other one for my HE-400. Heck maybe even three for my DT770 too. wink.gif

The pads stretch just enough to fit easily on the Denon. They fit just as well on a round Q40 even tho they are oval in shape. They would fit the DT770 as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**